Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I noticed that too. Although I'm confident 8/1935 and maybe even 7/1911 would've been hotter.

3 straight 5 min obs of 36C there and a couple b2b 36C obs before that. There's a shot they snuck a 97F in there.

Could well be.  PQI reached 99 in both those months.  However, that site's hottest days are heavily weighted 1935 and earlier.  Their POR started in 1893 though they have lots of skips during the first 50 or so years.  One example is 7/1911 - they touched 99 on 7/11 but 7/1-7 is missing and elsewhere 7/4 was as hot or hotter. 

19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I noticed that too. Although I'm confident 8/1935 and maybe even 7/1911 would've been hotter.

3 straight 5 min obs of 36C there and a couple b2b 36C obs before that. There's a shot they snuck a 97F in there.

what site do you get those 5 minute obs from?

I use this for METARs but it only has hourly for KCAR https://www.aviationweather.gov/metar/data?ids=KCAR&format=raw&hours=3&taf=off&layout=on

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Question.

So why is NWS Caribou calling it 96F (there is an updated NWS Chat), when the intermediate obs are 96.8F/36C, which would be 97F for the high. Where are they getting 96 from? I've only seen reports of 95F and 97F or 35/36C. Is it an average of a time interval? From what ive understood the high temperature is a 5 min average right?

12 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Question.

So why is NWS Caribou calling it 96F (there is an updated NWS Chat), when the intermediate obs are 96.8F/36C, which would be 97F for the high. Where are they getting 96 from? I've only seen reports of 95F and 97F or 35/36C. Is it an average of a time interval? From what ive understood the high temperature is a 5 min average right?

Rounding. A 36C ob can either be 96F (35.6C) or 97F (36.1C). But when you convert it directly from 36C you get 96.8F...which isn’t really the precise temperature. 

And yes, ASOS uses a running 5 minute mean. Multiple obs are averaged for a raw 1 minute value and then those minute values are part of the running 5 min mean. However only measurements in whole degrees F are reported. So there really is no 96.8F observation. It’s just a rounding limitation.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Only 96° at CAR today. Buzzkill.

Thanks for the response. So we cant see what the actual C temp was because it was rounded to the nearest degree. So likely it was 35 point something, say 35.7 and rounded to 36C. That makes sense. 

Still an all time record high as the latest record is the one that stands (which i never really agreed with) same with snow measurements. They usually do point out that it was a tie and list the previous years too.

42 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Extends the pool season as well as making it nice and milder . Those things are great !

Some friends we know bought a heat pump heater.   Electric. Does a nice job but uses a ton of electricity.   It would more than double our monthly electric bill.  I’m fine with the blanket.  I need to make some brackets for it to rest on

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Some friends we know bought a heat pump heater.   Electric. Does a nice job but uses a ton of electricity.   It would more than double our monthly electric bill.  I’m fine with the blanket.  I need to make some brackets for it to rest on

My kids got a solar grid on the roof that the pool pump sends the water from the pool up to the roof and returns back to the pool so no extra cost, Pool was 85°F today

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, dryslot said:

My kids got a solar grid on the roof that the pool pump sends the water from the pool up to the roof and returns back to the pool so no extra cost, Pool was 85°F today

Some friends of ours in town used to have a house with an indoor pool. They had a solar grid they would pump water through to heat the pool. It was nice

My dad had panels that did that for our domestic water at my family’s house back in the late -1970s.  It was horrendous for that.  

• Like 1