• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2020 cold snap; record cold, possible snow?

michsnowfreak

22F here about 6:30 per the airport unit. Possible at the 6 hour summary, we had a 21F in between 20 min OBS. Waiting to see. Surprisingly little frost apparent here in town tho. Just a hint on the back lawn. I expected everything to be solid white. In the meantime, I'm running lamps under covers to keep some early decorative flowers from being a waste of stimulus $$

• Like 1

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Thanks don!

One more pic from today, during the heaviest snow shower of the day. What sights for May 8th. The wind has now died down, the skies cleared and it feels like winter.

96509463_10113302936854723_7410925395907

Crazy. Last evening I could see elevated Lake Effect SHSN but it was not reaching the ground around here. You must have gotten some help from that system over your way? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Snowfall at Detroit during the 2 winters was very close (1989-90 had 41.8" and 2019-20 had 43.2"). Although 1989-90 was quite a bit colder over all, both had out of season blasts of cold and warm weather as well as early and late snow.

I ofc, was a young dude living in Genesee Cnty that winter and not only did the mid-November bliz and subsequent clipper lay down a surprising amount of snow for so early, it stayed cold afterwards similar to this past Nov. I was able to get my snowmobile out and would've ridden quite a bit except it was having some issues running so that got foiled (wasn't expecting to run it before late Dec, lol). Dec and Jan were both decent for snow cover and cold, but as you mentioned, there was a significant thaw/warm spell in January that ended with yet another 2 foot bliz for NMI. We had some wicked S winds during that event which destroyed an old metal shed I had inherited with my place. That sticks out in my memory. There was even a confirmed TOR somewhere in CMI that afternoon. Extremely strong bombing SLP that must've been right over lower MI. Just enough north of the November track to keep SMI out of the backside snow unfortunately. I moved to Traverse that September, and got to hear all the stories of how Peeps were stranded at work that day. Was prolly a lot like the March 5th, 2012 storm for that region but with stronger winds. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

22F here about 6:30 per the airport unit. Possible at the 6 hour summary, we had a 21F in between 20 min OBS. Waiting to see. Surprisingly little frost apparent here in town tho. Just a hint on the back lawn. I expected everything to be solid white. In the meantime, I'm running lamps under covers to keep some early decorative flowers from being a waste of stimulus $$

Negative. So 22F it is. Still stupid cold for this time of spring. And here's your typical wx map for mid-spring :axe:

20200509 8 am Surf Map.jpg

Lows in the LOT forecast area.  While impressive, no daily records were broken. Some places, like UGN, may have been close to records for “coldest so late in the season”...but difficult to find reliable and long-term data besides Chicago and Rockford. 

A bit too much wind for the typical radiators, and the core of the cold was pulling out overnight, as winds switched to SW just before sunrise. 

UGN 25

DPA 26

ARR 27

JOT 27

DKB 28

RFD 29

PWK 30

ORD 31

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just put out an infographic on our website and social media. Even though Chicago and Rockford didn't overperform, it was still the coldest May morning since 5/3/04 at ORD and coldest since 5/4/05 at RFD. I did a quick query for the Rensselaer COOP site which bottomed out at 24. There's 9 missing years but most years do have data going back to 1902. The low there is by far the coldest in their records in the month of May. The latest reading of 24 degrees or colder is April 25th.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Got down to 27 here. 

The low of 31 at ORD (Midway also 31 fwiw) is the coldest temp this late in the season in Chicago since 2002. 

By my count, only 6 years on record have had a later freeze than this one (usual caveats about observation location).

• Like 1

The low this morning at Detroit fell to an impressive record 27°.

This not only broke the record for May 9th, but its also the 2nd coldest temp this late in the season, behind only 25° on May 10, 1966. 

It was the 3rd coldest May temp on record 

25° - May 10, 1966

26° - May 1, 1978

27° - May 9, 2020

The temp on May 8th fell to 31 just before midnight so we only missed yesterday's record by 1°, although the snowfall of a trace did tie and thus supercede the record for the day.

• Like 2

To my amazement, at least an inch of snow remained at 11:30 am here! :arrowhead: . Even now during peak sun angle, there is still solid snowcover on roofs and trace on grass. This is something I defintely have never personally seen before in this month, most notable 2020 event locally thus far. The snow itself was an strange small ball shape like packing material but not graupel. 

Probably had close to 2 inches of snow during the deepest "snowpack". Last night I felt like putting all the Christmas decorations in the yard and stringing up the lights :lol:.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

-4.7c (23.5F) is a record cold temp for May 9 at YYZ, and is actually the 2nd coldest May temperature on record period.

Just had a snowshower that dropped visibility below 1/2 mile.  Always like to explore the limits of my love for snow.  Seeing it on May 9, I can say that limit has been breached.

There has been on and off intense snow showers in downtown Toronto in the last few hours. One minute it’s sunny and the next minute there’s an intense squall.

It looks like the downtown Toronto station at the U of T set a record low for May 9th. The old record is -1.7C (28.9F) set way back in 1850. The 6am temp was -1.8C (28.8F).

And if the RDPS/HRDPS/GFS is correct, we could be seeing more snow on Monday morning  on the backside of a clipper low. That low will drag more cold air and another night of below freezing weather is likely Tuesday morning.

• Like 2

Peoria, IL recorded its 4th latest freeze on record.

The damage is starting to show on the trees here. My hickories and tuliptree have lost half of their leaves already :(

l love extreme weather, but I'd be happy to never see another May freeze here again. Maybe it's time I move south. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

-4.7c (23.5F) is a record cold temp for May 9 at YYZ, and is actually the 2nd coldest May temperature on record period.

Just had a snowshower that dropped visibility below 1/2 mile.  Always like to explore the limits of my love for snow.  Seeing it on May 9, I can say that limit has been breached.

And we were only 0.9C away from breaking the all-time record set back in 1966. A few more sub-zero lows to get through before we see some warmer weather later  next week just in time for the long weekend.

Been seeing on and off snow flurries all day today. Curious to know if YYZ ends up recording more than a trace today. We recorded 0.4cm back in May 2013. 

We got to 25 here last night. Definitely can tell in the plants, everything has a bit of a drooped look to it. Looks like it will be near freezing pretty much every night until Wednesday. At least crops wise there isn't a whole lot up yet so it shouldn't be too damaging there.