• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

12 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Visiting family. My girls dad lives in Laramie. Awesome awesome place to visit and am considering moving here once my sons adoption goes through (could be a year or more still). Elevation in the town and his house 8 miles north is 7200 feet but just West (20 mi) is the Snowy mountains which we went up yesterday to 12,000 feet. Just East (less than 10 miles) is the Laramie Mountains and Vedauwoo  Which is over 9000 feet and has absolutely awesome rock features. The mountains out here blow any of the mountains out east out of the water. We only went up to Mirror Lake which is at 10,800 feet or so but there was still plenty of snow left up there and you could feel how much thinner the air is up there. There are so many things to do here with camping in Medicine Bow National Forest, 4 wheeling through the mountains, and great fishing on the reservoir and Alpine lakes at nearly 10,000 feet. 

Throw in no state income tax and my father in laws $300,000 house only pays $1400 a year in taxes how could you not want to live here? 

That’s awesome.  I seriously considered that area (as well as Boise, ID) as I was getting done with college but we ended up staying in upstate NY where our families are.  With 3 little kids it is great to be around family, but when winter comes around I really wonder if I made the right decision....

51 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Visiting family. My girls dad lives in Laramie. Awesome awesome place to visit and am considering moving here once my sons adoption goes through (could be a year or more still). Elevation in the town and his house 8 miles north is 7200 feet but just West (20 mi) is the Snowy mountains which we went up yesterday to 12,000 feet. Just East (less than 10 miles) is the Laramie Mountains and Vedauwoo  Which is over 9000 feet and has absolutely awesome rock features. The mountains out here blow any of the mountains out east out of the water. We only went up to Mirror Lake which is at 10,800 feet or so but there was still plenty of snow left up there and you could feel how much thinner the air is up there. There are so many things to do here with camping in Medicine Bow National Forest, 4 wheeling through the mountains, and great fishing on the reservoir and Alpine lakes at nearly 10,000 feet. 

Throw in no state income tax and my father in laws $300,000 house only pays $1400 a year in taxes how could you not want to live here? 

What is the job situation there?

57 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

That sounds delightful.

7 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

So I have an observation...ive noticed the past week that each morning the temp at the NWS KBUF site is 6 to 7 degrees warmer than surrounding sites...i see it every morning on WIVB and this morning was no different. All the northern area sites were low to mid 50's and KBUF is at 64...is the instrument off? I live 3 miles and change from the NWS and I find it hard to believe as my backyard is sitting at 56.8 and 3 miles away it's 64? 

5 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

I’ve noticed the same all summer!  Especially late evenings/early night. Temp at BUF has consistently been 4-6 deg warmer than nearby locations. 

I've noticed inconsistencies with many of the major airport stations in Upstate New York. Syracuse's has this ability almost EVERY day to be at a consistent temperature during the heat of the day...then JUMP up randomly about 3 degrees at 4 or 5 pm reports...then fall again. This so often makes SYR temps average higher than what they probably were that day. Doesn't seem very official when sun angle seems to impact the thermometer.

I find BGM'S station to be so ridiculous in that it is such a misrepresentation of what the temperatures are in the Binghamton area.Yes, It is at a higher elevation, and even with that, the local weather stations are often much warmer than what their airport shows. The Urban area displays temps well above the BGM's ridiculously low temp reports.

Albany's has been the same. Their temps have been coming in quite cool this summer. I was wondering if they're really that much cooler, but again, looking at local obs...they're all 3 to 5 degrees warmer than what the airport is showing.

2 hours ago, CNY_WX said:

What is the job situation there?

I’d be doing the same thing I do here in Buffalo, working out of Cheyenne and living in Laramie. Nothing set in stone yet just an idea we’re contemplating in a couple years from now after my sons adoption goes through. Making $60,000 a year in Wyoming would go a lot further than $60,000 a year in New York. The money I would save on property tax and state income tax alone would make such a huge difference not to mention the cost of gas and food is even cheaper here than in New York. It really is a great place to live and raise a young family. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I’d be doing the same thing I do here in Buffalo, working out of Cheyenne and living in Laramie. Nothing set in stone yet just an idea we’re contemplating in a couple years from now after my sons adoption goes through. Making $60,000 a year in Wyoming would go a lot further than $60,000 a year in New York. The money I would save on property tax and state income tax alone would make such a huge difference not to mention the cost of gas and food is even cheaper here than in New York. It really is a great place to live and raise a young family. 

I hope you move there. I'll be visiting yearly. ^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

So I have an observation...ive noticed the past week that each morning the temp at the NWS KBUF site is 6 to 7 degrees warmer than surrounding sites...i see it every morning on WIVB and this morning was no different. All the northern area sites were low to mid 50's and KBUF is at 64...is the instrument off? I live 3 miles and change from the NWS and I find it hard to believe as my backyard is sitting at 56.8 and 3 miles away it's 64? 

Yup...

45547ADB-2CDF-4D5F-91D2-2FB0CD8B3BA0.jpeg

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Good image to tell the story!  Quick look at current temps right now tells the same story. BUF at 71, at least 3 degrees higher than anywhere else nearby, including lakeshores and other urban areas. 

Could also be BUF only updates once an hour. Especially when the sun goes down temps can easily drop 3+ degrees in an hour which could be the disparity between the surrounding sites which update as frequently as every minute. 

11 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Ok so it's happened again..kbuf is reporting 62 and every site around is 7 to 9 degrees colder...even Dunkirk right on the lake is 57...something is wrong with the instrument

I’m gonna track this a little more and see if the trend holds...

