Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday, May 15, 2020 Severe Weather Potential

weatherwiz

On 5/15/2020 at 7:54 PM, radarman said:

Lots of your typical, to slightly more than typical, spinup sigs on the leading edge.  Folks commenting on NWS chat.  Most are probably fairly innocuous, with trees and branches maybe coming down here and there.  The one in Whately caught my eye a little bit.

It was tough timing because the line was through by the time ALY would launch a balloon, and GYX was firmly in the marine influence by then. But model forecasts across southern NH were like 45 knots 0-3 km shear. Which gives you a lot of wiggle room for mesovortices. 

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

It was tough timing because the line was through by the time ALY would launch a balloon, and GYX was firmly in the marine influence by then. But model forecasts across southern NH were like 45 knots 0-3 km shear. Which gives you a lot of wiggle room for mesovortices. 

Yeah the cell that went through S NH did look impressive.  We were seeing high velocities and some sheat on the edge of our range particularly through Richmond.   But our view isn't great up there by any means.  

This was the spinup sig that went through Whately, MA I mentioned.  The line was moving pretty fast so a lot of the couplet is obscured by mean storm motion.  But we did see a tightening that I think is real and not a radar artifact.  And the reflectivity signature is compelling, especially at the end as it crosses the river, though it lags the most notable rotational sig.  Not that it really matters... Straight line winds caused the vast majority of the damage.

20200515_whately_ref_sm.gif.953b225d3a0a1bfe473bc03b11f40ec5.gif20200515_whately_vel_sm.gif.132ed618f7a6162b730a533cd3338f7d.gif