Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I totally get enjoying whatever weather you want, but I don’t see the reasoning haha.  Unless kids are different now, we spent the 90/70 days in someone’s cold basement playing Golden Eye.  75F and partly sunny was like 5 hours playing whiffleball or street hockey with the neighborhood crew until your parents force you home.

Without a doubt we spent more time inside during high heat afternoons, huddled in A/C.

It was more of a joke with the pop-up clouds and shwrs you guys always get with these cold pools. LOL. 75-80 is just fine for outdoor stuff. 

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

Nothing short of a coastal hugger at this point will help the entire region. 14 days now without a drop of rain. My grass looks and smells like a freshly cut wheat field. Any water used is saved for the garden. I prefer to eat my veggies, not the grass.

56.1, at least it feels great outside right now...

Yup--a couple days of warm dews surrounded by days and days of COC days.

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

J.Spin, Alex, Phin and the mountains can pick up 1-2 feet in 7-days of 50% snow showers ha.... I’ll get 6-8” at 1.5”/day and most folks though will see some passing flurries.

Our CAD kingdom is also a downslope dandy.  If we get a moderate snow and the storm then sits and spins over Anticosti, Jackman snows for the next 3 days while I see partly cloudy.

And the RA deficit is a bit more than 2" here.  Cherrypicking the period May 17 thru today, our average is 6.35" and we've had 0.65".  GFS op shows 2.5" over the next 8 days, most I've seen on that model since April - would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.  Tomorrow we do the 7-10 and most of the rest of the qpf is out past 72 hr. 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm  sick and tired of COC. I mean a good COC is fine once in a while but too much COC is just boring. Need more excitement...this has been boring. Luckily this changes...tomorrow!!!

There are many that would probably disagree with this.

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

GFS and euro are now bone dry up here for Saturday. Congrats NYC/CT. We pray for the NAM now.

I will believe nothing, not even radar echoes, until I see the ground getting wet and drops pouring from the sky.  We mist our chickens btw, and at first they run away, but then they like it and stop breathing heavily.

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

GFS and euro are now bone dry up here for Saturday. Congrats NYC/CT. We pray for the NAM now.

Euro went from giving me an inch within 48 hours to 0 in one run and moving the jack from here to White Plains.

Today ECMWF feels like Errors Common Monday Wednesday Friday.  Sure I expect from the GFS but not the Euro.

• Haha 1

I know very little on this topic and trying to find some reputable places to become more educated on it but is the Saharan Dust into the U.S. just more media hype (not hype about the dust itself but impacts). I understand it can make for poor air quality, dim sunlight leading to less sfc heating, but what other impacts result from it. Does it impact aviation at all? 

17 hours ago, tamarack said:

The birch-beech-maple forest, aka Northern hardwoods, is also called the "asbestos forest".  However, a similar forest but with more oak burned for over a month during October (but mainly before much leaf drop) in NNJ back in 1963.  Much of the ground was a glaciated boulder field with tree and mt laurel roots and duff down within the rocks.  Fire would follow the fuel and a firefighter spraying a blaze would sometimes have another pop out of the rocks behind him (all guys back then.)  Good view from our HS, could see by smoke intensity (and smell) how the fire had progressed during the overnight.  (NJ also had about 200,000 acres burn in one day that April, but the Pine Barrens are a fire type ecosystem.)  For NNE outside that "asbestos forest", one should read "1947 - The Week Maine Burned" before getting overconfident.  And perhaps check PWM temps/precip for that October.  But even in the spruce-fir country it's extremely rare to have a crown fire in mid summer.

That year was one of PWM's driest on record. From July 1 through November 1 they only received ~ 5" rainfall. 

0.27" in August, 1.73" in September (but fell in basically two events), and another 0.26" in October.

I would think one of the key difference between now and then is the fact that we're greened up vs down.

24 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

No more severe threads...this is damn ridiculous. Screw tomorrow, screw Sunday, screw the rest of fooking summer. Nobody even mention summer anymore. It's not summer it's garbage 

It's sort of like when JBJ goes into a slump..the type of slump  where a  girl from concession is able to strike him out on 3 pitches