Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wait, what?  My DP hit 62 in Greenfield and I’m pretty much in “the valley”.

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Just watered the lawn, eh? It's only 62F here.

2 hours ago, Bostonseminole said:

yeah 71 seems really high.. 61.7 here

Sensor sits below house spigot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wait, what?  My DP hit 62 in Greenfield and I’m pretty much in “the valley”.

Check Tolland stem even now it’s 68. Their high dew was also 71. You’re way in NW Mass . Why would you be nearly as humid as south of pike closer to ocean? Actually hills generally have higher dews than valleys. Research it

21 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Warm night. Large state police presence with dogs about a mile from my house. State police helicopter with spotlight hovering close by 

Somebody was probably having a back yard BBQ with 12 people and no face coverings.

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Check Tolland stem even now it’s 68. Their high dew was also 71. You’re way in NW Mass . Why would you be nearly as humid as south of pike closer to ocean? Actually hills generally have higher dews than valleys. Research it

Oh’ I don’t doubt you, I’m just surprised at the differential.

17 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Oh’ I don’t doubt you, I’m just surprised at the differential.

most official stations in Northern Connecticut had a dew of about 67 this afternoon which is probably more realistic then some of these personal weather stations.  I had a PWS in my neighborhood that also reported a dew of 71.  

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Its negligible but yeah.  In the middle of the afternoon with good mixing, especially if comparing a forested hill to a field in a valley.

Here's a sounding this afternoon from the CT Valley.  The dew point increases about a degree or so with height. 

But the temperature difference is crazy.  Look at that extremely long tail on the temperature plot... that is an insane lapse rate in the lowest 1,000ft.  There's a reason DIT talks dews and not temperatures in the hills of NE CT.  The temps cool off a lot with any height outside the CT Valley.

sounding.thumb.png.d4be7703131db57fe3a18dced64cf82d.png

Just now, powderfreak said:

Its negligible but yeah.  In the middle of the afternoon with good mixing, especially if comparing a forested hill to a field in a valley.

Here's a sounding this afternoon from the CT Valley.  The dew point increases about a degree or so with height. 

But the temperature difference is crazy.  Look at that extremely long tail on the temperature plot... that is an insane lapse rate in the lowest 1,000ft.  There's a reason DIT talks dews and not temperatures in the hills of NE CT.  The temps cool off a lot with any height outside the CT Valley.

sounding.thumb.png.d4be7703131db57fe3a18dced64cf82d.png

Nope. The temp lines on a skew-t slope up and to the right. So the dew there is decreasing with height until you start getting up around 450mb.

• Like 1

Just now, dendrite said:

Nope. The temp lines on a skew-t slope up and to the right. So the dew there is decreasing with height until you start getting up around 450mb.

Ah f*ck!  You are right, the angle of the skew-t slope is greater than the slope of the dew.  I had the valley mixing with widening gap trick me into it.

I tried to give DIT the benefit of the doubt.  I should remember not to do that.  Salesman vs science.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

most official stations in Northern Connecticut had a dew of about 67 this afternoon which is probably more realistic then some of these personal weather stations.  I had a PWS in my neighborhood that also reported a dew of 71.  

Maybe the lower valley had a bigger push of humidity.   I hit a DP of 62 but 72/58 and comfy now. 

4 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

OK group weather mind, I have a very dear friend, solo paddling the Connecticut River from end to end and he will be coming through Northern New England this week.  I would greatly appreciate any local weather updates as far as storms go.  Post here or by all means message me.
Thanks!

Aren't there a bunch of dams on the Connecticut River that would prevent you from paddling end to end?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Any prolonged heat in the extended long-term?

Most forecast numbers seem to show just normal-slightly below normal temps through the next 2 weeks.

Only in Kevin's wet dreams.

7 hours ago, Henry's Weather said:

SPC extending marginal risk across NE... Can someone explain the reason? Is the cold front that strong?

Because they like to see Wiz's posts with lots of exclamation points.

• Haha 1