• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2020 cold snap; record cold, possible snow?

michsnowfreak

Looking increasingly likely the following happens...

Frost for portions of the area Thur night/Fri morning, freeze/hard freeze for the entire area Fri night/Sat morning, and isolated/scattered rain/snow showers Fri.

Then looks like a chance precip ends as snow with the clipper-like system in the vicinity of Sun, before another frost/freeze for the two nights following it.

I wouldn't say any record is a lock for this period, but there are a few that will be close...such as the record low max on Fri and record low min on Sat.

All models continue to advertise 20s tomorrow night into Saturday morning for Detroit. It will be very interesting to see what the coldest numbers are in the rural areas, what the lowest wind chills are as there will still be a breeze, and if the low at Detroit is just a record for the day or historic for the month of May.

9 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Obviously that's a very wintry May forecast, but I am wondering if the coldest temperature in Michigan will actually be somewhere in lower Michigan in a rural area.

Somewhere in the interior UP will see teens tonight and if there's any lingering snow and clear skies, temps could really bottom out Friday night.  Wouldn't surprise me to see Houghton Lake drop into the teens too, they're already pinpointed for 23 two nights in a row.

19 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Obviously that's a very wintry May forecast, but I am wondering if the coldest temperature in Michigan will actually be somewhere in lower Michigan in a rural area.

Keep an eye on Black River Falls(KBCK) and Sparta/Fort McCoy(KCMY) in Wisconsin, especially Friday night, Sunday night and Monday night.  Winds look to stay up a bit so there will no true tanking but if an site is going to do something crazy it'll be one of those two.  Also Land O'Lakes(KLNL) can get very cold but I don't track that one as much.

For example Fort McCoy hit 28 and Black River Falls hit 24 this morning while Madison was only 44.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Somewhere in the interior UP will see teens tonight and if there's any lingering snow and clear skies, temps could really bottom out Friday night.  Wouldn't surprise me to see Houghton Lake drop into the teens too, they're already pinpointed for 23 two nights in a row.

Oh wow. I was going by the forecast you posted lol I always assume your area is always the coldest/snowiest up there:lol:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, madwx said:

Keep an eye on Black River Falls(KBCK) and Sparta/Fort McCoy(KCMY) in Wisconsin, especially Friday night, Sunday night and Monday night.  Winds look to stay up a bit so there will no true tanking but if an site is going to do something crazy it'll be one of those two.  Also Land O'Lakes(KLNL) can get very cold but I don't track that one as much.

For example Fort McCoy hit 28 and Black River Falls hit 24 this morning while Madison was only 44.

The numbers are definitely going to be interesting come Saturday morning. The core of the cold is going to be further east so I think Michigan in general will be colder than Wisconsin, but this airmass as a whole is so cold the typical cold pockets throughout the midwest could really be impressive.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 5:21 PM, michsnowfreak said:

I was born the evening of May 8, 1983. My mom remembers how cold and rainy it was. That night we had a record low for May 9th.

Detroit dailies

May 8th:

Record low max: 38 in 1947 (May record)

Record low: 30 in 1976

Record snow: T in 1947

May 9th

Record low max: 39 in 1923

Record low: 29 in 1983

Record snow: 6.0" in 1923 (May record)

May 10th

Record low max: 42 in 1902

Record low: 25 in 1966 (May record)

Record snow: 0.5" in 1902

May 11th

Record low max: 43 in 1960

Record low: 30 in 1907

Record snow: 0

May 12th

Record low max: 44 in 1966

Record low: 32 in 1934

Record snow: 0

Yep. Cold spring after the super Nino that winter. The cold pattern then yielded to one of the warmest summers of the 80's. A beautiful beach-n-boat season. If only we could repeat that this year. Not holding my breath tho. Btw, Happy Birthday (tomorrow)!

