• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

3 hours ago, vortmax said:

Thinking about getting the Weatherflow Tempest Station. Seems like a legit new product with no moving parts, yet covers a lot measurements. Check it out... https://shop.weatherflow.com/

I was looking into that a while back but was worried about the accuracy of the haptic rain scenario which some online claim wasn't as reliable..Let us know how it is if you get it!!

• Like 1

I wound up getting an ambient weather station, if I'm not mistaken westerly also has the same model, definitely has exceeded expectations, seems pretty accurate, app works well, has a bunch of decent features and best of all it was on sale for $129!! Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

I wound up getting an ambient weather station, if I'm not mistaken westerly also has the same model, definitely has exceeded expectations, seems pretty accurate, app works well, has a bunch of decent features and best of it was on sale for $129!! Lol

A Met (and CoCoRaHS) reviewed it on YouTube and said it's within 10% accuracy of the device he uses for obs. Good enough for me :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I wound up getting an ambient weather station, if I'm not mistaken westerly also has the same model, definitely has exceeded expectations, seems pretty accurate, app works well, has a bunch of decent features and best of all it was on sale for $129!! Lol

Yep same one I got. I love it and haven't had any issues in the 3 years I’ve had it. For the price you can’t beat it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

Yep same one I got. I love it and haven't had any issues in the 3 years I’ve had it. For the price you can’t beat it. 

There's a deal to get the Tempest one for $229...not too much more than the Ambient WS-2902B ($170), but doesn't come with a console...just phone app.

Question: Is the best place to mount these on the roof or do you put them on a pole in the middle of your yard or something? I know the anemometer should be higher up than say the rain gauge, but that's not possible in an all-in-one unit.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vortmax said:

There's a deal to get the Tempest one for $229...not too much more than the Ambient WS-2902B ($170), but doesn't come with a console...just phone app.

Question: Is the best place to mount these on the roof or do you put them on a pole in the middle of your yard or something? I know the anemometer should be higher up than say the rain gauge, but that's not possible in an all-in-one unit.

I have mine mounted on a pole in the middle of my yard 6 feet above the ground. Might not be where your supposed to put it but I haven’t had time to go up on the roof and mount it at my new house since I moved from West Seneca in December. I find my readings are still within a degree for temp and dew point for surrounding stations. Wind data does seem to be compromised though and I think our house as well as surrounding houses definitely do block some of the wind as even in high wind warning criteria winds I can never get a gust to measure above 30-35mph but I’m not really concerned with that aspect for the most part. 

• Like 2

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
357 PM EDT THU JUL 30 2020

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR 7/29/2020 TORNADO EVENT...

.TORNADO CONFIRMED IN SOUTHERN MONROE COUNTY...

START LOCATION...WHEATLAND CENTER IN MONROE COUNTY, NY
END LOCATION...SCOTTSVILLE IN MONROE COUNTY, NY
DATE...JULY 29, 2020
ESTIMATED TIME...653 PM TO 657 PM EDT
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF0
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...75 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...100 YARDS
PATH LENGTH...4.2 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON...43.0019/-77.8222
ENDING LAT/LON...43.0050/-77.7440
* FATALITIES...0
* INJURIES...0

...SUMMARY...
A SUPERCELL THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPED OVER GENESEE COUNTY AND TRACKED
EAST-SOUTHEAST FROM JUST SOUTH OF THE INTERCHANGE OF THE NEW YORK
STATE THRUWAY AND I-490. SCATTERED TREE LIMB DAMAGE CONSISTENT
WITH STRAIGHT LINE WINDS WAS FOUND ALONG THE OATKA CREEK UPON
FOLLOWING THE PATH OF THIS STORM INTO MONROE COUNTY STARTING
JUST EAST OF BEULAH ROAD AND CONTINUING THROUGH MUMFORD. DAMAGE
BECAME MORE CONCENTRATED UPON CROSSING WHEATLAND CENTER ROAD AND
ENTERING OATKA CREEK PARK. A GRASSY FIELD WAS LAID DOWN FLAT IN 
THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF THE STORM MOTION WITH TREE DAMAGE TO THE
SOUTH END OF THE FIELD INDICATING ROTATION WITH SEVERAL DAMAGE
TREES HAVING BROKEN TO THE NORTHEAST. FARTHER EAST, A PARTIALLY-
FLATTENED CORN FIELD WITH TWO SHALLOW-ROOTED UPROOTED TREES ALONG 
ITS SOUTHERN PERIPHERY WAS COUPLED WITH SEVERAL BROKEN TREES ALONG
A HIKING PATH THROUGH OATKA CREEK PARK INDICATING OPPOSING
DIRECTIONAL DAMAGE. SCATTERED DAMAGE CONTINUED FARTHER EAST FROM
OATKA CREEK PARK ALONG QUAKER ROAD SOUTH OF SCOTTSVILLE. A SECOND 
MORE CONCENTRATED AREA OF DAMAGE WAS FOUND NEAR THE INTERSECTION 
OF QUAKER ROAD AND ROUTE 251. SEVERAL TREES WERE DOWNED ALONG THE
HILLSIDE WEST OF ROUTE 251, INTO ROUTE 251, AND ON THE PROPERTY AT 
THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF ROUTE 251 AND QUAKER ROAD. THIS INCLUDED 
AT LEAST THREE UPROOTED SHALLOW-ROOTED TREES AND ONE APPROXIMATELY 
FIVE FOOT DIAMETER BROKEN AND TWISTED HARDWOOD TREE ALONG WITH 
MANY DOWNED SMALLER LIMBS THAT INDICATED A CONVERGENT DAMAGE PATH.

DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE MAJORITY OF THE PATH OF THIS STORM WAS
ALONG OATKA CREEK AND THROUGH THE OATKA CREEK PARK AND IN AN AREA
THAT IS PRIMARILY RURAL, THERE WAS NO DAMAGE TO ANY STRUCTURES.
BECAUSE OF THIS, THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE USE EXCLUSIVELY
TREE DAMAGE INDICATORS TO REACH A CONCLUSION OF AN EF0 STRENGTH
AND MAXIMUM WIND SPEED OF 75 MPH. 
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
357 PM EDT THU JUL 30 2020

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR 7/29/2020 TORNADO EVENT...

.TORNADO CONFIRMED IN SOUTHERN MONROE COUNTY...

START LOCATION...WHEATLAND CENTER IN MONROE COUNTY, NY
END LOCATION...SCOTTSVILLE IN MONROE COUNTY, NY
DATE...JULY 29, 2020
ESTIMATED TIME...653 PM TO 657 PM EDT
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF0
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...75 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...100 YARDS
PATH LENGTH...4.2 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON...43.0019/-77.8222
ENDING LAT/LON...43.0050/-77.7440
* FATALITIES...0
* INJURIES...0

...SUMMARY...
A SUPERCELL THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPED OVER GENESEE COUNTY AND TRACKED
EAST-SOUTHEAST FROM JUST SOUTH OF THE INTERCHANGE OF THE NEW YORK
STATE THRUWAY AND I-490. SCATTERED TREE LIMB DAMAGE CONSISTENT
WITH STRAIGHT LINE WINDS WAS FOUND ALONG THE OATKA CREEK UPON
FOLLOWING THE PATH OF THIS STORM INTO MONROE COUNTY STARTING
JUST EAST OF BEULAH ROAD AND CONTINUING THROUGH MUMFORD. DAMAGE
BECAME MORE CONCENTRATED UPON CROSSING WHEATLAND CENTER ROAD AND
ENTERING OATKA CREEK PARK. A GRASSY FIELD WAS LAID DOWN FLAT IN 
THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF THE STORM MOTION WITH TREE DAMAGE TO THE
SOUTH END OF THE FIELD INDICATING ROTATION WITH SEVERAL DAMAGE
TREES HAVING BROKEN TO THE NORTHEAST. FARTHER EAST, A PARTIALLY-
FLATTENED CORN FIELD WITH TWO SHALLOW-ROOTED UPROOTED TREES ALONG 
ITS SOUTHERN PERIPHERY WAS COUPLED WITH SEVERAL BROKEN TREES ALONG
A HIKING PATH THROUGH OATKA CREEK PARK INDICATING OPPOSING
DIRECTIONAL DAMAGE. SCATTERED DAMAGE CONTINUED FARTHER EAST FROM
OATKA CREEK PARK ALONG QUAKER ROAD SOUTH OF SCOTTSVILLE. A SECOND 
MORE CONCENTRATED AREA OF DAMAGE WAS FOUND NEAR THE INTERSECTION 
OF QUAKER ROAD AND ROUTE 251. SEVERAL TREES WERE DOWNED ALONG THE
HILLSIDE WEST OF ROUTE 251, INTO ROUTE 251, AND ON THE PROPERTY AT 
THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF ROUTE 251 AND QUAKER ROAD. THIS INCLUDED 
AT LEAST THREE UPROOTED SHALLOW-ROOTED TREES AND ONE APPROXIMATELY 
FIVE FOOT DIAMETER BROKEN AND TWISTED HARDWOOD TREE ALONG WITH 
MANY DOWNED SMALLER LIMBS THAT INDICATED A CONVERGENT DAMAGE PATH.

DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE MAJORITY OF THE PATH OF THIS STORM WAS
ALONG OATKA CREEK AND THROUGH THE OATKA CREEK PARK AND IN AN AREA
THAT IS PRIMARILY RURAL, THERE WAS NO DAMAGE TO ANY STRUCTURES.
BECAUSE OF THIS, THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE USE EXCLUSIVELY
TREE DAMAGE INDICATORS TO REACH A CONCLUSION OF AN EF0 STRENGTH
AND MAXIMUM WIND SPEED OF 75 MPH. 

