• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

Looks like a queen yellowjacket....they often end up inside in spring and early summer as they emerge from winter hibernation looking to build a nest. They usually winter in the attic of homes or other spots that are warmer than outside burrows and when they emerge, they often emerge the "wrong direction" and end up inside rather than outside. They are usually sluggish and don't fly fast and aggressive like the worker wasps so the risk of getting stung is pretty low. Though it's getting a little late in the season for a queen to be emerging....I stopped finding them inside about 3 weeks ago....maybe a straggler.

Just kill it but be careful as it can still sting you even after it is dead. Pick it up with a lot of paper towels or thick gloves.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like a queen yellowjacket....they often end up inside in spring and early summer as they emerge from winter hibernation looking to build a nest. They usually winter in the attic of homes or other spots that are warmer than outside burrows and when they emerge, they often emerge the "wrong direction" and end up inside rather than outside. They are usually sluggish and don't fly fast and aggressive like the worker wasps so the risk of getting stung is pretty low. Though it's getting a little late in the season for a queen to be emerging....I stopped finding them inside about 3 weeks ago....maybe a straggler.

Just kill it but be careful as it can still sting you even after it is dead. Pick it up with a lot of paper towels or thick gloves.

Holy shit. 

I trapped it under a cup, then slid the cup onto a piece of paper, slid it across the house, and got it outside. I've never been so freaked out. It escaped a couple times too and I ran. I wonder if one of the cats had found it and damaged it b/c it can't fly. Once I saw closer I saw the black and yellow stripes. 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Holy shit. 

I trapped it under a cup, then slid the cup onto a piece of paper, slid it across the house, and got it outside. I've never been so freaked out. It escaped a couple times too and I ran. I wonder if one of the cats had found it and damaged it b/c it can't fly. Once I saw closer I saw the black and yellow stripes. 

You’re making it sound like it was a spider.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

That year was one of PWM's driest on record. From July 1 through November 1 they only received ~ 5" rainfall. 

0.27" in August, 1.73" in September (but fell in basically two events), and another 0.26" in October.

I would think one of the key difference between now and then is the fact that we're greened up vs down.

And October's 0.26" came on the 29th, after the fires were pretty much under control.  Most of the fire damage came during the week Oct. 21-27 and the temps are shown below:
21   69   48
22   70   37
23   83   35   I think that's the latest that PWM has reached 83, though they hit 84 on 10/17.
24   59   26
25   65   20
26   65   37
27   73   39

The worst came on 23-24 when strong SW winds abruptly veered to NW as a dry CF passed thru, with gusts 50+ reported.  Don't know the RH but the diurnal ranges give some indication.  Forest firefighters know they cannot attack the head of a crown fire and only work in front of it from a distance when setting up fire lines and/or burnouts, but rather attack the flanks and clean up the rear (pun intended.)  That wind shift turned the right flank into the head in a few minutes, putting a lot of folks in instant danger though I think the fatalities occurred elsewhere.

23 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I am grateful that Greenfield has one of the nicest public town swimming areas I have ever been to and it is five minutes from our house!

That's sweet.  I love the natural town beaches over concrete pool jungles.

Is that the Deerfield River or part of the CT River?

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That's a stubborn pile of snow.

Short growing season under that thing.  I love how you can see where the growing season has been able to get going with the grass, and where the recent melt has been (the wet spot).

It's only at 2,000ft but man-made snow in the shade can last a long time.  It's funny how you can see where one snow gun was left on for like 2 days too many in January... just churning out 30 gallons a minute of water into snow under it.

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Short growing season under that thing.  I love how you can see where the growing season has been able to get going with the grass, and where the recent melt has been (the wet spot).

It's only at 2,000ft but man-made snow in the shade can last a long time.  It's funny how you can see where one snow gun was left on for like 2 days too many in January... just churning out 30 gallons a minute of water into snow under it.

How often do they mow the runs to keep the grass down (if at all)?

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

How often do they mow the runs to keep the grass down (if at all)?

Only once a season, starting in August and continuing through the fall.  They let it grow as high as it wants or can, then knock it down late summer.  Takes a while to cover the ski resort acreage, as its a real slow process dragging the mowing attachment behind a snowcat.  The ground cover grows quickly this time of year, and seems to max out as high grasses, ferns, and wild flowers.  That stuff goes dormant pretty fast after the first couple frosts/freezes at elevations in the early fall.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That's sweet.  I love the natural town beaches over concrete pool jungles.

Is that the Deerfield River or part of the CT River?

Green River Valley, runs right through our neighborhood, part of our unique winter CAD.   
Also, a phenomenal River with many bare ass swimming holes and also the super nice family area I posted.