• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2020 cold snap; record cold, possible snow?

michsnowfreak

1 hour ago, Toronto4 said:

There has been on and off intense snow showers in downtown Toronto in the last few hours. One minute it’s sunny and the next minute there’s an intense squall.

It looks like the downtown Toronto station at the U of T set a record low for May 9th. The old record is -1.7C (28.9F) set way back in 1850. The 6am temp was -1.8C (28.8F).

And if the RDPS/HRDPS/GFS is correct, we could be seeing more snow on Monday morning  on the backside of a clipper low. That low will drag more cold air and another night of below freezing weather is likely Tuesday morning.

15 years without a subfreezing May temperature at YYZ and all of a sudden we'll probably end up with 4 or 5 days this month below freezing.  It's incredible.  Noticing a lot of early blooms too due to the warm stretch we had in late March and early April.  Hopefully not too much damage to trees/shrubs.

These clippers love to miss us to the south and west so I was surprised to see everything shift back north at 12z.  Gonna play a hunch that we mostly get whiffed still but we'll see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

And we were only 0.9C away from breaking the all-time record set back in 1966. A few more sub-zero lows to get through before we see some warmer weather later  next week just in time for the long weekend.

Been seeing on and off snow flurries all day today. Curious to know if YYZ ends up recording more than a trace today. We recorded 0.4cm back in May 2013. 

Remarkable we even approached that record given the UHI impact is much greater now at YYZ than it was in the 60s.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

15 years without a subfreezing May temperature at YYZ and all of a sudden we'll probably end up with 4 or 5 days this month below freezing.  It's incredible.  Noticing a lot of early blooms too due to the warm stretch we had in late March and early April.  Hopefully not too much damage to trees/shrubs.

These clippers love to miss us to the south and west so I was surprised to see everything shift back north at 12z.  Gonna play a hunch that we mostly get whiffed still but we'll see. 

The most May snow ever recorded at YYZ was 2.3cm back in 1976. Prior to that, you'd have to go back to May 1923 where Toronto recorded 3.8cm (1.5"). I doubt we'll beat May 1976 even with the potential clipper snow. A majority of the precip will likely fall in the afternoon and daytime heating won't allow for any accumulations. Unprecedented times were living in. 

On a side note, let's not forget the records we broke back in early November. Rare to see that much snow and cold temperatures so early in the season. 

FWA really tanked last night, bottoming out at 23°.  That crushed both the record low for 5/9 (1947) and the all-time May record low of 27°. It actually fell to 29° by midnight, which tied the record low for 5/8.

I think I saved everything in my garden except my cucumber plants. I ran out of stuff to cover them. We could see some frost Tuesday morning, so we're not out of the woods yet.

May is properly named, as it may be 23° (like this morning), it may be 75° (like the end of this week), there may be severe weather (like tomorrow for eastern IN/western OH), there may be strong winds ( like every other day this spring, it seems).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

FWA really tanked last night, bottoming out at 23°.  That crushed both the record low for 5/9 (1947) and the all-time May record low of 27°. It actually fell to 29° by midnight, which tied the record low for 5/8.

I think I saved everything in my garden except my cucumber plants. I ran out of stuff to cover them. We could see some frost Tuesday morning, so we're not out of the woods yet.

May is properly named, as it may be 23° (like this morning), it may be 75° (like the end of this week), there may be severe weather (like tomorrow for eastern IN/western OH), there may be strong winds ( like every other day this spring, it seems).

Just read that info on CNN news article.  Well, at least we won't be able to say that cold air was lacking for our spring severe season in the U.S.  My tulips are still blooming down here and my peonies just getting ready to open.  Just heard it got down to 27 at Indy, a record for May.

• Like 1

Another example of the wildly variable weather is my p-n-c for tomorrow night:

Sunday Night
Rain showers likely, possibly mixing with snow after 2am, then gradually ending. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. Northwest wind around 15 mph, with as gusts as high as 35 mph.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Another example of the wildly variable weather is my p-n-c for tomorrow night:

Sunday Night
Rain showers likely, possibly mixing with snow after 2am, then gradually ending. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. Northwest wind around 15 mph, with as gusts as high as 35 mph.

All you need is a :twister:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Got down to 27 here. 

The low of 31 at ORD (Midway also 31 fwiw) is the coldest temp this late in the season in Chicago since 2002. 

By my count, only 6 years on record have had a later freeze than this one (usual caveats about observation location).

Hey Hoosier. KIND got down to 27. KLAF only dropped to 28. How many times does that happen?

16 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

The most May snow ever recorded at YYZ was 2.3cm back in 1976. Prior to that, you'd have to go back to May 1923 where Toronto recorded 3.8cm (1.5"). I doubt we'll beat May 1976 even with the potential clipper snow. A majority of the precip will likely fall in the afternoon and daytime heating won't allow for any accumulations. Unprecedented times were living in. 

On a side note, let's not forget the records we broke back in early November. Rare to see that much snow and cold temperatures so early in the season. 

A few tenths did actually accumulate yesterday, making it the snowiest May 9 on record. :lol:

Like you pointed out, that happened in May 2013 too so it's not without precedent.  Now, if we do manage to pick up a layer of slush tonight, it'll be interesting to see if we've ever had multiple May days with accumulating snowfall. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

Here's pretty much a first: urban areas as snow and the more rural areas in between as rain.

https://fox6now.com/weather/maps-and-radar/interactive-radar/

So weird.  Yesterday When I saw Detroit dropped to 27 I was thinking the rural areas must have been in the upper teens to low 20s but pretty much everyone was in the mid to upper 20s. 

13 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Wind chills range from 24-27 over south-central/southeast WI early this afternoon.  Brutal.

It's 65 at Fairbanks AK right now.  They're gonna make a run at 80 this afternoon.  :lol:

It actually doesn't feel that bad out there....with a winter coat.  Looks to be an early afternoon low after likely a 1am high today.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Even with that length of period, I take it no accums?

Nope not even close to any sticking.  The snow intensity has been mostly plenty worthy of accumulation though if it wasn't noon on May, 10th. 

Have to think this could have been a WWA  type event with some good blowing snow.  QPF hasn't been lacking. Thinking if I had a rain gauge we'd be over  0.25"   Going on 6 hrs now of precip.

It was gorgeous out before the rain hit this AM.

44 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

Nope not even close to any sticking.  The snow intensity has been mostly plenty worthy of accumulation though if it wasn't noon on May, 10th. 

Have to think this could have been a WWA  type event with some good blowing snow.  QPF hasn't been lacking. Thinking if I had a rain gauge we'd be over  0.25"   Going on 6 hrs now of precip.

It was gorgeous out before the rain hit this AM.

0.26" at MKE thus far.