• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2020 cold snap; record cold, possible snow?

michsnowfreak

15 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

0.26" at MKE thus far.

Nice, thanks..  The way the wind was howling I bet they even did a little better than that with qpf.  I don't trust in windy events the accuracy of their QPF numbers.  I didn't want to go too weenie on my 0.25" estimate but I'd bet my last brisket in the freezer that it rained all of a 0.25" the first 3 hrs IMBY..  Good luck estimating what QPF has fallen as snow now for 3 hrs.  I haven't looked at the radar at all so who knows maybe my back yard was in a better spot  or vice versa than MKE.  Shrugs

Another hr straight of mood snow.  Its been feeling like it wants to shut off but its still putting out.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Mixing with snow now here in the heavier bursts, temp 37. Crazy for 3PM on May 10.

That's 3 days in a row where the Southern Great Lakes have had snowflakes falling during the peak heating of a May day, when average temperatures are in the upper 60s. Just crazy as we are only 6 weeks away from the strongest sun of the entire year.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Another burst of wet snow mixed in at the tail-end of a shower that just passed through.  You can see that just aloft the precip is all snow, so if a heavy enough burst lasted more than 5 minutes it would have been capable of shifting over to heavy snow at the surface.  Unfortunately the showers are fairly small in nature.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Sister is getting accumulation in st clair shores JUST northeast of Detroit. I may have to stay up. Some of Detroits northern suburb webcams are just nuts

20200510_233003.jpg

I had to go check this out. Pics and video coming but wow a solid 1-2” at least between Chesterfield and Richmond. 

I've never seen a more wild night in May before. I could hear the rain pelting on the roof then almost instantly it turned silent, I looked outside and absolutely pouring huge dendrites. The snow stuck immediately and it continued to pour snow for over an hour, then as the heavy returns moved out the snow lightened up and began mixing back with rain and now it is all rain. It turned into an instant mid may Winter wonderland, 0.7" of slushy snow, and now it is almost all gone a few hours later. Will post pics tomorrow, so crazy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

First time in my life I've seen accumulating snowing May.  Josh said it best: crazy.

image.png.090366a47216913c7008783145d0ee2e.png

What a time.

I suspect YYZ will come in ~1.5cm for today. I doubt we'll beat May 1976. I remember at the end of April, I was a bit frustrated we couldn't crack 140cm (55.1"), as we fell short by a mere 0.8cm at YYZ. As of yesterday, we were only 0.4cm away and after today we'll likely cross 140cm. YYZ will end up recording more snow in May than April. :arrowhead:  Don't think that's ever happened even going back to 1840. 

2020 is on a serious roll. I wouldn't be shocked to see snow in June, or even worse, as early as September. :lmao: 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

What a time.

I suspect YYZ will come in ~1.5cm for today. I doubt we'll beat May 1976. I remember at the end of April, I was a bit frustrated we couldn't crack 140cm (55.1"), as we fell short by a mere 0.8cm at YYZ. As of yesterday, we were only 0.4cm away and after today we'll likely cross 140cm. YYZ will end up recording more snow in May than April. :arrowhead:  Don't think that's ever happened even going back to 1840. 

2020 is on a serious roll. I wouldn't be shocked to see snow in June, or even worse, as early as September. :lmao: 

There were flakes flying in the air this morning in the downtown core, though no accumulation.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

What a time.

Add in the number of nights with hard freezes, the days with at least >T of snow, this is probably a once in a lifetime May for us.

First measurable snow = Nov 6, last (hopefully) May 11, 2020 = 188 days.  That's gotta crack a top 10 I'd think.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Add in the number of nights with hard freezes, the days with at least >T of snow, this is probably a once in a lifetime May for us.

First measurable snow = Nov 6, last (hopefully) May 11, 2020 = 188 days.  That's gotta crack a top 10 I'd think.

I agree. Rare to see this type of cold in May especially at night. We'll likely dip to ~25F tonight if skies clear up. 

Going to look into that. Remember in some winters we saw our first measurable snow by mid October. I think our earliest ever would have to be in 1965-66. First measurable snow: Oct 28, last May 12 = 197 days.

Edit: Second half of May 1966 was much warmer and we seem to be on the same path this year. Also a Nino year, albeit much stronger. 

• Like 1

What a night it was last night. Was watching guidance and saw some was attempting a flip to snow about 24-36hrs before the event. I figured if there was enough dynamic cooling coupled with increasing CAA and the loss of solar heating, that snow was certainly possible. Seeing parts of Chicago switch to snow in the daytime yesterday gave more confidence that we’d flip to snow. Sure enough, the flip happened. The snow became moderate to heavy and stuck to elevated surfaces. The precip switched over quicker, and lasted as snow longer, in northern Macomb and St Clair Counties. Here, a couple inches of snow fell, even getting a slushy accumulation on the concrete and roads. As mentioned in other posts, it’s a rare and historic snowfall. This cold wave is one to remember. 
Video: 

hcX5X9d.jpgNBbLeZT.jpg

RfGrwxt.jpg
VyYEoi6.jpg

oO5UP1P.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

What a night it was last night. Was watching guidance and saw some was attempting a flip to snow about 24-36hrs before the event. I figured if there was enough dynamic cooling coupled with increasing CAA and the loss of solar heating, that snow was certainly possible. Seeing parts of Chicago switch to snow in the daytime yesterday gave more confidence that we’d flip to snow. Sure enough, the flip happened. The snow became moderate to heavy and stuck to elevated surfaces. The precip switched over quicker, and lasted as snow longer, in northern Macomb and St Clair Counties. Here, a couple inches of snow fell, even getting a slushy accumulation on the concrete and roads. As mentioned in other posts, it’s a rare and historic snowfall. This cold wave is one to remember. 
Video: 

hcX5X9d.jpgNBbLeZT.jpg

RfGrwxt.jpg
VyYEoi6.jpg

oO5UP1P.jpg

great pics. What city was the video with the accumulation that looked close to 2"?