• Like 1

LOT

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Chicago IL
1125 AM CDT Thu May 7 2020

ILZ003>006-008-010>013-019>021-023-032-033-039-103>108-INZ001-002-
010-011-019-080030-
/O.CON.KLOT.FZ.A.0001.200509T0500Z-200509T1300Z/
Winnebago-Boone-McHenry-Lake IL-Ogle-Lee-De Kalb-Kane-DuPage-
La Salle-Kendall-Grundy-Kankakee-Livingston-Iroquois-Ford-
Northern Cook-Central Cook-Southern Cook-Northern Will-
Southern Will-Eastern Will-Lake IN-Porter-Newton-Jasper-Benton-
Including the cities of Rockford, Belvidere, Crystal Lake,
Algonquin, McHenry, Woodstock, Waukegan, Buffalo Grove,
Mundelein, Gurnee, Rochelle, Oregon, Byron, Dixon, DeKalb,
Sycamore, Aurora, Elgin, Naperville, Wheaton, Downers Grove,
Lombard, Carol Stream, Ottawa, Streator, La Salle, Mendota,
Marseilles, Oswego, Yorkville, Plano, Morris, Coal City, Minooka,
Kankakee, Bourbonnais, Bradley, Pontiac, Dwight, Fairbury,
Watseka, Gilman, Paxton, Gibson City, Evanston, Des Plaines,
Schaumburg, Palatine, Northbrook, Chicago, Cicero, Oak Lawn,
Oak Park, La Grange, Calumet City, Oak Forest, Lemont,
Orland Park, Park Forest, Joliet, Bolingbrook, Plainfield,
Mokena, Channahon, Manhattan, Wilmington, Crete, Peotone,
Beecher, Gary, Hammond, Merrillville, Portage, Valparaiso,
Chesterton, Roselawn, Kentland, Morocco, Rensselaer, DeMotte,
Fowler, and Oxford
1125 AM CDT Thu May 7 2020 /1225 PM EDT Thu May 7 2020/

...FREEZE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH
SATURDAY MORNING...

* WHAT...Sub-freezing temperatures as low as the upper 20s.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest Indiana and central, east
  central, north central and northeast Illinois.

* WHEN...From late Friday night through Saturday morning.

* IMPACTS...Frost and freeze conditions could kill crops, other
  sensitive vegetation and possibly damage unprotected outdoor
  plumbing.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Take steps now to protect tender plants from the cold. To prevent
freezing and possible bursting of outdoor water pipes they should
be wrapped, drained, or allowed to drip slowly. Those that have
in-ground sprinkler systems should drain them and cover above-
ground pipes to protect them from freezing.

7 hours ago, madwx said:

I definitely agree with that statement. Those two spots are the best CAD spots in the state if not in the Midwest. It's because of there locations where river valleys narrow as they go into the Driftless Area.  Land O'Lakes and Manitowish Waters are more because of there latitude and elevation. Both are over 1600' in elevation and are in little valleys right next to their lakes. 

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Normal for this area is 58/37. Last week it was 70 two days consecutive.
Looking at pics from the same day as last year, I have the same patches of snow left in pretty much the same areas as now.

Yeah I was up there around May 10th in 2016 and it was spectacular weather. Crazy how wild this time of year can be up there.

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Took this about 45 minutes ago.  Snowing harder now and the ground is white again... 28 degrees.  Most hi-res show several inches tonight.

IMG_2548.JPG.ac982d3aae9e595358bcc466eddcf18d.JPG

Your date on the picture is incorrect, that looks like March 7th :lmao::facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Welp... Just about 3" fell, and to think I had the nerve to put my little deck table out last week when it was so nice.  :lol:

Very cold last night with a low of 21 and highs today, and the next three only in the 30's... clouds should keep overnight temps in check tho. April can't get here soon enough!

IMG_2558.JPG.d4d92c579f8813d9df7c0bcf7c2467da.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG.2ec80255da635af835761cd9678039b8.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, madwx said:

Hearing reports of flurries in the Milwaukee area this morning.

Flurries/light snow shower confirmed.  May see snow mix in at night with Sunday/Sunday night's system too.  Would be something if we experienced snow on both Halloween and Mother's Day in the same snow season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1