Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2020 Discussion

Hoosier

16 hours ago, Hoosier said:

We might as well get a snow system to make something historic out of this.  Don't think we've ever had a May snow thread.  :devilsmiley:

Was there never a thread made for this event? I remember living in Iowa City and taking a drive west to experience a May snow. 

https://www.weather.gov/dmx/maysnow 

2B567881-970B-4AD3-A103-E1686123BA0F.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12z GFS has 510 thicknesses over Bo's house on 5/8 (hour 102).  

In N IL, it looks like the coldest days will be 5/8 and 5/9.  As of now, it looks like the sun will be out at least part of these days...in which case daytime temps will probably be mild even if the thickness levels are anomalously low.  The sun angle is equivalent to early August. 

If Friday night can clear out with either strong cold advection or radiational cooling, some places in N IL may drop below freezing on Saturday morning 5/9.  That's probably the best chance for a record to be broken...although the record low is 27 in both Rockford and Chicago.

Rockford

5/8:  Record low max 41 in 1960; record low 30 in 1947

5/9:  Record low max 41 in 1960; record low 27 in 1966

Chicago

5/8:  Record low max 42 in 1960; record low 29 in 1983 

5/9:  Record low max 42 in 1966; record low 27 in 1983 

2 hours ago, frostfern said:

Only years I remember green maple leaves on May 1st are 2010 and 2012.  Most years they're open but still have that early-spring reddish hue.  This year they were mostly not open at all until the brief warmth hit last Saturday.  If you have a lot of Norway maples around you might see more green as those will open early and green.  Alder trees also leaf very early and are light green right away.  I noticed the early flowers have hung on forever this year.  Things have been really spaced out since there was some early warmth followed by cold.

Yes it's those Norway maples that had lime green to the landscape. I just meant in a very general sense that may 1st is usually when you start to see a lot of green poking up, I'll be asleep the late trees like oaks will still be bare. Versus in recent years may 1st is a pretty bare landscape.

20 hours ago, frostfern said:

Only years I remember green maple leaves on May 1st are 2010 and 2012.  Most years they're open but still have that early-spring reddish hue.  This year they were mostly not open at all until the brief warmth hit last Saturday.  If you have a lot of Norway maples around you might see more green as those will open early and green.  Alder trees also leaf very early and are light green right away.  I noticed the early flowers have hung on forever this year.  Things have been really spaced out since there was some early warmth followed by cold.

The garden on the south side next to my driveway is full of early blooming wild flowers. Yeah, this has been the most extended blooming duration in 11 years here. Its been really nice tbh. Solar spring months acting like spring not premature summer. Shocking. Plenty of time to flip into "sweat mode" post 22-June. Heat is lasting well past Labor Day, sometimes deep into October. Been nice having reasonable working temps so far. Nothing too crazy hot.

forecast has lows in the 30s for the next 7 days.  Don't know if we can break any records but next Monday would be our best shot with the record low being only 29.  

This morning temps only got down to 40.  about 4 degrees above the predicted, maybe this trend will continue

22 hours ago, LansingWeather said:

So lets go for a June snow thread? :ph34r:

I think we'd need a major volcanic eruption for that to happen.  With the reduced air traffic due to the pandemic, low temperatures on clear nights might be a degree or two colder than otherwise in high-air-traffic regions though... like anywhere in a 300 mile radius of Chicago.  Who would have thought air-traffic contrail pollution can protect fruit growers.  Of course only passenger flights are affected right now, so it might not be quite as extreme an effect as after 9/11 when all planes were grounded for a short time.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NTXYankee said:

Hopefully a massive blowtorch.

I believe that happened in 2018 in the eastern great lakes. We had a very late season ice/winter storm in mid April, chilly beginning of May and by Mid May had highs around 80-86F. It was weird to be working outside baking in the sun while thinking only a few weeks ago I was freezing and walking thru snow. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

I believe that happened in 2018 in the eastern great lakes. We had a very late season ice/winter storm in mid April, chilly beginning of May and by Mid May had highs around 80-86F. It was weird to be working outside baking in the sun while thinking only a few weeks ago I was freezing and walking thru snow. 

We reached 99 degrees less than 6 weeks after our last snow flakes that season.  

1 hour ago, mississaugasnow said:

Minneapolis received 15” of snow on April 16. Lakes were iced over until early/mid May and many had record late ice out dates. Memorial Day weekend it was 95-100F and I was swimming in Gull Lake two weeks after ice out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Minneapolis received 15” of snow on April 16. Lakes were iced over until early/mid May and many had record late ice out dates. Memorial Day weekend it was 95-100F and I was swimming in Gull Lake two weeks after ice out. 

Yeah, hopefully I speak for a lot of us that this blowtorch would not be desirable; I'd settle for consistent average to a bit above average temps this time of year.  A lot of 70s.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

Yeah, hopefully I speak for a lot of us that this blowtorch would not be desirable; I'd settle for consistent average to a bit above average temps this time of year.  A lot of 70s.

blowtorch means death ridge, lets get an active pattern with thunderstorms and mild temps

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

haha sadly I enjoy extreme events. A few weeks in the 70s after this cold spell, but then I want 90-100F+  blowtorches 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

I’ll take no blowtorch please with a side of Canadian high pressure.

As long as you keep that Canadian high up there you can have it.  People are grumpy down here from them.

• Haha 1

It's looking likely we'll see 10 straight days with highs under 60, and our average high temperature is above 60F this whole time.  The first half of May seems to rarely be above average.  It is one of the best times to have consistent above average temps of course.

21 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

haha sadly I enjoy extreme events. A few weeks in the 70s after this cold spell, but then I want 90-100F+  blowtorches 

You're in the wrong city, matter of fact, wrong country if you're seeking "90-100F+ blowtorches". 

100F rarely happens in Toronto. The last time was in 2011 and before that was back in 2001, I believe. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

You're in the wrong city, matter of fact, wrong country if you're seeking "90-100F+ blowtorches". 

100F rarely happens in Toronto. The last time was in 2011 and before that was back in 2001, I believe. 

haha I know. Though every summer Toronto generally strings together a few days in the row of 32-34C and humidex values around 40C and above with lows around 23C 

Our criteria for hot here when hearing the weather reports and newscasts is 30C. The 30 year average for 30C or above in Toronto and most of southern Ontario is around 20-24 days a summer which is pretty respectable. Especially within Canada. Only the interior of BC averages more. 

Its all relative and depends what you like. I love those big humid heatwaves where its 25C when you walk out the door at 7am and your drenched in sweat haha. 

• Haha 1