• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2020 cold snap; record cold, possible snow?

michsnowfreak

Funnily enough Sunday is the 30th anniversary of this storm. https://www.weather.gov/mkx/051090-spring-snowstorm. This storm dropped up to 6 inches in a band from Green Bay to Waukesha. Unfortunately the heavy snow caused a ton of tree damage. What's weird is that that winter also started early in October.It is just odd hoe this year has followed 1990 almost to a T patterns-wise. Hopefully that continues as the second half of that month turned out to be pretty warm and stormy for the region.

• Like 1

Waukegan (UGN) is only 38 degrees at 12 noon, with a WC of 30.  Midnight high was 41.

ORD had a midnight high of 45, and is currently 43 with a WC of 34.  So, the record low max of 42 in 1960 will hold.

In WI, the coldest low temp I found this morning was 21 in Minocqua.  In Rhinelander at 12 noon, it's 29/8, WC 20.  Dropped to 24 there this morning, just missing the May 8th record low of 22 set in 2017 and 1929.  Normal low is 38.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Geoboy645 said:

Funnily enough Sunday is the 30th anniversary of this storm. https://www.weather.gov/mkx/051090-spring-snowstorm. This storm dropped up to 6 inches in a band from Green Bay to Waukesha. Unfortunately the heavy snow caused a ton of tree damage. What's weird is that that winter also started early in October.It is just odd hoe this year has followed 1990 almost to a T patterns-wise. Hopefully that continues as the second half of that month turned out to be pretty warm and stormy for the region.

I actually forgot it was May 10th as well, that would be eerie.  It was not even one month after I was born.

1 minute ago, Geoboy645 said:

maybe we could get a repeat of the June tornadoes that year

• Weenie 1

19 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

18 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

I actually forgot it was May 10th as well, that would be eerie.  It was not even one month after I was born.

Toured the western U.P. (the one and only time) that following July of '90 where they'd had 14+" IIRC. Peeps were still talking about the huge May snowstorm even then. Spent the night in Munising. Stepped out to 37F and a very frosted car in mid-July! From firsthand experience, 1989-90 was a much better winter for most of the Mitt except perhaps far SEMI. I'd say only Detroit's historic storm this past Nov was on par. Oddly, the one corner of the state NOT slammed by the Nov '89 blizzard. Wx will even itself out over time..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

Toured the western U.P. (the one and only time) that following July of '90 where they'd had 14+" IIRC. Peeps were still talking about the huge May snowstorm even then. Spent the night in Munising. Stepped out to 37F and a very frosted car in mid-July! From firsthand experience, 1989-90 was a much better winter for most of the Mitt except perhaps far SEMI. I'd say only Detroit's historic Nov storm was on par. Oddly, the one corner of the state NOT slammed by the Nov '89 blizzard. Wx will even itself out over time..

Snowfall at Detroit during the 2 winters was very close (1989-90 had 41.8" and 2019-20 had 43.2"). Although 1989-90 was quite a bit colder over all, both had out of season blasts of cold and warm weather as well as early and late snow.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

It's up to 29 now.  I notice clearing trying to move in from the west.  If it does clears more than the forecast, it could be a really cold night with fresh snow covering the ground.

Over/under set at 20, what's your play :lmao:

41 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

May snow/graupel squalls 

DA4B3B4C-8C36-4210-BEDE-314E6A16BC10.jpeg

I decided to take a little nap and I woke up to several text about how heavy it was snowing lol. Luckily I saw the snow this morning.  It's funny how something you see so frequently for months turns into such a novelty and is so noticed by everyone once its May lol.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Pro's and cons for both but I think clouds will fill back in and with the wind staying up and being so close to the lake,  I'm gonna say over and go with 23 for the low.

Yeah the wind is the main reason I am hesitant to go below 27 here as well.

59 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I decided to take a little nap and I woke up to several text about how heavy it was snowing lol. Luckily I saw the snow this morning.  It's funny how something you see so frequently for months turns into such a novelty and is so noticed by everyone once its May lol.

We just had a heavy squall move through. Actually very briefly left a coating on the grass. Seen snow from Halloween to basically Mother’s Day this season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chinook said:

I am playing around with Radarscope right now for the first time. Is there a way to save the screen as a picture?

Looks like your on the PC app. If you click the "share" button in the bottom right of the screen you should be able to save a PNG to your computer

• Thanks 1