Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s summer. Humidity and warm. Plenty af time for 50’s in fall

81/69 right now at the ASOS... certainly feels like summer out there.  Wasn't paying attention but seems like we are getting more sun with these dews than expected.

Looks like front is through BTV as they just went westerly and dews dropped an immediate 6 degrees.

Just now, powderfreak said:

81/69 right now at the ASOS... certainly feels like summer out there.  Wasn't paying attention but seems like we are getting more sun with these dews than expected.

NNE has been the big winner for heat so far this season. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

You guys are killing SNE in the heat with dews department.  Nothing says summer like cloudy rainy 70/66

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

NNE has been the big winner for heat so far this season. 

Yeah we've had some really good timing for summer days.  Got some good downpours early this morning to water the vegetation and then break out into sunshine/dews/temps. 

I think It's about to come to an end though... mountain just disappeared from sight behind a rain curtain, looks like it's pouring as the FROPA comes through.

53 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

These northern Vermont dew points right now would make DIT proud.  This is by far the highest dews of the season at midday noon.

200611121525.gif.1911fb2932f5ee211bf5652b5b70e94e.gif

soupy and kinda gross out, may need to install to tolerate the next 4 hours until the front passes.

Just now, weatherwiz said:

The west has been extremely fascinating. Go from torch to snow in the mountains lol. That winter storm they got in parts of WY and MT was pretty sick. How common is that for June for them? 

Latest for Laramie and most snow they had in one storm all winter.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Latest for Laramie and most snow they had in one storm all winter.

I saw there was some place that had more than they had all winter...that was kinda shocking given how active it was out that way. I think parts of CO broke records or at least had like top 5. It's been crazy...I think first winter related watches came back in like mid-September.. 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

The west has been extremely fascinating. Go from torch to snow in the mountains lol. That winter storm they got in parts of WY and MT was pretty sick. How common is that for June for them? 

It's unusual, but not unprecedented. They do get pretty big June snowstorms a couple times per decade down into the 4-5k level in the northern Rockies. I recall one in June 2011 that hit them too. This storm did get snow pretty far south though....so probably rarer to get it so late into the Colorado foothills below 7k feet.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

It's unusual, but not unprecedented. They do get pretty big June snowstorms a couple times per decade down into the 4-5k level in the northern Rockies. I recall one in June 2011 that hit them too. This storm did get snow pretty far south though....so probably rarer to get it so late into the Colorado foothills below 7k feet.

I can certainly see how if they get snow events in June they can be pretty big...especially taping into Gulf moisture and drawing that into the system. These troughs which have been pushing into the west coast have been no joke. Even tomorrow...snow levels drop in to like 7,000 feet in like CA/UT and PAC NW. Big time fire danger too in some areas of NV. 

31 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I love the HRRR...sure it can definitely be done at times but if you're able to recognize those situations then you just disregard it. But outside of those situations it's pretty damn good

Sort of sounds like any model... if you can recognize the times they are wrong, they can be pretty damn good outside of those times.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's crazy how the western mountains and adjacent valleys do weather.  A guy who worked for me two winters ago now lives at the base of Aspen Highlands, he was like 80F the day prior and then it was snowing that next evening.  He only had a sloppy 1-2" from his pics at that elevation but they got like a foot like 1,000ft up the hill.  Then the sun comes out and it goes to 70F.   The dry air has to help, the wet bulb never seems to go above like 50-60F, even if it's in the 80s for surface temperature.  If it rains it gets real cold in a hurry, and then up at like 10,000ft it seems like the wet bulbs are always only in the 30s/40s at the hottest climo period in mid-summer. 

I do think those dry dew points and low wet bulbs are whey the western mountains have that climate where it can be "beautiful or snowing"... sunny and 40s for skiing but the moment it tries to precipitate it's immediate like 28F and snowing.  Unlike here in the East where we are sunny and 40s ahead of a system we can be screwed very fast.  They have none of the "antecedent air mass" concerns.... it could even be 50s in March on the slopes when the sun comes out but even so if it precipitates it'll never rain, always snow.

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lately . Not early spring 

You sure have a lot of free time lol

Said the fellow with 32,000 more posts.  ;)

Bit of moderate RA just after noon, but 90 minutes of showers brought only 0.10", to go with the overnight 0.04" deluge.  We're still in the maritime mank at 60F, doubt there will be much excitement here from the CF.