• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Just now, Thinksnow18 said:

I must say that since about a week ago the weather has acted like the month were in and looks to really lock in to that through months end. Maybe,  just maybe the season's will be how they're supposed to

It definitely feels and looks like fall this morning.  Mid 50s with a low overcast and a pretty stiff breeze.  I left several windows open last night and woke up to an inside temperature of 62 downstairs.  Needless to say I’ve closed the downstairs windows but it’s not warming up very fast.

The Adirondack Leaf change is a week ahead of last year based on the reports up there. I'll be up there Sep 24-29th for my buddies bachelor party. Really excited as they should be near full peak by then. We rescheduled the Dix range (5 peaks) for that weekend, doing an overnight backpacking hike. 

Foliage_Digital_week1_NOILNY_90920_153ee04a-5ce8-4055-b22d-c130d2f48b6e.png

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The Adirondack Leaf change is a week ahead of last year based on the reports up there. I'll be up there Sep 24-29th for my buddies bachelor party. Really excited as they should be near full peak by then. We rescheduled the Dix range (5 peaks) for that weekend, doing an overnight backpacking hike. 

The next 15 look more like mid fall in the Adirondacks than mid September. The point and click for Placid is upper 50's next week and many nights in the mid 30's!

26 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

The next 15 look more like mid fall in the Adirondacks than mid September. The point and click for Placid is upper 50's next week and many nights in the mid 30's!

I actually plan on seeing flakes on the high peaks. If this happens we will definitely be seeing snow and likely some accumulation above 4k feet. 

gfs-ens_z500a_us_60.png

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Hmmmm lol Weird to see lower elevations from Oswego to Fulton already changing..

A little bit of color has popped here in the Hannibal area. A little orange and red's. The neighbor has a big maple tree in the front yard that is always the last tree in the neighborhood to start to change, well not this year it's the first to and would say it's 25% changed already. I love this time of the year, cooler days and chilled nights are so nice. Today is for sure a fall day, teml is at 60 with a breeze it's pretty damn chilly out. Can't wait to take a trip up into the ADK'S later this month, love it up there. 

And snowmobile season is getting closer and closer. So ready to ride. 

• Like 2

I got this response from BUF after I emailed about temps being too high.  No indication of reevaluating temp recordings during the period when the sensor issue was occurring.  I guess we have to take temp “records” with a grain of salt.  

“You are right. The temperature sensor on the automated equipment is bad.  The weather observers who augment the observations are having to do the temperature manually.  A new temperature sensor is on backorder, so it could be a while that our observers have to do this extra work.

I hope this helps.”

NWS Buffalo

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

I got this response from BUF after I emailed about temps being too high.  No indication of reevaluating temp recordings during the period when the sensor issue was occurring.  I guess we have to take temp “records” with a grain of salt.  

“You are right. The temperature sensor on the automated equipment is bad.  The weather observers who augment the observations are having to do the temperature manually.  A new temperature sensor is on backorder, so it could be a while that our observers have to do this extra work.

I hope this helps.”

NWS Buffalo

So I believe, if memory serves me, August finished about 3.5° above average...that seemed to be about the difference on most days from weather reporting sites around KBUF...that basically puts August at a wash in the temperature department...i would also assume that July wasn't the record breaker we thought.

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Just came back from PA. Colors are definitely starting to show...a little bit. Most visible color changes were around Bradford, PA, along 86 in the higher elevations between Olean and Hornell, and actually here in Northwestern Onondaga County.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see an early change over in all locations. The trees were stressed this year and have begun to show some signs of change in my neighborhood. The temps are going to crash later this week and that will help to preempt that changeover

• Like 2