Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

16 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

My quarterly water/sewer bill was $190.  Water is like 1/3 of that total bill.  

0 for both. I used to water but now concentrate on the gardens. The plants love the heat, getting huge. The grass in the shade is fine, some burnt spots in the sun. I saw some houses yesterday in flat spots with no shade where all the grass went completely dormant. Definitely need some rain. Spots all around me yesterday with inch plus amounts. 

A front limping into the region tomorrow ( Wednesday ...) with (probably) subtle but crucial theta-e pooling along and ahead of it needs to be watched for local training.  Sometimes trend in situ an air mass, in this case convection proficiency is up, is useful. We seem to have sufficiently steep mid level lapse rates, producing hit or miss gully-washers despite having been challenged with SBCAPE. Tomorrow's boundary stalls/frontalysis and would likely pool DP, so.. implicating more surface based CAPE up underneath lingering lapse structure aloft might be over producing by some ...  It doesn't take much for sensitive triggering and usually once it is pulled, some hapless town/county gets pounded for headline.  It's funny ...I was on a bike path doing 25 mile loop a couple days ago, and for about 1.5 mile's worth of distance ... it rained hard enough to gray tint the air with sun shining thru at a slant... I got to the end of the path and looped around to find this skinny glaciated CB with a crispy edge ... and as I headed back down the trail, I punched right back through the same rain shaft... At the other end of the trail, I was seeing the narrow CB that was actually being fed by yet narrower updraft edge, was still festering.  Hot and dry at either end of the bike path; and I'm of course soaked to the panty-line with wet shoes and mud on my apparel.  I go inside and shower and change and chill on the web for a bit...maybe 30 minutes... head out to the car, and that narrow CB was still festering away over the same region of space.   There's probably like 2" of rain over 2-pixel's worth of area by then, no doubt.  That was all in this air mass with no real triggers that day other than butterfly farts and unicorn dreams... So, I'm thinking/wondering that having that same air mass in place with an actual 'reason' for air convergence to align thru the area should result - we'll see.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

0 for both. I used to water but now concentrate on the gardens. The plants love the heat, getting huge. The grass in the shade is fine, some burnt spots in the sun. I saw some houses yesterday in flat spots with no shade where all the grass went completely dormant. Definitely need some rain. Spots all around me yesterday with inch plus amounts. 

it's amazing how things change in 1 week, walked the dog around the neighborhood for the first time in a few days last night and everything was brown.. 

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I am interested to see how much rain some places can squeeze out Wednesday if things train 

areas that get hit will probably get nailed pretty good...it will probably just be rather localized. But I could see 1-2'' of rain in the hardest hit spots. Forcing along/ahead of the front doesn't seem particularly strong and actually looks like there is quite a bit of dry air in the mid-levels. 

11 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

it's amazing how things change in 1 week, walked the dog around the neighborhood for the first time in a few days last night and everything was brown.. 

Not really. June heatwaves don’t get enough attention. They are brutal. Heat index, and negative precip anomalies, doesn’t capture the intensity of the sun that accompanies the heat this time of year. Anything significantly exposed to direct sunlight during a heatwave in late June just bakes.....I’d bet some of the vegetation was UV-fried more than over-dried...New England grasses don’t stand a chance...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Can you spray?

I'm gonna see if the spectricide i have will control it or get rid of it, Usually rain will keep the hairs in check in the ground which we haven't had any but this is the first time i've had to deal with it here, I had a mild case two years ago when i was vacationing on the coast.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I'm gonna see if the spectricide i have will control it or get rid of it, Usually rain will keep the hairs in check in the ground which we haven't had any but this is the first time i've had to deal with it here, I had a mild case two years ago when i was vacationing on the coast.

Should work