Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Looking at the models for this weekend, holy crap is Saturday looking cold.  

18z temps on Saturday afternoon on the NAM and GFS are low 50s... that’s uninstall and turn on the heat type of day.  It doesn’t even look like rain, just cold.

22FA342D-39DA-4A31-B3E6-AA5D5DD8D42E.thumb.png.26f33fc1ee04fbce3c955b30b28d336f.png

29FF3C4E-1094-4B39-80B1-8E517381E96A.thumb.png.ba022553d04d871923ee7fa9a6a84ed5.png

KMVL_2020061200_tmax_24h_360.png

• Thanks 1

This may go down as the worst severe season we've ever had. This is horrific...it sucks. Reminds me of like 2003 and 2009 where all the big events happened in NY/PA and we got screwed. Although...MA has had some decent action...can't let backyard-ism get to me but I haven't even had anything to chase ughhhhhhh

• Weenie 4

14 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This may go down as the worst severe season we've ever had. This is horrific...it sucks. Reminds me of like 2003 and 2009 where all the big events happened in NY/PA and we got screwed. Although...MA has had some decent action...can't let backyard-ism get to me but I haven't even had anything to chase ughhhhhhh

2003 was decent. At least where I was.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Might be thinking of another year...there was a year where NY/PA got hammered with damaging wind events but we kinda were left out. I also think 2003 was like the only PDS tornado watch we've ever had. 

Sounds like every year. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I feel him on the gardening/lawn stuff despite him being a bit over the top. 

Would be cool if we could have a way to bring water to a lawn or garden.   Maybe some type of metal pipe with a valve we could turn.  Then a flexible tube that we could attach it to and move. 

let’s get some top people of this  stat!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Would be cool if we could have a way to bring water to a lawn or garden.   Maybe some type of metal pipe with a valve we could turn.  Then a flexible tube that we could attach it to and move. 

let’s get some top people of this  stat!

I have two rain barrels, but need to get the downspouts into them and establish some sport of pumping mechanism. My problem for my lawn, is that I am on ledge and the soil stinks. So frequent rains help. Last year was great until about July. This year has been ok, but I've dodged a lot of the bigger rains. Just enough for most plants to be happy for now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I have two rain barrels, but need to get the downspouts into them and establish some sport of pumping mechanism. My problem for my lawn, is that I am on ledge and the soil stinks. So frequent rains help. Last year was great until about July. This year has been ok, but I've dodged a lot of the bigger rains. Just enough for most plants to be happy for now.

Shade as much as you can.  My lawn has improved over the years as I planted some trees and they've matured to give a larger expanse of shade. 

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

yeah right :lol: 

do you grow cucumbers or tomatoes? I'll eat some of those

Yep, green beans, broccoli, sweet and chili peppers,  ,oregano, basil ,garlic, celery. The green beans are crazy long like a foot, my dogs love them. I get tons of them.  Nothing better than a pasta sauce with garden tomatoes,  oregano,  garlic and basil.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Shade as much as you can.  My lawn has improved over the years as I planted some trees and they've matured to give a larger expanse of shade. 

I have hard clay that's about 2 feet thick, on a ledge to boot. I spent way too much money trying to reclaim the lawn but it was basically useless. I gave up and just treat for bugs. It is what it is. I turned lawn into gardens as much as possible.  With all our dogs and fosters we have to be careful and fence everything out. 

20200612_080608.jpg

Screenshot_20200612-083555_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yep, green beans, broccoli, sweet and chili peppers,  ,oregano, basil ,garlic, celery. The green beans are crazy long like a foot, my dogs love them. I get tons of them.  Nothing better than a pasta sauce with garden tomatoes,  oregano,  garlic and basil.

I used to hate tomatoes and then something happened and I love them...especially garden tomatoes. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I have quite a bit of oaks,  but where the sun hits...it scorches. Despite how dry it's been recently....cool temps and just enough rains have helped. It's those periods of real hot weather with no rains for days that hurts. 

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I have hard clay that's about 2 feet thick, on a ledge to boot. I spent way too much money trying to reclaim the lawn but it was basically useless. I gave up and just treat for bugs. It is what it is. I turned lawn into gardens as much as possible.  With all our dogs and fosters we have to be careful and fence everything out. 

Lava Rock says "Hold my beer". :D

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Not sure how much you can complain though......this is today's SPC outlook.  It's mid-June and no organized t-storm activity in east of F'ng Idaho.

day1otlk_1300.gif

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Epstein talks about things like drought because he caters largely to backyard gardeners.    Not agriculture etc.  

We be fine

Lol 

The REV tries way 2 hard to be a “Hype man” all 4 seasons 

Drought...ain’t gonna garner many clicks Rev

Maybe talk about when the Genetically Modified Mosquitoes released will reach us . Seems like another brilliant Idea 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I feel him on the gardening/lawn stuff despite him being a bit over the top. 

Agree.  Water table is still fine, even though the nearby Sandy River is running well below 25th percentile.  It's the top layer of soil that's dry, and that's a pain for gardeners like me who began planting in mid-late May, so the tiny plants haven't reached far below that dusty top 2".  (And given the 27 here on June 1, very glad I delayed.)  Seems like it's often dry when the garden is started here, just like it always turned cold and windy when I started the garden in Fort Kent.  The one year I held off putting out tomatoes and peppers until June's 2nd weekend it snowed on 6/9.  Always an adventure.