Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2020 Discussion

Hoosier

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

So imagine being in Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, etc. and it snows to your south on May 9th

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_34.thumb.png.94e3d25811709f2d562becb1ccfde557.png

Well the first few days of the month look nice and how you want to envision May to look at least.  It can at times be the most frustrating month of the year (certainly near the lake).

I dont know, since its may this massive cold spell doesn't seem as frightening. Average high is already going to be around 65F so even taking 10-15F off looking at days in the low 50F. Im not terribly upset by sunny cool days. In the GTA we still dont really plant gardens for another 2-3 weeks, especially if your north of the city. The May long weekend is our unofficial kick off to summer where its expected to have no more frost/freeze. 

• Weenie 1

11 hours ago, Hoosier said:

So imagine being in Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, etc. and it snows to your south on May 9th

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_34.thumb.png.94e3d25811709f2d562becb1ccfde557.png

6Z was even more ridiculous with multiple reinforcing shots of the cold with some snow into mid May. If it does snow, for most of us that would be an 8th consecutive month that snow has fallen. 

5 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

gonna snow i can feel it

Last measurable snow in May in Chicago was in 1989.  I'd say there's a heightened risk of it in this upcoming pattern but climo is so unfavorable that even a heightened risk doesn't mean high probability.   

• Like 1

Snow managed to hang on even as it hit freaking 70 for a high.  Spring is here to stay I believe, tho I'm sure it will snow again... somewhere around 275 inches fell here this winter despite the very mild conditions.

As usual one of the very last spots in Michigan to have snow otg. I take a little bit of honor in that :P  Maybe a day or two left before it's gone.

IMG_2524.JPG.f01d86946e9ab05b428a65be1e369fb5.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG.ab40cc58ba5ecc7c2e33c211c956299b.JPG

• Like 7

On 5/1/2020 at 1:12 PM, Angrysummons said:

UKMET with a much more seasonal solution. Wavelengths are moving fast. This isn't January(but idiots like the GFS can believe so).

I want to murder the GFS.  Next weekend is a horror show on all the models though.  Just please let it be the end after that.  Thunder weenies are going to suicide if this dumb pattern persists.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Looks like we might have our first shot at 70F tomorrow lol. 

The last time it was 70F at YYZ was October 7. In other words, it's been 208 days since the last time we hit 70F making it the 4th longest streak ever. If we don't hit 70F tomorrow, we'll be in 2nd place by Tuesday. Can't get much worse than that tbh. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I hope both UW and YYZ don't reach 20C tomorrow, just for the lulz. Its already asinine that this is the 3rd year in a row that UW didn't get their 20 til May but if it goes past the 10th then we're looking at many decades since its been that late. Today was suppose to be one of two only good days this first half May, its dark and raining :lol:. I haven't heard thunder since early March and that was the only time so far in 2020.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

Looks like we might have our first shot at 70F tomorrow lol. 

The last time it was 70F at YYZ was October 7. In other words, it's been 208 days since the last time we hit 70F making it the 4th longest streak ever. If we don't hit 70F tomorrow, we'll be in 2nd place by Tuesday. Can't get much worse than that tbh. 

Words just can’t do it justice how bad our shoulder seasons have been. April and early May in 2019 sucked. Mid-late October into November sucked. And now this spring has been record cold. 

There have been two major relative warmth periods this spring. End of March towards towards the east coast, and another more recent one to our west. We (GTA) haven’t cashed in yet. 

As another poster mentioned. Today was supposed to be our day. But instead it’s nothing but a cloud deck and brief rain spurts. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

First 80-degree day of the year today as temps overperformed to reach 83. Likely the warmest we'll get for this month unless things approve during the second half of this month as Crankyweatherguy has been suggesting. 

Just like that high of 70 on April 25th was gonna be the last 70+ day of April...only to hit 76 three days later, on the 28th.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, iluvsnow said:

The knife twist continues by mother nature. She says...."snow weenies take this pattern for May 9th....'cause you won't see it in January"

ecmwf_T850a_us_8.png

That's a crazy look.  Could be the largest cold departures since November. Of course when we have a look in January its usually cold and dry outside of Lake effect.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

That's a crazy look.  Could be the largest cold departures since November. Of course when we have a look in January its usually cold and dry outside of Lake effect.

Its garbage and could be destructive if cold enough at night. I don't want any novelty snowflakes after hitting 80 today.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1