Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

On the bright side, the drought has made ticks almost nonexistent around here.  I have not seen one in weeks and we were inundated during spring. 

Haven't spent much time with the ticks in recent weeks, though I got one within a few yards of our lawn earlier this month.  Mosquitos ae abundant, worse than average, but the next generation should be much reduced - current swarms grew up in snowmelt puddles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

On the bright side, the drought has made ticks almost nonexistent around here.  I have not seen one in weeks and we were inundated during spring. 

I would trade for the tics over the brown tail moths, These dry conditions are the worst in that regard...............:weep:

12 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Only thing that gets me nervous about not having rain and moving is being surrounded by woods now.. another month or so I think we would have a big fire danger around here.. hope we rain soon

If we stay dry, Fourth of July should be interesting for brushfires.  I have seen quite a few posts on FB of people complaining about fireworks this year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Only thing that gets me nervous about not having rain and moving is being surrounded by woods now.. another month or so I think we would have a big fire danger around here.. hope we rain soon

Even if it didn't rain for a year I'm not sure I would fear a forest fire burning my house down in New England.  Not saying it couldn't happen but that would be pretty far down on the list of worries. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Haven’t seen many of those down here. Still the occasional swarms of blackflies though.

We have it all, If you have had poison ivy before, Just multiply that times 10, And there is no cure for the brown tail moth rash.

btm-skin-rash.jpg

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Even if it didn't rain for a year I'm not sure I would fear a forest fire burning my house down in New England.  Not saying it couldn't happen but that would be pretty far down on the list of worries. 

It's typically pretty hard to get long term drought conditions around here. Even this one is a short term drought thanks to the last month and a half. Otherwise we were running normal precip. If you are wiping out groundwater for multiple seasons then maybe your trees could get crispy. That's why it's typically surface fuels that burn and not whole forests.

Just now, dryslot said:

Grabbed a pic off the internet, Its their barbed toxic hairs that become airborne in dry conditions that can end up anywhere on your body exposed or not.

So those overly excited about the drought should keep their weenie inside?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

So those overly excited about the drought should keep their weenie inside?

Same thing the Gypsies do with the rash. I can’t tell you how many I got after doing the lawn the last 3 years during the outbreak. They’d fall out the trees and I’d get inside and at least a few were either on me or inside my shirt or shorts . The rash would last a couple weeks 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lol...I'm sure that would go well. "Hunny...it's a brown tail moth rash, I swear."

One of my best friends in high school got poison ivy when we were playing a round of golf.  He must’ve gone home and took the weenie for a walk because he had such a bad ivy outbreak on his nuts that he had to leave school early for several days in a row.  Sitting on the hard school chairs was so rough on his sack that it was getting inappropriate for him to sit in class scratching his nuts all day, lol.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Same thing the Gypsies do with the rash. I can’t tell you how many I got after doing the lawn the last 3 years during the outbreak. They’d fall out the trees and I’d get inside and at least a few were either on me or inside my shirt or shorts . The rash would last a couple weeks 

I get the obsession with AC now...

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

One of my best friends in high school got poison ivy when we were playing a round of golf.  He must’ve gone home and took the weenie for a walk because he had such a bad ivy outbreak on his nuts that he had to leave school early for several days in a row.  Sitting on the hard school chairs was so rough on his sack that it was getting inappropriate for him to sit in class scratching his nuts all day, lol.

Did you lend him a hand?

• Haha 4