• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

The North American map is pretty crazy... snowstorm going on in the northern Rockies and then a huge torch from Texas all the way to northern Canada, up and over the top of the cool pocket in the mid-Atlantic.  

Its also crazy how we will torch so much in the next 7 days while the southeastern US is expected to be below normal in the means. 

22283E42-8A63-4AF7-BD35-28FF1103FE95.png.1d91308d9b92b093c3655305fa949751.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

The North American map is pretty crazy... snowstorm going on in the northern Rockies and then a huge torch from Texas all the way to northern Canada, up and over the top of the cool pocket in the mid-Atlantic.  

Its also crazy how we will torch so much in the next 7 days while the southeastern US is expected to be below normal in the means. 

22283E42-8A63-4AF7-BD35-28FF1103FE95.png.1d91308d9b92b093c3655305fa949751.png

Cat 3 over James??

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

A real roaster today. It'll take a bit for the upstairs to cool off. These logs hold in the heat.

Very nice now. 70 and a great view. IMG_4173.thumb.jpg.3f529187cbe5c9cc4231ef4eaad2e0ad.jpg

Logs do seem to hold an insane amount of heat. Not a bad thing in our climate. I'm trying to grow tomatoes next to a South facing log wall, maybe I'll get something this time!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Still some snow on Adams. :) 

Yeah those high elevation drifts last forever.  Still a couple hiding in the upper Spruce forest around here too, got surprised two days ago when we came across them!

Knowing that most snow gets transported on W/NW winds in these parts, I’m assuming you are looking at the windward side of those peaks... has to be much more on the lee side?

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah down to 66F now off the high of 88F. 

We just eviscerated 20 degrees in the last two hours.... 43 degree rise today and already got 22 of them back by 9pm, ha.

No need for A/C when the temp rises and falls so fast.

Same here. 86 for a high after a low of 40 and already down to 61. But I still keep the AC on all the time - it just switches on when needed. Too lazy to open and close windows... (I know, that's sad)

1275A481-B886-4CC4-B55E-D58168BE688F.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I don't have A/C... :( I hope it cools off during the day soon. This is hotter than I expected.

Ha, yeah it’s been odd.  Crazy that we had highs in the 50s just over the weekend.  This afternoon was almost 40 degrees hotter than Saturday afternoon.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Ha, yeah it’s been odd.  Crazy that we had highs in the 50s just over the weekend.  This afternoon was almost 40 degrees hotter than Saturday afternoon.

Yeah, the local folks I have talked to seem to be enjoying this weather because it apparently is pretty rare for a long stretch. I would like to see some rain and thunderstorms though.

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Window Units 

I may break down and buy one. I noticed the local walmart in Gorham has them front and center and they were moving briskly.

My basement stays at 68-70 even during the peak heat so going down there is like hitting the A/C. Also, my well water is balls cold so a spray from the hose helps.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah those high elevation drifts last forever.  Still a couple hiding in the upper Spruce forest around here too, got surprised two days ago when we came across them!

Knowing that most snow gets transported on W/NW winds in these parts, I’m assuming you are looking at the windward side of those peaks... has to be much more on the lee side?

The camera is facing southwest.  You can see the rim of King Ravine on the right.  In the bottom of King Ravine is a boulder field that holds ice all summer.  There is a really cool hiking trail called Subway that winds under, over and through massive boulders, passing through areas of permanent ice.  Tons of awesome hiking trails and waterfalls in and around the ravine. 

@PhineasC that is a great access point to some of the best trails in the prezies. 

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, the local folks I have talked to seem to be enjoying this weather because it apparently is pretty rare for a long stretch. I would like to see some rain and thunderstorms though.

BML is only a few 85F+ days away from reaching their annual averages.

image.png

• Like 1

Just now, Brewbeer said:

The camera is facing southwest.  You can see the rim of King Ravine on the right.  In the bottom of King Ravine is a boulder field that holds ice all summer.  There is a really cool hiking trail called Subway that winds under, over and through massive boulders, passing through areas of permanent ice.  Tons of awesome hiking trails and waterfalls in and around the ravine. 

@PhineasC that is a great access point to some of the best trails in the prezies. 

Yep, the Appalachia/Valley Way access point is essentially across the road from my property. We already hiked up to a few of the falls. I will take it step-by-step with the kids. They wanted to scale the mountain the minute they saw it. The Randolph Mountain Club seems to be a pretty big deal, and I plan to be a part of that and donate to support the amazing work they do. They have shelters on the mountain that they pay someone to live in all year to help hikers which is amazing to me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I may break down and buy one. I noticed the local walmart in Gorham has them front and center and they were moving briskly.

My basement stays at 68-70 even during the peak heat so going down there is like hitting the A/C. Also, my well water is balls cold so a spray from the hose helps.

Don't you have an outdoor pool?  I thought I saw one in the pics when you bought the place.

8 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Can't wait...finally get to have TP stuck to the fanny and waking up in the AM with sheets plastered all over the body and as you peel them off your bare skin the tingling sensation slowly trickles from your head, down your spine, and into your legs. 

00z guidance suggests we keep an eye on next Wed-Fri.  Best we've got right now.

17 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Can't wait...finally get to have TP stuck to the fanny and waking up in the AM with sheets plastered all over the body and as you peel them off your bare skin the tingling sensation slowly trickles from your head, down your spine, and into your legs. 

Maybe even a cumulus congestus this weekend?

7 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

00z guidance suggests we keep an eye on next Wed-Fri.  Best we've got right now.

yeah it is a bit intriguing...best we have for sure :lol:  Seems to have an open wave look and those can yield some fun setups. 

Just now, dendrite said:

Maybe even a cumulus congestus this weekend?

I would even kill to see those right now