Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2020 Discussion

Hoosier

9 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Tropical bed all planted. Soil temp 71.1F. Ready for summer. ec45a0f998f4c43c2128f18ac232e30c.jpg

Im currently waiting on my Musa Basjoo. Hopefully able to pick it up in a week or two and get them growing. I bought 3 gal ones. Kind of upset not able to get them until late May/Early June but considering it snowed last week here wasnt going to be able to do much with them anyways. 

How big do you think the 3 gallon ones will grow from June 15th to October? One is being planted in the ground and the other in a pot. 

Im currently waiting on my Musa Basjoo. Hopefully able to pick it up in a week or two and get them growing. I bought 3 gal ones. Kind of upset not able to get them until late May/Early June but considering it snowed last week here wasnt going to be able to do much with them anyways. 
How big do you think the 3 gallon ones will grow from June 15th to October? One is being planted in the ground and the other in a pot. 

Should get 5-6 feet tall I think. I’m growing tall Orinoco and Thai black. The Thai black grow the fastest but are not hardy here. I dig up and put them in the greenhouse for winter. They are the tall ones in the middle. Love their blackish stems.

Never had luck overwintering basjoo in the ground in Wisconsin so I stopped trying to grow them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Thanks. Put a 1000 watt gutter heating cable in the ground this summer. That way I won’t get so mad when we get low 60s and overcast several days into June.

I find it very interesting you are able to grow those plants in this climate zone. Even in the summer. We get lows in Lansing in the Upper 40s in July some years and, to my knowledge, upper 40s is likely to kill those types of flora.

I find it very interesting you are able to grow those plants in this climate zone. Even in the summer. We get lows in Lansing in the Upper 40s in July some years and, to my knowledge, upper 40s is likely to kill those types of flora.

Yeah they don’t like cold feet and struggle in June most years. So I’m hoping the heating cable alleviates that. Soil temp over 70 with it already has me feeling pretty good. Here is the same bed on the day I took it down last October 7th. be71c689b2e9d2ea768027b86803f4f7.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Still in FL on vacation. Had another severe t’storm roll through this evening...the second one on this trip.

728f6d5edd89b0ac58e0409c60deb63e.jpeg

d1e5761f0c13fc71dfd01347ceb436f4.jpeg

Driving down to FL sometime next week for x number of days too.  Need a change of pace.  I love severe afternoon storms in FL heat. I’m headed to Destin.  Where is this?

3 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

Is that 87F for ORD this hour legit?  With SE winds no less?  I don’t think they were even predicting them to get to 80F today.

87 is what went into the climate report.  MDW was 81 and PWK was 77.  The 87 is probably bogus but I don't know if anybody at LOT will correct it. 

• Confused 1

On 5/22/2020 at 12:58 PM, madwx said:

dewpoint up to 58 here.  Really feeling the humidity for the first time this year

lol currently at 72° for the dew here currently. For me it's been the toughest adjustment since coming from the Toledo area, regular dew points around 70° are pretty tough to golf and exercise in without a substantial breeze. 

On the ocean it was 84°/65° today but at the house (15 miles inland) 91°/65° and have seen the dew tick up considerably since sunset

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nwohweather said:

lol currently at 72° for the dew here currently. For me it's been the toughest adjustment since coming from the Toledo area, regular dew points around 70° are pretty tough to golf and exercise in without a substantial breeze. 

On the ocean it was 84°/65° today but at the house (15 miles inland) 91°/65° and have seen the dew tick up considerably since sunset

Sounds like a nightmare climate lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds like a nightmare climate lol

It’s wonderful when there is a breeze. But the humidity kind of came out of nowhere, it’s been very mild this entire spring with 75-85° in March-till now with dry weather.

Each time those cold fronts hit you guys it kind of turns into more of a dry line so we don’t really get chilly, just dry. It’s similar to summer weather in Traverse City honestly March-April. But now it’s really something humidity wise, but luckily there is usually a solid breeze
  • Like 1

We've had two days now of great looking storm complexes completely fall apart before they reach the Twin Cities and leave us with 20min of drizzle. If i'm going to be stuck inside this holiday weekend at least give me interesting weather to look out the window at. 

I should mention that I am stuck inside because the wife had ACL surgery not because of any legal restrictions in place. 

• Like 1

87 is what went into the climate report.  MDW was 81 and PWK was 77.  The 87 is probably bogus but I don't know if anybody at LOT will correct it. 
We fixed it. 82 is what we came up with, which is much more reasonable. I believe that was with the help of the observer doing a manual observation. The ASOS had a power surge that likely resulted in the problems. We also noticed that the low temperature in the afternoon CLI was incorrect, erroneous 54 degree reading at 10 something AM CDT.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

What looked to be a iffy day turned out to be a great one, Midwestern ON is blowing way past the forecast temperatures every day now and the light rain for today came at 10:30 am. I see blue skies and towers going up all around :). Its 26C feeling like 34C so far, forecast was 22C and t-storm showers. We are entering into a pseudo-heatwave (next three days will feel like 36C). Tomorrow is forecast to be the first 30C air temp of the year and decade. I'm starting to get warm :lol:.

The quick swing isn't surprising, but the temperature exceeding the forecast by 3C or more each day now is. We were colder than forecast for so long its finally reversed. This isn't the worst May now afterall, the last 1/3rd saved it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Feels like it's about 100 degrees outside.  Obv just not used to this kind of weather yet.

Should top out in the upper 80s.

Ha was just thinking that a little while ago.  Definitely a shock to the system after the weather we've had.  Humidity has really shot up  too, with dews in the upper 60s, and very little wind.  ORD up to a legit 87 already, and MLI has made it to 86.  If it weren't for the cirrus overhead filtering the sun a bit we may have made 90 today as the HRRRRRRR suggested.

48 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

What looked to be a iffy day turned out to be a great one, Midwestern ON is blowing way past the forecast temperatures every day now and the light rain for today came at 10:30 am. I see blue skies and towers going up all around :). Its 26C feeling like 34C so far, forecast was 22C and t-storm showers. We are entering into a pseudo-heatwave (next three days will feel like 36C). Tomorrow is forecast to be the first 30C air temp of the year and decade. I'm starting to get warm :lol:.

The quick swing isn't surprising, but the temperature exceeding the forecast by 3C or more each day now is. We were colder than forecast for so long its finally reversed. This isn't the worst May now afterall, the last 1/3rd saved it.

Happens a lot with our NWS office; they steer towards climo in the 2-7 day range, then correct as time goes on.