Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

27 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Houses - report said 8 were destroyed, though only the one fellow had to run for his life.  Wonder if that slide was due to similar conditions to the one in Smuggs - melting snow and quick warmth turning loose the hillside.  I'd read that Norway had AN snowfall this winter, saw a pic of equipment opening a road thru the high country that looked like the oft-posted one from the Japanese Alps, though the sides of the "canyon" looked more like excavator work than auger.

There was still some snow in the background of that slide video.  Yes, I am a snow weenie.  Giant mudslide destroying property and threatening lives and my eye wanders to the snow in the background and thought "Living there would probably bump up my annual snowfall".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

53 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Oh don’t worry, I’m taking care of all the right plants.

this is the first year I’ve actually done some container gardening.  Tomatoes love the big pots. I mulched all of my greens and peppers in the ground and I’m turning an old 50 foot garden hose into a soaker hose.

Steady rain here now

53 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

this is the first year I’ve actually done some container gardening.  Tomatoes love the big pots. I mulched all of my greens and peppers in the ground and I’m turning an old 50 foot garden hose into a soaker hose.

I have done containers for 10+ years, Soil sucks here but i can grow some massive plants and it doesn't matter what kind of plant either...:)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We use pots for tomatoes.  We had one plant produce over 55 tomatoes last August...I forget the final tally.  That plant is in a special tomato container that has a watering reservoir and special soil, but even still...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We use pots for tomatoes.  We had one plant produce over 55 tomatoes last August...I forget the final tally.  That plant is in a special tomato container that has a watering reservoir and special soil, but even still...

I use these...

image.png.5de69c58722189faf3f31100ab2d97a4.png

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That's cool!  What is the bottom made of?  Or what do you use besides the bin/container

The bottom is actually the lid for the container, I trim it to fit inside the container, Use mainly 18 gal Rubbermaid roughnecks, They last 4-5 yrs or so before the sun drys them out.

Container1.JPG.d4fdfbe45d3b1b6eabd63939fb94ff42.JPG

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That one is similar, But i make my own containers now and have for several years on the cheap with excellent success, Can make any size you want too.

Container.JPG.e0cb8d78e330017ff7c90135cceee839.JPG

that is really impressive!  Do the rootballs go into the holes and then a lot of the plant gets buried so it can spread out it's roots?

8 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

that is really impressive!  Do the rootballs go into the holes and then a lot of the plant gets buried so it can spread out it's roots?

I fill the two holes with moist packed potting mix, That becomes the wick system for the container, Then the rest of the bin is filled with potting mix so the depth of the container becomes 10" or so and the roots actually will seek the water reservoir thru the smaller holes.

052416.JPG

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

84/57 here at 12:15pm.  

Looks like 84/55 at BML.

Can probably make a run to the upper 80s for the mountain valleys.

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Damn, just cracked 70F here at noon.  72/66

SNE heat bust today

2020060517_metars_alb.gif