Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2020 Discussion

Hoosier

4 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Looking at the Euro makes me glad i've held off planting the victory garden. Wife always insists on waiting until May 15th, this year she is going to be right.

Early planting is usually kind of a waste of time anyway.  Nothing really takes off until we start getting the warm/humid nights consistently, which is usually June.  Everything explodes in growth then, so if you planted something late it would usually catch up to whatever was planted early/successfully anyway.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spartman said:

First 80-degree day of the year today as temps overperformed to reach 83. Likely the warmest we'll get for this month unless things approve during the second half of this month as what Crankyweatherguy has been suggesting. 

Second half of May (roughly from the 14th through Memorial Day) has the sub firmly in the heat and juice with several rounds of strong storms. Kinda funny, it shows highs in the 40’s and 50’s for most of us, then on the 15th, we just flip the switch to 80’s lol. Typical. But don’t get too excited, the eastern trough comes back in by the beginning of June similar to the first half of May, but thats to chew the fat on when that next bout of “why the **** do I live here again?” Comes in. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

Early planting is usually kind of a waste of time anyway.  Nothing really takes off until we start getting the warm/humid nights consistently, which is usually June.  Everything explodes in growth then, so if you planted something late it would usually catch up to whatever was planted early/successfully anyway.

Very true, I definitely get antsy once the annuals start popping up and trees begin to leaf out. Plus it seems lately the growing season has extended well into October/early November for certain plants.

25 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

If you have a lot of annuals to plant, like me, it's nice to be able to start chipping away at the planting chore.  It's annoying having to haul a bunch of plants in and out of the garage, and in and out of the sun (trying to harden them off), every day.  With the upcoming cold it will be another 1-2 weeks before I can even start planting the in-ground stuff.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Kitchener poster said:

Words just can’t do it justice how bad our shoulder seasons have been. April and early May in 2019 sucked. Mid-late October into November sucked. And now this spring has been record cold. 

There have been two major relative warmth periods this spring. End of March towards towards the east coast, and another more recent one to our west. We (GTA) haven’t cashed in yet. 

As another poster mentioned. Today was supposed to be our day. But instead it’s nothing but a cloud deck and brief rain spurts. 

All of spring 2019 (Mar-May) into early June sucked lol. I find this is nature's way of balancing things out. Let's not forget all the record warm May's from 2010-2016 and 2018. A string of cold May's was inevitable. 

Well I hope you can get out today. It's finally 20C (70F). The next two weeks will likely stay below 70F. 

3 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

All of spring 2019 (Mar-May) into early June sucked lol. I find this is nature's way of balancing things out. Let's not forget all the record warm May's from 2010-2016 and 2018. A string of cold May's was inevitable. 

Well I hope you can get out today. It's finally 20C (70F). The next two weeks will likely stay below 70F. 

Even May of 2018 was preceded by a very cold April. One thing I have noticed the past decade, with a few certain exceptions, is that it seems that the leaves are falling a bit later in the fall and opening up a bit later in the Spring. Not by much, but the little things I used to always use were Halloween as the date when most of the trees were all bare and May 1st is when everything used to be very green with all the new lime green leaves having recently opened. Now, while we still peak in color in late October, we have the last of the color straggling on until mid November. Likewise, the buds start in April but May has been beginning with basically bare landscape, with rapidly blossoming during the first and sometimes second week of May (ongoing as we speak the last 2 days).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

A forecaster at IWX mentioned today that he had to pull rain/snow from the grids. Yes, we've seen snow in May, but it is unusual and unwanted. I'm going to have to rent a tent to cover all of the flowers and vegetables in my back yard. When I saw what the models were pumping out a few days ago, I blew it off, figuring they would come to their senses, so I worked my butt off getting everything in the ground.  It now looks like that may have been a mistake.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

A forecaster at IWX mentioned today that he had to pull rain/snow from the grids. Yes, we've seen snow in May, but it is unusual and unwanted. I'm going to have to rent a tent to cover all of the flowers and vegetables in my back yard. When I saw what the models were pumping out a few days ago, I blew it off, figuring they would come to their senses, so I worked my butt off getting everything in the ground.  It now looks like that may have been a mistake.

We might as well get a snow system to make something historic out of this.  Don't think we've ever had a May snow thread.  :devilsmiley:

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, mississaugasnow said:

I think were going to see a May snow thread lol. Some of me wants something historic only because if its going to be so cold lets see a 1-3" widespread snow with it where its something talked about for years. 

The conversation will be for many “I got tired of living in an area where winter lasts 6 months, came to my senses and moved south.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It pains me to type this out, but.....

Going back to 1880, there isn't much in the way of May snow at Detroit. Out of the 140 May's, only 8 have recorded at least 0.1" of snow. The most recent instance of accumulating snow in May in Detroit was 0.1" on 5/3/2005. The other May's that had accumulating snow were 1954 (0.1"), 1923 (6.0"), 1912 (1.5"), 1909 (0.4"), 1907 (0.2"), 1902 (0.5"), and 1883 (5.0"). May 1923's 6.0" all came from one storm on the 9th. May 1883's 5.0" incredibly came on the 21st into the 22nd. The rest of those months had 1.5" or less. Will DTW get accumulating snow this month? It's certainly possible with this pattern. If the airport does, then it would put this month into some very rare air.

F this upcoming pattern though. It was beautiful this weekend. :cliff:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Even May of 2018 was preceded by a very cold April. One thing I have noticed the past decade, with a few certain exceptions, is that it seems that the leaves are falling a bit later in the fall and opening up a bit later in the Spring. Not by much, but the little things I used to always use were Halloween as the date when most of the trees were all bare and May 1st is when everything used to be very green with all the new lime green leaves having recently opened. Now, while we still peak in color in late October, we have the last of the color straggling on until mid November. Likewise, the buds start in April but May has been beginning with basically bare landscape, with rapidly blossoming during the first and sometimes second week of May (ongoing as we speak the last 2 days).

Only years I remember green maple leaves on May 1st are 2010 and 2012.  Most years they're open but still have that early-spring reddish hue.  This year they were mostly not open at all until the brief warmth hit last Saturday.  If you have a lot of Norway maples around you might see more green as those will open early and green.  Alder trees also leaf very early and are light green right away.  I noticed the early flowers have hung on forever this year.  Things have been really spaced out since there was some early warmth followed by cold.

• Like 1