• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Yeah those were far and few between. Hopefully this upcoming season will be better...i guess it couldn't be any worse...oh wait it is 2020...nevermind...

Let’s set the over under on 20” for the season since it’s 2020 and we’ll likely have the worst winter in Buffalo history and it won’t even be close haha. 

3 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Yeah those were far and few between. Hopefully this upcoming season will be better...i guess it couldn't be any worse...oh wait it is 2020...nevermind...

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

Let’s set the over under on 20” for the season since it’s 2020 and we’ll likely have the worst winter in Buffalo history and it won’t even be close haha. 

I would think with everything bad going on so far this year, having an easy winter is more anti 2020 then 2020. A warm winter likely leads to less spread of Covid. A cold/snowy summer and we have more spread. 99% of people would say having 150" of snow and a colder then normal winter is so "2020". We are the odd lot of the group. ^_^

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

2020: Devastating Ice Storms cometh. Most people hate those.

Throw in some high winds at the same time so Delta can get his jollies.

That is one thing that we haven't had in awhile. Ice storms cause far more damage then any snowstorm can, aside from the big ones like Oct 2006 and Nov 2014. There have been some real doozies up in the Northeast.

• Like 1

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

That is one thing that we haven't had in awhile. Ice storms cause far more damage then any snowstorm can, aside from the big ones like Oct 2006 and Nov 2014. There have been some real doozies up in the Northeast.

Ice storms have the potential to the be some of the most devastating weather on the planet in the perfect catastrophic scenario.  

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

We just saw a tropical depression almost turn into a Cat 2 hurricane in less then 30 hours in the gulf. If that is a sign of things to come we're getting 1976-1977 winter this year. ;)

Remember hurricane Michael in 2018 went from a depression to a cat 5 in like 36 hours.  The Gulf of Mexico is a tinder box for tropical systems.  I’d definitely be nervous living down there this time of year. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Remember hurricane Michael in 2018 went from a depression to a cat 5 in like 36 hours.  The Gulf of Mexico is a tinder box for tropical systems.  I’d definitely be nervous living down there this time of year. 

NHC forecasted a big year this year. One of the highest I've ever seen them forecast.

GRAPHIC-2020-Hurricane-Outlook-piechart-052120-3840x2388-original.png

On 7/19/2020 at 4:44 PM, brentrich said:

So...... any signs of fall coming soon? 

It’s 37 degrees in Utqiagvik (Barrow), Alaska this morning.  This is with the sun above the horizon for 24 hours.  It will finally dip below the horizon next week.

34 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Officially lake effect season 

571F96D4-3D4C-45A7-A71B-66717BB1E659.jpeg

Love lake effect season! Even lake effect rain. Just so fascinating seeing such mesoscale events produced purely from the bodies of water to our west! I can remember a lake effect rain event about 8-10 years ago that rained 3-4 inches of rain over the metro area in a few hours and it was just fascinating to see with lots of urban flooding. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Love lake effect season! Even lake effect rain. Just so fascinating seeing such mesoscale events produced purely from the bodies of water to our west! I can remember a lake effect rain event about 8-10 years ago that rained 3-4 inches of rain over the metro area in a few hours and it was just fascinating to see with lots of urban flooding. 

After this warm summer I'll definitely be looking forward to fall and winter. Also can't wait for waterspout season. Want to finally get some drone footage. 

• Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 9:33 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

After this warm summer I'll definitely be looking forward to fall and winter. Also can't wait for waterspout season. Want to finally get some drone footage. 

We might get a first glimpse next week as highs are mid 70's and lows in the low 60's...might spawn thunderstorm or two at night

I think Syracuse finally broke its 40+ consecutive day stretch with highs over 80 degrees. We only made it to 79 degrees today. I don't think the official temp hit 80 at SYR Hancock. It was mostly 76 to 78 here throughout the day. The temp felt nice, but it has been MUGGY.

This marks just the beginning of our downward trend towards Fall. :)

16 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I think Syracuse finally broke its 40+ consecutive day stretch with highs over 80 degrees. We only made it to 79 degrees today. I don't think the official temp hit 80 at SYR Hancock. It was mostly 76 to 78 here throughout the day. The temp felt nice, but it has been MUGGY.

This marks just the beginning of our downward trend towards Fall. :)

Yes, there won’t be another 40 day streak of 80+ this summer so we are sliding downhill now!  Really, really, really slowly for another few weeks....

People in our office who complain about the weather being too cold 8 months of each year were recently complaining about it being too hot this summer.  That cracks me up....people are never happy no matter what the situation is.  That doesn’t just apply to weather, either! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

Yes, there won’t be another 40 day streak of 80+ this summer so we are sliding downhill now!  Really, really, really slowly for another few weeks....

People in our office who complain about the weather being too cold 8 months of each year were recently complaining about it being too hot this summer.  That cracks me up....people are never happy no matter what the situation is.  That doesn’t just apply to weather, either! 

Hopefully there won't be another 40 day streak for a LOOOOONG time. lol... Once we get to the 3rd week of August is when I start to notice the definite turn towards Fall...much shorter days, cloud types, mosquitoes disappear, apples season JUST beginning. If we can take next week's predicted weather and hang in the Upper 70s to Lower 80s (Lower to Mid 70s would be even better) for the next couple weeks, I will be a happy man.

Good point about happiness. It is a choice we each need to make. I know I will NOT complain about the cold in winter because I want winter. We all know I complain when the snow won't come...lol

Good reminder to make peace with whatever we get, because some things we have no control over. But we do have control over our attitudes and how we respond.

31 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hopefully there won't be another 40 day streak for a LOOOOONG time. lol... Once we get to the 3rd week of August is when I start to notice the definite turn towards Fall...much shorter days, cloud types, mosquitoes disappear, apples season JUST beginning. If we can take next week's predicted weather and hang in the Upper 70s to Lower 80s (Lower to Mid 70s would be even better) for the next couple weeks, I will be a happy man.

Good point about happiness. It is a choice we each need to make. I know I will NOT complain about the cold in winter because I want winter. We all know I complain when the snow won't come...lol

Good reminder to make peace with whatever we get, because some things we have no control over. But we do have control over our attitudes and how we respond.

Don't get too excited. Last year I was swimming in Mid October with high 80s. ;)

I don't really complain about any type of weather. I really do enjoy all 4 seasons. If I had to pick my least favorite it would be spring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Don't get too excited. Last year I was swimming in Mid October with high 80s. ;)

I don't really complain about any type of weather. I really do enjoy all 4 seasons. If I had to pick my least favorite it would be spring.

There you go...crushing my cool-weather dreams again.... :P 

Hey, we agree! Spring is my least favorite as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2