Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
cold wave and interior snow threat 5/8

forkyfork

24 minutes ago, Animal said:

Snow flurries here at the moment...looks like the middle of December outside.

Other than the greens and flowers...

18 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Maybe a blend of snow, graupel, and rain as the atmosphere destabilizes later.

I want it to happen after midnight. Today tied the late snowfall record, after midnight would set a new record. I'm all about new records :) 

31.1° and an inch of fresh snow still on the ground. Looks amazing against the pink flowering trees. Bottomed out at 28.3° this morning.

Was wondering if I'd ever see accumulating snow in May again, especially with how warm the planet is becoming. It's been a 43 year wait to see it again but was worth it for the novelty of it. It doesn't make up for the worst winter ever, but it's a nice attempt at an apology from mother nature.

This is why you can't plant around here until the middle of May at the earliest.

• Like 6

I believe this is the first time that the May monthly minimum temperature in NYC was colder than April.

Monthly Lowest Min Temperature for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Year
Apr
May
Season
2020 36 34 36
2019 33 42 33
2018 32 48 32
2017 37 44 37
2016 26 43 26
2015 32 48 32
2014 31 49 31
2013 33 42 33
2012 38 49 38
2011 35 46 35
2010 40 41 40
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

31.1° and an inch of fresh snow still on the ground. Looks amazing against the pink flowering trees. Bottomed out at 28.3° this morning.

Was wondering if I'd ever see accumulating snow in May again, especially with how warm the planet is becoming. It's been a 43 year wait to see it again but was worth it for the novelty of it. It doesn't make up for the worst winter ever, but it's a nice attempt at an apology from mother nature.

This is why you can't plant around here until the middle of May at the earliest.

I don’t plant until the last week of May Typically. Latest freeze in my area has been May 23rd

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I believe this is the first time that the May monthly minimum temperature in NYC was colder than April.

Monthly Lowest Min Temperature for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Year
Apr
May
Season
2020 36 34 36
2019 33 42 33
2018 32 48 32
2017 37 44 37
2016 26 43 26
2015 32 48 32
2014 31 49 31
2013 33 42 33
2012 38 49 38
2011 35 46 35
2010 40 41 40

1878 had a min of 42 in April and 40 in May...2010 just missed...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

lol at starting a thread for snow in almost mid May. Even if everything came together perfectly, it would have been nothing but white rain outside of the highest elevations. 

I’m glad Mother Nature came to her senses and punted this mess. Time to bring on the nice weather. Memorial Day is 2 weeks from Monday. 

33 minutes ago, Animal said:

Mt Holly nws is calling for rain showers with possible grauple in the heaviest showers.

snow squalls would be unprecedented 

Yep the nws offices aren't too impressed, but there is decent activity firing up in Central NY/Northeast PA which matches what the HRRR has been showing. Don't think that snow would be that widespread as shown by that radar loop, but for any places that get into some decent radar returns, perhaps some rain at the onset follow up by some frozen (graupel, some snow) mixing in shortly thereafter? You have a better chance at seeing frozen than those of us close to NYC.

Even in places with no frozen, winds will be interesting.

4 minutes ago, Ace said:

Yep the nws offices aren't too impressed, but there is decent activity firing up in Central NY/Northeast PA which matches what the HRRR has been showing. Don't think that snow would be that widespread as shown by that radar loop, but for any places that get into some decent radar returns, perhaps some rain at the onset follow up by some frozen (graupel, some snow) mixing in shortly thereafter? You have a better chance at seeing frozen than those of us close to NYC.

Even in places with no frozen, winds will be interesting.

I checked the most recent hrr run

thats snow!!

F3A0BE65-D3A5-493E-9781-3EB9DEB0416E.png

• Like 1

Taken this morning in High Point State Park, about an hour and a half and 50 miles northwest of the city.  Suprisingly, some of that snow was a little more powdery then we might expect for this time of year.  I think the park made it down to 24 overnight.  

High Point Snow.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

Spotty flurries in Piscataway.

Just unreal 850 mb temps.

What amazes me is the temp on my thermometer reads 47 degrees with these flurries coming down. I've seen snow with temps in the low 40s before, but never the upper 40s. This is crazy.