• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

12 hours ago, vortmax said:

Just went the the NHC site to check things out and saw this old map. How often do you see something so far north over land in Canada with tropical storm winds over Quebec City?

cone graphic

Was Hazel fully extratropical? I think it tracked all the way up to James Bay.

50 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Just another normal summer night at BUF sitting at 86 deg as we approach 8pm. So warm, so late, all summer. Interesting...

I am interested to see what the warm means for a lake response in late fall.  It will get cold at some point.  

1 hour ago, cleetussnow said:

I am interested to see what the warm means for a lake response in late fall.  It will get cold at some point.  

It’s been shown that is has no effect on lake effect season what so ever. A really warm lake now can easily be wiped out in a couples weeks of below average temperatures in September or October when it’s still too warm for snow but cold enough to quickly drain all the excess heat from the lake. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, brentrich said:

Weather channel just issued fall outlook for northeast and it doesn't look good. Above average from September to November. We had above average in June to August, when will we ever see normal average or below average, tired of this heat already. 

I put as much stock in those outlooks as I do in Enron

57 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I put as much stock in those outlooks as I do in Enron

Yeah, in general we're going to trend above normal, but long range outlooks don't seem to be able to identify when the normal or below normal stretches will happen. Whenever I look at these things, it just looks like they stick with "persistence."

• Like 1

This is anecdotal at best, but a warm fall sounds good to me if you want a cold winter.  The winters with cold Octobers and wintry Novembers always seem to flip hard to warmth for December and January.  Losing the two best months for lake effect is a crusher.  Lets keep its warm through the fall and have the pattern flip hard in December and January.  Thats the look I want to see at least.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

This is anecdotal at best, but a warm fall sounds good to me if you want a cold winter.  The winters with cold Octobers and wintry Novembers always seem to flip hard to warmth for December and January.  Losing the two best months for lake effect is a crusher.  Lets keep its warm through the fall and have the pattern flip hard in December and January.  Thats the look I want to see at least.  

Agreed. We've had cold Nov and 1st half Dec, it seems, for many years in a row. I'd like to see the cold hit in 2nd half Dec and thru Jan-Mar. Hoping the teleconnections are lined up well this winter season!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Just installed and setup my Weatherflow Tempest the other day. Here's the link if anyone is interested:

https://tempestwx.com/station/26189

Impressed so far with the performance, ease of installation/setup, app, and general usability. 

20200811_165502.jpg

So how did you run the cables to the outside?  Did you just drill right through from an interior room?  I want to put up some cameras and a weather station but always get hung up on the logistics of getting power outside.  So many ways to do it but all have pros and cons.  

3 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

So how did you run the cables to the outside?  Did you just drill right through from an interior room?  I want to put up some cameras and a weather station but always get hung up on the logistics of getting power outside.  So many ways to do it but all have pros and cons.  

It's WiFi w/solar to power batteries. Comes with a receiver which connects wireless to my router.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I have several cameras on my house. Used a Nest Camera which is super easy to install as it’s WiFi and you just plug it into an outlet, it has a 25 foot cord which is also flat so I run it through the window and close the window on it and it’s thin enough I can still lock the window and didn’t have to drill any holes through the house. Literally set up in less than 5 minutes and can stream online and view on my phone from anywhere. Full 1080p HD too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

I have several cameras on my house. Used a Nest Camera which is super easy to install as it’s WiFi and you just plug it into an outlet, it has a 25 foot cord which is also flat so I run it through the window and close the window on it and it’s thin enough I can still lock the window and didn’t have to drill any holes through the house. Literally set up in less than 5 minutes and can stream online and view on my phone from anywhere. Full 1080p HD too. 

My house is ridiculous and has zero outlets on the outside of the house.  I’m looking to change that this fall and finally run power to my shed and several other places. 

37 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

My house is ridiculous and has zero outlets on the outside of the house.  I’m looking to change that this fall and finally run power to my shed and several other places. 

You could go with POE cameras. Basically you just have to run a single ethernet cable to each camera, outdoor rated of course. You'll have to attach your ends which isnt too bad but you'll need the tool.

The other route are WAZE cameras, which use USB power cables and transmit the data over wifi. 

Either solution requires a small hole through the wall, preferably into the basement. If you have vinyl siding you can hide the cable in the corner caps.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Just had an hour long storm here. First big test for the new weather station. Marble hail, lighting, tropical downpour, 45-50 wind gusts. Really impressed with the readings.

These pop-up storms that have fired up are nearly stationary over the areas where they form. I'm impressed you got those winds like that in the current setup.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
654 PM EDT Sat Aug 15 2020

The National Weather Service in Buffalo has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  Northeastern Cattaraugus County in western New York...
  Southeastern Erie County in western New York...

* Until 1100 PM EDT.

* At 653 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing
  heavy rain across the warned area. Up to two inches of rain have
  already fallen. Flash flooding is ongoing or expected to begin
  shortly.

Nice looking week ahead..

Monday
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 2pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 74. South wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Monday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. Southwest wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Tuesday
A slight chance of showers after 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 72. Light west wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 53.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 73.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 54.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 73.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 53.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.