Wow, this really happened...interesting!  Delta you missed out man!!

1 hour ago, vortmax said:

Wow, this really happened...interesting!  Delta you missed out man!!

Un****ing believable. I firmly believe I would have intercepted and got photos of this tornado if I hadn’t been recovering from surgery. I know that area extremely well. This will likely be the best chance I’ll ever get living here and I slept through it. So incredibly disappointed.  It was the only nap I took all week too. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Un****ing believable. I firmly believe I would have intercepted and got photos of this tornado if I hadn’t been recovering from surgery. I know that area extremely well. This will likely be the best chance I’ll ever get living here and I slept through it. So incredibly disappointed.  It was the only nap I took all week too. 

Not your fault. There wasn't even a slight risk for severe. That thing had some crazy rotation for 15-20 minutes though. 

On 7/30/2020 at 2:19 PM, winter_rules said:

I know it’s not really applicable coming from the tropics, but imagine that track up the coast in the winter....

It's the last day if July, nowhere near peak hurricane season and I think this is the 8th or 9th named storm with this being the 4th (potentially) to hit the states? It's 2020 so I'm guessing we should be on the verge of the all time strongest hurricane on record to hit the US??? Man I'm almost afraid to ask what else....i won't finish it...

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

It's the last day if July, nowhere near peak hurricane season and I think this is the 8th or 9th named storm with this being the 4th (potentially) to hit the states? It's 2020 so I'm guessing we should be on the verge of the all time strongest hurricane on record to hit the US??? Man I'm almost afraid to ask what else....i won't finish it...

Is there any evidence (either way) that multiple early storms reduce the chance of a larger storm(s) later?  I could see early storms releasing some of the latent heat energy from the water, but it wouldn’t shock me if the duration and relative size of a few storms might not have much effect, if any, on the overall energy stored in the Atlantic/Gulf.  Any thoughts? 

31 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

Is there any evidence (either way) that multiple early storms reduce the chance of a larger storm(s) later?  I could see early storms releasing some of the latent heat energy from the water, but it wouldn’t shock me if the duration and relative size of a few storms might not have much effect, if any, on the overall energy stored in the Atlantic/Gulf.  Any thoughts? 

Not sure, but it's probability now...better chances for a higher total due to the active 1st half. It would be interesting to understand the global patterns (oscillations) which allowed such an active 1st half. 

I dont usually visit this thread till late October early November when LES kicks off, well not the last handful of years, lol, but I think they are grossly underestimating this Hurricane because she's about to explode as she exits the big Island of the Bahamas and she heads to Nassau. The water up the whole coast is just stupid warm, something we haven't seen in some time, I'd have to imagine but I could be wrong. I'm not a big Tropical Storm fan but this yr looks to be a big season so I will frequentthis thread especiallythe next few days. We are already on I with a long way to go this season lets just hope its a harbinger of things to come this Winter season!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I dont usually visit this thread till late October early November when LES kicks off, well not the last handful of years, lol, but I think they are grossly underestimating this Hurricane because she's about to explode as she exits the big Island of the Bahamas and she heads to Nassau. The water up the whole coast is just stupid warm, something we haven't seen in some time, I'd have to imagine but I could be wrong. I'm not a big Tropical Storm fan but this yr looks to be a big season so I will frequentthis thread especiallythe next few days. We are already on I with a long way to go this season lets just hope its a harbinger of things to come this Winter season!

There is quite a bit of shear so I don't expect it to get too strong. It's also moving very quickly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

There is quite a bit of shear so I don't expect it to get too strong. It's also moving very quickly.

I don’t think it makes it above a low end cat 2 if that. There’s a ton of dry air all around it and as you said some pretty strong SW shear keeping everything from wrapping around the center symmetrically. The eyewall keeps going back and forth between open and closed and until it can close permanently and convection can sustain and expand around it (which is hard to do with the strong shear) it’s not going to strengthen much. I think it’s best chance to strengthen is actually in between Florida and the Carolinas if it can avoid riding inland along Florida. SST are just as warm there as near the Bahamas but shear will decrease and as it approaches NC or so it will begin interacting the the trough to the west and the SW flow from the low level jet will likely enhance the winds as it gets picked up and scooted very quickly through the Mid Atlantic into New England. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I noticed that much later as I usually don't even look at models during Tropical Season but I did afterwards and noticed lots not going to good for Isaias but that could change at any moment.

Shes flaring up along the coast of FL
and most guidance now keeps her offshore until landfall in the Carolinas somewhere. If she can stay over the Stupid warm waters of the Gulf Stream then I can see her starting to gain some strength so we'll see. Convection is certainly starting to blossom throughout the core but thats been the ebb and flow of this system so far.

• Like 1