• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

21 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Tied for 2nd hottest ever. 2005 was a scorcher.

118797371_3722881027741558_1585989683266

Right but that's looking to be in question. These readings this week certainly are in question. That site is the warmest around and it's not even close. And I do remember the lake reading temp issue...im betting if this was looked into we'd hear if a calibration issue as well. I can't believe they haven't noticed this.

14 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Right but that's looking to be in question. These readings this week certainly are in question. That site is the warmest around and it's not even close. And I do remember the lake reading temp issue...im betting if this was looked into we'd hear if a calibration issue as well. I can't believe they haven't noticed this.

If you message them on Facebook messenger they usually respond within a day or two.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'll be up in the mountains of Oregon and Washington in Late October. Excited to see it out there.

WSW for here in Laramie for 4-8” of heavy wet snow. All the trees are still fully leafed. NWS now has a low of -3 here Tuesday night. Luckily I’ll be outta here Tuesday afternoon. 

680930CA-D15A-4951-8224-29D4BDC5BDF5.png

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 12:21 PM, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Visiting family. My girls dad lives in Laramie. Awesome awesome place to visit and am considering moving here once my sons adoption goes through (could be a year or more still). Elevation in the town and his house 8 miles north is 7200 feet but just West (20 mi) is the Snowy mountains which we went up yesterday to 12,000 feet. Just East (less than 10 miles) is the Laramie Mountains and Vedauwoo  Which is over 9000 feet and has absolutely awesome rock features. The mountains out here blow any of the mountains out east out of the water. We only went up to Mirror Lake which is at 10,800 feet or so but there was still plenty of snow left up there and you could feel how much thinner the air is up there. There are so many things to do here with camping in Medicine Bow National Forest, 4 wheeling through the mountains, and great fishing on the reservoir and Alpine lakes at nearly 10,000 feet. 

Throw in no state income tax and my father in laws $300,000 house only pays $1400 a year in taxes how could you not want to live here? 

I’m seriously considering that move as well. I’d like to be out there in the next 5-7 yrs, but will see. I’m hoping to be  further west, ideally south of Jackson but real estate is big money out there. 
One thing to be aware of in that area is that the Laramie area can be crazy windy. I’ve been looking down through the front Range of Colorado and the wind is a common theme at least down past Denver but not all the way to Colorado Springs. 
I found a nice bedroom community nw of the springs but Colorado doesn’t enjoy the same benefits of Wyoming.

On 9/4/2020 at 1:13 PM, CNY_WX said:

What is the job situation there?

That’s a major sticking point for us currently, Laramie maybe better. Jackson is limited, focused on tourism/hospitality. Do think it might be better for my gf who works with animals, if the right job came up within Teton park or Yellowstone it would certainly help my cause.

The job situation is what pushed me into looking into Colorado. I could live in the mtns outside the springs but be to a major metro area for work/play in half hour. Was hoping to get out there and look at the area this summer but Covid squashed that.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Polarbear said:

I’m seriously considering that move as well. I’d like to be out there in the next 5-7 yrs, but will see. I’m hoping to be  further west, ideally south of Jackson but real estate is big money out there. 
One thing to be aware of in that area is that the Laramie area can be crazy windy. I’ve been looking down through the front Range of Colorado and the wind is a common theme at least down past Denver but not all the way to Colorado Springs. 
I found a nice bedroom community nw of the springs but Colorado doesn’t enjoy the same benefits of Wyoming.

That’s a major sticking point for us currently, Laramie maybe better. Jackson is limited, focused on tourism/hospitality. Do think it might be better for my gf who works with animals, if the right job came up within Teton park or Yellowstone it would certainly help my cause.

The job situation is what pushed me into looking into Colorado. I could live in the mtns outside the springs but be to a major metro area for work/play in half hour. Was hoping to get out there and look at the area this summer but Covid squashed that.