Took a glance at the map at 540 and KBUF was showing 71.  They did drop to 69 at 610 when the metar updated, but the surrounding stations also showed a drop.  So if we are going to analyze this have to take the readings right when KBUF updates since it’s an hourly update vs real time on the PWS.  Either way really looks like KBUF is reporting 4-5 degrees higher than the surrounding stations.  

6838C427-1BA0-4907-80E8-979621A6E277.jpeg

1C08B2EE-2623-4709-A386-C4B34D96E02B.jpeg

Driest air I’ve ever felt. 90 degrees out with a 3 degree dew point giving a RH of 3%. No wonder there’s so many wildfires out here. 

Current conditions at

Laramie Regional Airport (KLAR)

Lat: 41.32°NLon: 105.67°WElev: 7270ft.
sct.png

Fair

90°F

32°C

Humidity 3%
Wind Speed W 16 G 28 mph
Barometer 30.36 in (1016.2 mb)
Dewpoint 3°F (-16°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 86°F (30°C)
Last update 5 Sep 4:53 pm MDT
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Driest sure I’ve ever felt. 90 degrees out with a 3 degree dew point giving a RH of 3%. No wonder there’s so many wildfires out here. 

Current conditions at

Laramie Regional Airport (KLAR)

Lat: 41.32°NLon: 105.67°WElev: 7270ft.
sct.png

Fair

90°F

32°C

Humidity 3%
Wind Speed W 16 G 28 mph
Barometer 30.36 in (1016.2 mb)
Dewpoint 3°F (-16°C)
Visibility 10.00 mi
Heat Index 86°F (30°C)
Last update 5 Sep 4:53 pm MDT

What 4 day stretch...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

What 4 day stretch...

Sure is. Gonna be leaving Tuesday evening. Snow should be over but low temp is forecasted at 9 degrees. Gonna be a hell of a change going from 90 today to 9 by Tuesday evening with a foot of snow in between. I have a hard time believing that much is going to stick given the antecedent conditions but I guess when temps quickly plummet into the mid 20s with heavy snow falling its certainly possible. 

I’ve had a theory all summer that something changed in regards to the kbuf reporting station.  Either the instrument is just off or a new building or parking lot was constructed nearby contributing to the urban heat island effect.  During that record breaking week in July, buffalo was consistently warmer than anyone else when they really shouldn’t have been.  It’s been odd summer.  

41 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I’ve had a theory all summer that something changed in regards to the kbuf reporting station.  Either the instrument is just off or a new building or parking lot was constructed nearby contributing to the urban heat island effect.  During that record breaking week in July, buffalo was consistently warmer than anyone else when they really shouldn’t have been.  It’s been odd summer.  

I'd love to hear some feedback on this. In all seriousness it is making the reported temps much higher than they are. If this is true we may not have been a full 3 degrees above normal for August. 

1 hour ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Sure is. Gonna be leaving Tuesday evening. Snow should be over but low temp is forecasted at 9 degrees. Gonna be a hell of a change going from 90 today to 9 by Tuesday evening with a foot of snow in between. I have a hard time believing that much is going to stick given the antecedent conditions but I guess when temps quickly plummet into the mid 20s with heavy snow falling its certainly possible. 

I'll be up in the mountains of Oregon and Washington in Late October. Excited to see it out there.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I'd love to hear some feedback on this. In all seriousness it is making the reported temps much higher than they are. If this is true we may not have been a full 3 degrees above normal for August. 

Yeah doesn’t seem right.  For the hottest summer ever, outside that July stretch I didn’t think it was that crazy hot.  Seemed like our actual high temps were consistently hitting a few degrees above the forecasted highs like every day.  Could mean a probe issue?  Remember couple years ago when we started questioning the Lake Erie temps being so out of wack and they found out the water temp probe lost calibration was reporting like 4 degrees off for months. 

Pulled another sample right at the 9pm update so the field is all pretty much at the same time.  Sun has set already, it’s been cloudy and rainy all afternoon so no real solar or urban influence.  Really nothing in that area that would influence it suddenly that I can think of.  Airport on one side, Parking lot on another.  Private house and small commercial building on the other two sides.  

Numbers are very consistent with upper 50s in the southtowns and low 60s in the northtowns.  Can see the lake influence.  The ONLY outlier from all these different sites is KBUF at 67?  

DA7A6FCE-A1F9-4C10-8319-A8E050B59EB7.png

9 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Yeah doesn’t seem right.  For the hottest summer ever, outside that July stretch I didn’t think it was that crazy hot.  Seemed like our actual high temps were consistently hitting a few degrees above the forecasted highs like every day.  Could mean a probe issue?  Remember couple years ago when we started questioning the Lake Erie temps being so out of wack and they found out the water temp probe lost calibration was reporting like 4 degrees off for months. 

Pulled another sample right at the 9pm update so the field is all pretty much at the same time.  Sun has set already, it’s been cloudy and rainy all afternoon so no real solar or urban influence.  Really nothing in that area that would influence it suddenly that I can think of.  Airport on one side, Parking lot on another.  Private house and small commercial building on the other two sides.  

Numbers are very consistent with upper 50s in the southtowns and low 60s in the northtowns.  Can see the lake influence.  The ONLY outlier from all these different sites is KBUF at 67?  

DA7A6FCE-A1F9-4C10-8319-A8E050B59EB7.png

Tied for 2nd hottest ever. 2005 was a scorcher.

118797371_3722881027741558_1585989683266