Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Forgot to post this one too....this was I think the earliest known photo of the tornado....though it had been on the ground for probably 10 miles at this point.

Worcester_tornado4.jpg

Do you have any photos of the weather maps that show. the Synoptic feature of that day

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Do you have any photos of the weather maps that show. the Synoptic feature of that day

It was just south of the warm front and the prefrontal trough likely triggered it

Worcester_tornadoSFCmap.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Imagine waking up in the morning to read about the Flint tornado in the Worcester Telegram and thinking to yourself "glad we don't live there".

The interesting part about reading the dozens and dozens of accounts of that storm is how few knew it was a tornado coming. So many just described it as "this big black cloud" and it never occurred to them that it was a tornado even though most of these people knew what a tornado was. A lot of it probably had to do with none of them actually ever seeing a good picture of tornado. Though there were several who immediately thought of Flint when it was about to hit them...at first they were confused and then for some of them the "lightbulb went on" when they connected the two incidents. I remember reading about one guy who initially had his family inside on the first floor...but then he thought of the Flint tornado he had heard/read about earlier that day and immediately rushed everyone to the basement....and his house sustained very heavy damage. The last second move likely saved his family's life.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The interesting part about reading the dozens and dozens of accounts of that storm is how few knew it was a tornado coming. So many just described it as "this big black cloud" and it never occurred to them that it was a tornado even though most of these people knew what a tornado was. A lot of it probably had to do with none of them actually ever seeing a good picture of tornado. Though there were several who immediately thought of Flint when it was about to hit them...at first they were confused and then for some of them the "lightbulb went on" when they connected the two incidents. I remember reading about one guy who initially had his family inside on the first floor...but then he thought of the Flint tornado he had heard/read about earlier that day and immediately rushed everyone to the basement....and his house sustained very heavy damage. The last second move likely saved his family's life.

Wish something like that would happen now 

Wish we lived there then 

• Haha 1

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

I wonder if there would be more or fewer deaths if the same event happened today.
Prob fewer due to warning but there are a lot more people  

I think the death total would be higher because of the increase in population. Where would people go if warned? 

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I wonder if there would be more or fewer deaths if the same event happened today.
Prob fewer due to warning but there are a lot more people  

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I think the death total would be higher because of the increase in population. Where would people go if warned? 

It's an interesting debate on that one....my gut says less people would die, but the areas in Holden where the tornado tracked definitely have a lot more people than in 1953. North Worcester area hasn't had a big population increase since those days....some....but nothing like Holden. Most of the neighborhoods in N ORH where the storm tracked were already built in 1953.

People being caught in their end of day commute could offset the warning available nowadays vs 1953.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's an interesting debate on that one....my gut says less people would die, but the areas in Holden where the tornado tracked definitely have a lot more people than in 1953. North Worcester area hasn't had a big population increase since those days....some....but nothing like Holden. Most of the neighborhoods in N ORH where the storm tracked were already built in 1953.

People being caught in their end of day commute could offset the warning available nowadays vs 1953.

The Flint tornado along with other tornadoes led to a debate in Congress regarding the possible link between  the atomic bomb testing and tornadoes. The theory was quickly dismissed. 

I wonder if the present day warning system had been in place if it  would have led to people going to fallout shelters back in 1953. Growing up in the 60's and 70's I was well aware of where the fallout shelters were located. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

That's your classic morning WF passage with storms like we had on 6/1/11. Rapid destabilization after passage.

Add the July 10, 1989 to the similar setup; morning WF passage and then monster afternoon / early evening event... 

• Like 1

I grew up on the south shore - born 1963, the Worcester tornado was the Blizzard of '78 back when I was a child. Spoken about in awe. My father's side of family had relatives in Shrewsbury who experienced it first hand. Another similar event was the Hurricane of '38, my grandmother was literally spooked by thunder storms and high winds to the end of her life given the trauma of that event.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Check normals for date and then compare to hot 

I always think you mean hot as in it feels hot out.  BDL’s temp is up there relative to normal for sure.

Today was perfect up in your and Metherb’s hood.  

Low 80s and low dews.  Chamber of Commerce all the way.  Now back in the 70s, great evening underway.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Today?

Yup.  Really bizarre.  I heard it crash down and caught a glimpse of it in my side-view.   I initially thought I had driven over a big branch but then saw the big tree lying across the road.  I could not have been more than 3 seconds ahead of it at 25mph.  My daughter was washing we had been hit and that I had been driving my car instead of my wife's.  Alas, no Tesla today.  :)