Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Saturday, May 9, 2020 Fun

weatherwiz

8 minutes ago, klw said:

So lets summarize where things are after the 06Z runs:  

GFS hits northern Virginia, NAM and Euro are SNE while the Canadian and Ukie are along the Canadian border.

Is this right?  Beautiful to see such model consensus 3 days out.

Why should model consensus be any different in spring than winter? 

5 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Widespread power issues, even with leaf out you need 5-6” or more. 

ehhh I would think probably even 4'' would start to do so. Back in 2011, just before we had the snow event I remember Denver area getting like 3-5'' of heavy, wet snow and they had widespread power outages and tree damage...I remember this b/c after our event I think it was brought up on here and that should have been an indicator to what would happen here given we were getting double or triple those totals. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

October storm stuff came down like crazy after about 1.5” or so. There was stuff snapping from then on. 

I guess maybe the snow was a little lighter in Greenfield in the Oct 11’ event but we didn’t start having limbs go until well over 4”. 

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I guess maybe the snow was a little lighter in Greenfield in the Oct 11’ event but we didn’t start having limbs go until well over 4”. 

I was in VT for that, however, my boss at the time lived in Windsor and he said things started snapping at like 2''...then after about another inch or two shit started hitting the fan

Just now, weatherwiz said:

I was in VT for that, however, my boss at the time lived in Windsor and he said things started snapping at like 2''...then after about another inch or two shit started hitting the fan

What were snow totals in the Hartford area from that storm?  Greenfield was 14” of fairly heavy but the hills had 20” or more of fluff. 

Not my picture but Berkshire East had this picture posted in their lodge for a long time.  Powder magazine came out and spent half the day trying to get this one shot. Skiing was almost impossible that day, mountain was not steep enough.  

pw-tfater_halloweennoreaster-6.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:
BDL had 12.3” and I’m almost certain all of that fell with temps 33-34

yeah from what I heard the snow was incredibly heavy. I'll never forget coming back down from VT the day after the storm. Got to about Springfield on 91 and saw some trees and limbs down along side the highway but got into CT and it was holy ****. Got to Hartford and it was a disaster. I think I took like 100 storm photos from that. Side street near my house was completely covered with leaves and limbs...looked like a tornado went down the street. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

yeah from what I heard the snow was incredibly heavy. I'll never forget coming back down from VT the day after the storm. Got to about Springfield on 91 and saw some trees and limbs down along side the highway but got into CT and it was holy ****. Got to Hartford and it was a disaster. I think I took like 100 storm photos from that. Side street near my house was completely covered with leaves and limbs...looked like a tornado went down the street. 

It was mainly 31-32 here and the last hour dropped into the upper 20’s. As much damage as we had here.. elevations under 700’ was noticeably worse 

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It was mainly 31-32 here and the last hour dropped into the upper 20’s. As much damage as we had here.. elevations under 700’ was noticeably worse 

There was a distinct exit marker on 91...want to say around exit 37 where the damage went from spotty to just widespread. It was insane. 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Yup after a couple inches and looking at the radar you knew it was going to be bad and historic.. was outside listening to constant gunshot  blast after we reached  6 or so.. I remember calling 911 because a power line was on fire and they said we'll  see what we can do and hung up

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

We had 22" in that with no branches or trees down.  But it was pure powder

In ORH, there was relatively little tree damage up on winter hill, but once you were down below about 600 feet it was really noticeable. Pretty amazing actually.