The winds are insane out here. A normal day has 20-30mph winds. My father in law frequently has 70-80mph winds numerous days throughout the year. The weather here is so extreme. You can have 90 degree temps one day with 3 percent RH to snow and below 0 temps in 2 days. You can have insane thunderstorms and huge hail blow through frequently in summertime as well as an F3 tornado that hit a half a mile from his house. Then you have 2 mountain ranges within 1/2hr to 1 hr where there’s snow on top of Medicine Bow Peak year around. The weather alone is an awesome reason to live here. Everything else is icing on the cake. We were in Denver for a few days last week, we went to the Denver Zoo and Denver Aquarium which absolutely blow the Buffalo Zoo/Niagara Aquarium out of the water. I see the appeal of Denver and the surrounding suburbs as it is such a cool/trendy place to live with many of the same weather extremes that Wyoming can see although to a lesser extent, the only thing I don’t like about Denver/Suburbs is its so populated and there’s so much traffic it would be such a pain to deal with on a daily basis not to mention the home prices are insane there. Average price of a house in Denver is $606,000. Sure won’t be able to afford anything close to that on my Salary lol. For the prices of homes at least in SE Wyoming (as you said NW Wyoming bear Jackson Hole/Yellowstone is a different story) combined with such low property tax/no income tax/ low sales tax/ lower food/cost of goods prices and all the things to do here I honestly don’t know how there’s not more people here as Laramie only has a population of just over 32,000. Cheyenne is nice too but about 1500 ft or so lower in elevation and about double or so the population but does have more stores ect...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Not to belabor this but...75 at BUF at 815 pm, really?  When Nia Falls, Roc, Syr are above 64-68?  Getting silly now. 

Here are the numbers at 9pm.  KBUF at 74.  A solid 6-10 degrees higher than its surrounding stations.  But I did check it a few times today during the mid afternoon, and KBUF was right in line and actually maybe a tad to low?  Can see the urban island with the higher temps in the city, throw in the SW breeze off the lake.  Here is from the 2pm update with KBUF at 71 and surrounding stations in a 71-74 range.  But back to the 9pm numbers, this is the third night in a row there has been a large skew just after sunset.  Wonder what’s causing this?

66A6A976-A7DC-4E4F-832B-F4EA2A740FE5.jpeg

6A718C7E-760A-40B1-BA16-D8D490D0314B.jpeg

12 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Good call guys. Looks like this years record summer may not be so record after all. I'm putting an asterisk next to it. When did this start?

I knew something was amiss...i live close enough to question that daily. It's more difficult when it's hot but when you're seeing temps 5 to 8 different when it's cool then there's an issue. Great work everyone!

13 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Good call guys. Looks like this years record summer may not be so record after all. I'm putting an asterisk next to it. When did this start?

That’s going to be the question!  Just went back and scrolled through the heat wave thread and there are multiple posts about temps not seeming right At KBUF for one reason or another but we had no reason to question it then.  I would say at least from early July on but probably longer than that.  

5 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

That’s going to be the question!  Just went back and scrolled through the heat wave thread and there are multiple posts about temps not seeming right At KBUF for one reason or another but we had no reason to question it then.  I would say at least from early July on but probably longer than that.  

US National Weather Service Buffalo NY There was an issue with the temperature sensor at KBUF last night. We have since had the observers switch over to a backup temperature sensor
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Not sure, that's the response I got.

Looks like it’s been an issue for a while now.  I tabbed up the highs and lows for the past 3 weeks at KBUF and compared it to the three closest PWS, each roughly 3 miles away in different directions.  The high temps seem to be fine as all 4 locations are all pretty close to each other.  The issue this shows is the low temp at KBUF likely not getting as low as it should.  KBUF is the warmest spot every night.  Sometimes it is only a degree or two higher than the other stations but it has many stretches where it is 4-6 degrees warmer.  Think it stuck out most recently as the past three nights the low At KBUF has been 8-9 degrees warmer than surrounding areas.  Started to look back to early July and so far notice the same thing.  Highs are all in line but lows are always a few degrees above all the surrounding stations.  Weird!

A0D9987D-D376-4BD5-818B-25253002EB49.jpeg

75A1EE23-DFBF-4A77-AA73-DA7614F55E50.jpeg

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

@lakeeffectkid383 Any videos/pics? Drive up to the mountains and get the good stuff. 

Not very impressed so far. About 1 - 1.5” of paste but it is coming down good now. Can’t drive up to the mountains in my front wheel drive van lol. Would never make it up no chance in hell lol. Looks like they have about 4-6 inches in the mountains but trying to get up without 4 wheel drive or chains would be completely impossible and far too dangerous. Will post some pics in a bit.