Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

Just now, PhineasC said:

The thunderstorm a few hours ago broke the back of the heat today. Dropped to 70 in the storm and still there now. 

Ahhh so that's where the ground cloud cover came from.  I was thinking it was smoke from a burn pile or something but seemed to be a bad idea to have a burn pile lately. 

Rain cooled air and fog/mist in the valley makes a lot more sense, ha.

2 hours ago, Hazey said:

High of 93f today. Very toasty for here. Mostly low to mid 90’s for most of the maritimes. Hot again tomorrow.

#NovaScotiaStrong

We rotted under a low level cloud/fog deck all day in my area on the south shore. Barely hit 19c for a high lol 

50 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Some friends of ours in town used to have a house with an indoor pool. They had a solar grid they would pump water through to heat the pool. It was nice

My dad had panels that did that for our domestic water at my family’s house back in the late -1970s.  It was horrendous for that.  

I’ll take a pick of the grid when I’m over there again, Pretty simple as it’s basically PVC, You can actually do the same thing with like a coil of black plastic pipe on the roof by sending the pool water up and then a return back to the pool but might look hideous but it’s very effective and the cost is minimal, Red neck solar :lol:

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Past hour and a half has taken us from 88F to 73F... it feels like a summer evening.  73/64... certainly no need for a hoodie.  It is wild that it's 8:50pm and still light enough to take the dog for a walk.

Similar here. 73/63 now after a high of 87.4°

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I’ll take a pick of the grid when I’m over there again, Pretty simple as it’s basically PVC, You can actually do the same thing with like a coil of black plastic pipe on the roof by sending the pool water up and then a return back to the pool but might look hideous but it’s very effective and the cost is minimal, Red neck solar :lol:

Yeah. The one our friends used was a big wooden box painted black inside with a glass front and black plastic pipe that ran back and forth in the box.  Passive other than the pump used to move the water.   

The our friend’s dad (who we are also friendly with) built it.  He is very handy and self sufficient 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Thanks for the response. So we cant see what the actual C temp was because it was rounded to the nearest degree. So likely it was 35 point something, say 35.7 and rounded to 36C. That makes sense. 

Still an all time record high as the latest record is the one that stands (which i never really agreed with) same with snow measurements. They usually do point out that it was a tie and list the previous years too.

IIRC the ASOS reports in degF. However it's all distributed in the hourly METARs, special obs, and 5-min obs in degC.

The problem is there is a different between the coded obs sent out in the hourly METARs and the ones for the 5min obs. The hourly METARs have a "T" grouping in the remarks that reports the temperature in tenths of a degC so that the precise conversion to whole degF can be made. Hence, 35.6C (96F) and 36.1C (97F). Basically take any reasonable whole number temp in degF and convert it to degC and round it to the nearest tenth to see what the opssible values are in the remarks section.

For example...

93F = 33.9C
94F = 34.4C
95F = 35.0C
96F = 35.6C
97F = 36.1C

You won't see 34.1C or 35.1C or 35.7C, etc in the remarks because it doesn't convert to a whole number in degF.

As for the 5min obs, all they report is the body of the coded observation and no remarks. So all you're left with is the rounded value. So you could see the :50 5-min ob be 36C (96.8F), the hourly :52 METAR 35.6C (96F), and then the :55 5-min 36C (96.8F), but in actuality they may just all be 96F. That's basically what happened with CAR today.

So take 5 1-min raw observations...
:01 93F
:02 95F
:03 94F
:04 94F
:05 93F

The official ob for :05 would be 94F since it's a 5-min running mean. If it was an hourly METAR it would get reported in the remarks as 34.4C which convert to the nice, easy rounded value of 94F. If it was a 5-min ob, only the body gets reported so the temperature gets disseminated as 34C. Websites convert that to degF which would be 93.2F even though the real actual temperature is 94F.

What we need is for the NWS/NOAA to just give us the T remarks in all observations to avoid this issue. It's not 1996 anymore...we don't need to worry about bandwidth and writing AFDs in abbreviations anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1