• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

21 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Not very impressed so far. About 1 - 1.5” of paste but it is coming down good now. Can’t drive up to the mountains in my front wheel drive van lol. Would never make it up no chance in hell lol. Looks like they have about 4-6 inches in the mountains but trying to get up without 4 wheel drive or chains would be completely impossible and far too dangerous. Will post some pics in a bit. 

Dont forget it was just in the upper 80's 24 hours ago...amount isn't the impressive part...the fact it's snowing at all is...

• Like 2

No one mentioned the unusual and short duration high wind event from yesterday morning. Unfortunately I wasn’t home but some trees came down in my neighborhood and winds gusted to 60mph at KROC which is impressive. 

I figured it was related to that MCS somehow but it didn’t seem like a strong enough system. Now I’m seeing it was a “wake low” as the system was collapsing and dying. Quite interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Not very impressed so far. About 1 - 1.5” of paste but it is coming down good now. Can’t drive up to the mountains in my front wheel drive van lol. Would never make it up no chance in hell lol. Looks like they have about 4-6 inches in the mountains but trying to get up without 4 wheel drive or chains would be completely impossible and far too dangerous. Will post some pics in a bit. 

I mean you seen snow in May and September. Only 3 months out of the year you haven't seen snow, pretty crazy. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

No one mentioned the unusual and short duration high wind event from yesterday morning. Unfortunately I wasn’t home but some trees came down in my neighborhood and winds gusted to 60mph at KROC which is impressive. 

I figured it was related to that MCS somehow but it didn’t seem like a strong enough system. Now I’m seeing it was a “wake low” as the system was collapsing and dying. Quite interesting.

yesterday Reports Graphic

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

Good mention. It was surprisingly windy yesterday morning especially and I really don't recall and mention if advisory type gusts. 

What is the deal with the Finger Lakes and Central NY getting hot so fast, and higher temps than many places to the south at lower elevations? There have been numerous days this year..including every day this week, where it's warmer in this region than pretty much all of PA, down to DC and Virginia...even the Southeast. I checked conditions in places like PA and they have had "fair" conditions with similar dewpoints and humidity readings. It doesn't always seem to be clouds factoring in. It just seems HOT in this region. If I wanted that, I would have moved to Georgia! But, everything seems biased toward warmth anyways anymore. The Central NY region seems to be dealing with some big-time warming issues.

So I’m back in home in Buffalo. Once I figured out that this storm was going to be a bust we decided to leave and get home ASAP. Laramie only landed up getting about 3-4” total in which my father in law said mostly melted by yesterday evening. It did get hairy going over the summit with at least 5-6” of snow and heavy snow falling but by the time we got to Cheyenne just 15-20 minutes later it was barely sticking to the roads and only about a slushy inch. By the time we got through the Panhandle of Nebraska it turned to all rain and we even hit some thunderstorms in Iowa and Illinois. Turned out to be a bust for lower elevations but still impressive for early September especially on the heels of 90 + degrees just a few days prior. The Mountains just to the West and NW of Laramie saw anywhere from 12-20” +  though so it’s not like the storm didn’t produce I think it just had a hard time overcoming the extremely warm ground from the antecedent conditions in the 90s for such a long time. The weather there is so fascinating and I can’t wait to go back. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

So I’m back in home in Buffalo. Once I figured out that this storm was going to be a bust we decided to leave and get home ASAP. Laramie only landed up getting about 3-4” total in which my father in law said mostly melted by yesterday evening. It did get hairy going over the summit with at least 5-6” of snow and heavy snow falling but by the time we got to Cheyenne just 15-20 minutes later it was barely sticking to the roads and only about a slushy inch. By the time we got through the Panhandle of Nebraska it turned to all rain and we even hit some thunderstorms in Iowa and Illinois. Turned out to be a bust for lower elevations but still impressive for early September especially on the heels of 90 + degrees just a few days prior. The Mountains just to the West and NW of Laramie saw anywhere from 12-20” +  though so it’s not like the storm didn’t produce I think it just had a hard time overcoming the extremely warm ground from the antecedent conditions in the 90s for such a long time. The weather there is so fascinating and I can’t wait to go back. 

Man you are really hung up on accumulations...(But that is how we are in this forum, lol :lol: ) You witnessed a pretty rare event, enjoy it!  3-4 inches is awesome IMO.  As you said, its the turn around time that makes this one special.  Even one flake 24 hours after temps in the 90's is pretty phenomenal.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Man you are really hung up on accumulations...(But that is how we are in this forum, lol :lol: ) You witnessed a pretty rare event, enjoy it!  3-4 inches is awesome IMO.  As you said, its the turn around time that makes this one special.  Even one flake 24 hours after temps in the 90's is pretty phenomenal.  

I’m somehow honestly more impressed with experiencing the 3% RH when it was 90 degrees with a dew point of 3 degrees haha. That was such an extreme I’ve never experienced before. I tried to clean the windshield on my car that day outside with canned glass cleaner and it literally was instantly evaporating the second it hit the glass between the hot temps, full sunshine, 30+ mph winds and, 3 percent humidity. It was absolutely mind boggling. Pulled my car inside and could clean it just fine. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, tim123 said:

They need to go back and investigate that buffalo temp sensor and find out when it happened. No wonder why they had a record summer

How is it that us weather weenies were the ones to sniff this out and notify them?  Local mets put up current temps every night on their broadcasts for BUF and several towns throughout Erie and surrounding counties.  You would think think something would tip them off after saying every night, "BUF is the hot spot yet again tonight..."  Not to mention the NWS mets who are actually paid to keep an eye on this stuff.  

Bring on the Lake Effect snow talk! :) 

I believe I've seen maps for La Ninas and it looks like they are colder than normal winters for Upstate...if my memories are correct.

Pretty nice cool down this afternoon. I was outside at 1 and it was around 80...came back out around 3:30 and it was 70. Excited to stay in the 60s tomorrow...we'll probably still pop above 70 just to make me snarl. lol

46 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Bring on the Lake Effect snow talk! :) 

I believe I've seen maps for La Ninas and it looks like they are colder than normal winters for Upstate...if my memories are correct.

Pretty nice cool down this afternoon. I was outside at 1 and it was around 80...came back out around 3:30 and it was 70. Excited to stay in the 60s tomorrow...we'll probably still pop above 70 just to make me snarl. lol

Moderate Ninas are not the greatest for the Northeast. It's better for the central lakes. I would lean towards warmer then average winter.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Moderate Ninas are not the greatest for the Northeast. It's better for the central lakes. I would lean towards warmer then average winter.

Boo. Thanks for the information! I might be recalling Moderate Nina stats from my Michigan days. So...keep my expectations low. That can lead to pleasant surprises.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I knew I had seen this somewhere on here.....with the very few samples shown here, it doesn't look too bad during a Moderate? (I knew strong ones were not good for us...)

ENSO_LaNinaWintersSince1950_temp_maps_620.jpg?itok=URoPpwp7

• Like 2