Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Saturday, May 9, 2020 Fun

weatherwiz

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Buddy of mine heading up to the top of Kibby Mtn to service one of the wind turbines up to the farm this morning.

Kibby.png

Are these turbines actually near the summit of Kibby? I haven't been up around there yet, but from high spots in Rangeley/Carrabassett area you can see a prominent conical peak some distance to the NE that I thought might be Kibby, but I don't recall seeing turbines on it.

2 minutes ago, uncletim said:

Are these turbines actually near the summit of Kibby? I haven't been up around there yet, but from high spots in Rangeley/Carrabassett area you can see a prominent conical peak some distance to the NE that I thought might be Kibby, but I don't recall seeing turbines on it.

There pretty scattered around the peak some on both sides as well

image.thumb.png.822d37a5a011134622a6f50af196b362.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

That area is such a weenie spot....too bad we don't have consistent obs up there. They must get destroyed with upslope too that goes unrecorded (also terrible radar coverage there).

In spades!  With co-ops in Allagash, Clayton Lake and Pittston Farm no longer reporting, I don't think there are any co-ops between Jackman and Fort Kent.  (Not many full time residents either but weenies don't care, otherwise no pics from Kibby would show up here.)  Also wish there were obs from Deboullie summit, or Rocky Mt 15 miles NW from Debo - 1,000+ feet lower than Kibby but 110-120 miles farther north.  Less upslope but all those systems running down the St. Lawrence pile up around those hills.

Was hoping for at least some measurable from this event.  In 22 years only had the 0.3" on 5/13/2002 - while the Farmington co-op had 3.0" six miles to my west.

24 minutes ago, uncletim said:

Kibby is almost due north from those vantage points. Might be seeing Coburn.  And for pack retention without snowmaking (or municipal snow dumps) I'd nominate Chimney Pond.  Set a new depth record for Maine there, 94" in Feb 2017, dethroning Farmington's 84" in Feb 1969.  Elevation near 3,000' and the Katahdin massif immediately south, that place gets very little direct sunlight, probably just an an hour or 3 until within 6 weeks of the solstice.

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Kibby is almost due north from those vantage points. Might be seeing Coburn.  And for pack retention without snowmaking (or municipal snow dumps) I'd nominate Chimney Pond.  Set a new depth record for Maine there, 94" in Feb 2017, dethroning Farmington's 84" in Feb 1969.  Elevation near 3,000' and the Katahdin massif immediately south, that place gets very little direct sunlight, probably just an an hour or 3 until within 6 weeks of the solstice.

Thanks! Checking out the Gazetteer, it looks like Coburn would present the right aspect, and I see what you mean about Kibby being more N. I've actually got a pic from Saddleback but I don't want to get so far afield from the thread topic.

51 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Another bday...enjoy it. May it snow in your yard, as always.

Thank you kindly. In my little patch of NYC UHI heaven, I may,  the way things are progressing with coastal climate, have to look at the feasibility of a roof snow making machine. That’s if my roof effect snow can reach the ground before melting on contact. As always .....

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like Ithaca and Binghamton out in NY are just seeing some run of the mill light snow in the afternoon in mid-May. 

KITH 081956Z 34010KT 5SM -SN BR OVC020 02/01

KBGM 082038Z 36012KT 1 3/4SM -SN BR BKN017 BKN024 OVC029 02/M01

BGM is actually seeing snow? Meanwhile like 90 minutes south of there I'm 43/40 and just raining