• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

3 hours ago, Polarbear said:

Severe weather seems like a swing and a miss....

The nocturnal warm frontal rounds of convection always looked a little hit or miss. The main line convection this afternoon will be the primary threat.  Still looks like some areas on the lake plain might be spared depending where it sets up. 

27 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Looks like we should break into some sun here for a few hours. That will really send the CAPE soaring above 2000-2500j/kg. Might be just what we need for the afternoon storms to work with. 

Definitely, that break in coming in and will warm things up quickly...

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

The nocturnal warm frontal rounds of convection always looked a little hit or miss. The main line convection this afternoon will be the primary threat.  Still looks like some areas on the lake plain might be spared depending where it sets up. 

Yes I agree with the winds SW off the lake the Buffalo Metro and surrounding northern burbs will probably have the best chance to miss these storms. I'm thinking the rains on Friday night and Saturday have a chance for a much more widespread affect across the area.

The atmosphere is certainly ripe.  It takes about 2 minutes of sun for its to self destruct into low cumulus, which is happening right now out my window.  Dewpoint sitting at 71.  Large area of clearing over South Ontario, hopefully this juicy airmass can advect our way.

42 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Reports of wind damage from the 8 am storms in the Bville area over to Plainville. I don't see any damage in my area of Lysander.

Current storm just dumped the rain.

I ran into someone this a.m. that was wondering if these thunderstorms were due to the hurricane.  I naturally said Yes. Yes they are. Wait till the eye gets here in a couple of days...

I think she half believed me...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I ran into someone this a.m. that was wondering if these thunderstorms were due to the hurricane.  I naturally said Yes. Yes they are. Wait till the eye gets here in a couple of days...

I think she half believed me...

BAHAHA! Good to see you posting... it's been a while.

Meteorology is definitely a science of which people seem completely oblivious. Perhaps in part due to an over-dramatic media?

Current weather: you can tell where the warm front is. Training thunderstorms over Syracuse/Central NY with temps around 70. To the west in the Finger Lakes/Southern Tier temps approaching mid to upper 80s. To the north and east of us temps in the mid 60s. 25 degree difference from Finger Lakes to Mohawk Valley.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

P.S. Did you see the picture of 81 in downtown Cuse under water this morning from the 8 am storms?

I didn't see them but I know parts of Syracuse can flash flood in these conditions. A few years back a man fell into an open manhole in flood conditions and was sucked into the underground sewer system and perished...they extracted his body near where I work. Sad.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Flying MXZ said:

I can see nice dark clouds, but nothing special.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say it looks like a little spin-up trying to happen. Should be passing Delhi now. Lots of lightning with that storm as well. Seeing a little green in the 'hook' area.

codnexlab.NEXRAD.BGM.N0U.20200827.1800.006ani.gif