• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

@WNash Did you guys get your jobs through civil service exams? County or state? I've looked in border control, but you have to go to mexico border for 3 years. Those guys make insane money at the peace bridge. I couldn't do corrections and now with what's going on with police, I'd pass on that. Fireman sounds awesome but you have to live in the city now.

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

@WNash Did you guys get your jobs through civil service exams? County or state? I've looked in border control, but you have to go to mexico border for 3 years. Those guys make insane money at the peace bridge. I couldn't do corrections and now with what's going on with police, I'd pass on that. Fireman sounds awesome but you have to live in the city now.

Neither of us are civil service. At all SUNY schools there are civil service lines (represented by CSEA) and professional lines (represented by UUP), and professional lines go through a competitive search, basically like the rest of the world. But I work with plenty of civil service, and even have been on civil service search committee. I wish I had done civil service years ago when I lived in NYC. Your exam results get you in the door, but I’m not kidding when I say that if you’re civil service eligible, a good interviewee, and there is an actually vacancy, you can get an offer on the spot. It’s just slogging through the exam process that’s tough. Not that it’s hard, but it’s a lot of hoops to jump though.

I have friends who are COs. It can be miserable, but if you can compartmentalize your work from the rest of your life, you can retire comfortably relatively young. I was taking to a cop friend (NYPD sergeant) a couple weeks ago and he said he wouldn’t get into it if he had been starting out now. Everything is up for change and not for the better as far as officers are concerned. 

The best state jobs in my opinion are trades jobs working for state agencies. I know a carpenter at UB, great union, very safe workplace, good pay.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WNash said:

Neither of us are civil service. At all SUNY schools there are civil service lines (represented by CSEA) and professional lines (represented by UUP), and professional lines go through a competitive search, basically like the rest of the world. But I work with plenty of civil service, and even have been on civil service search committee. I wish I had done civil service years ago when I lived in NYC. Your exam results get you in the door, but I’m not kidding when I say that if you’re civil service eligible, a good interviewee, and there is an actually vacancy, you can get an offer on the spot. It’s just slogging through the exam process that’s tough. Not that it’s hard, but it’s a lot of hoops to jump though.

I have friends who are COs. It can be miserable, but if you can compartmentalize your work from the rest of your life, you can retire comfortably relatively young. I was taking to a cop friend (NYPD sergeant) a couple weeks ago and he said he wouldn’t get into it if he had been starting out now. Everything is up for change and not for the better as far as officers are concerned. 

The best state jobs in my opinion are trades jobs working for state agencies. I know a carpenter at UB, great union, very safe workplace, good pay.

My good friend works at UB, wonder if you know him. He's been there a few years and really likes it. 

2 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

Looks great on radar 

EAF816F9-71D6-49B4-9A7B-9E412543EB02.png

Made landfall just shy of cat 2 but impressive surge all across the barrier islands and numerous reports of gusts 100-110+ mph on the coast. Pretty crazy for a TD 36 hours ago. If this thing had another 24 hours I think we would have had a major on our hands no doubt. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Made landfall just shy of cat 2 but impressive surge all across the barrier islands and numerous reports of gusts 100-110+ mph on the coast. Pretty crazy for a TD 36 hours ago. If this thing had another 24 hours I think we would have had a major on our hands no doubt. 

I'm always fascinated by the little things of timing and such that determine where and how a hurricane will impact! (But I suppose you could say that about all whether, lol)

Was going over Buffalos top 10 list and noticed the coldest month of all time was Feb 2015. Also noticed that Feb is overall a colder month then January is. (At least the top 10 list is) The coldest Feb beats the coldest January by almost 3 degrees. I found that quite shocking as average temps start to increase in last week of January on average. 

https://www.weather.gov/buf/BUF_top10

Buffalo, NY - Detailed climate information and monthly weather forecast |  Weather Atlas

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Kinda interesting that the entire Niagara Frontier is draped in a solid cloud deck this morning.  Forecast from BUF and discussion was full sun with stabilizing lake shadow with strong SW wind.  Perhaps the lake temp has warmed to the point that the typical shadow affect isn't activating...?

Not sure. There is a bunch of moisture trapped under the inversion, should burn off quickly. Really hoping we get some beneficial rains today. Amazingly, still quite dry here.

Could use the rain wherever it decides to set up :popcorn:

There is also a marginal risk for severe thunderstorms this
afternoon into this evening. The primary risk would be damaging wind
gusts, in addition to tropical like downpours and cloud to ground
lightning strikes.

qpf_acc.us_ne (19).png

qpf_acc.us_ne (18).png

Just now, Revracer800 said:

Damn that rain on the on the shore west of Rochester hasn't moved all afternoon, gotta be some impressive rain totals put there. 

Already over 3". They likely get 6"+ of rain. 

The National Weather Service in Buffalo has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  East central Niagara County in western New York...
  Central Orleans County in western New York...

* Until 715 PM EDT.

* At 315 PM EDT, Doppler radar and automated gauges indicated
  thunderstorms producing heavy rain across the warned area. Up to
  three inches of rain have already fallen from east-central Niagara
  county to central Orleans county. Flash flooding is ongoing or
  expected to begin shortly.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Already over 3". They likely get 6"+ of rain. 

The National Weather Service in Buffalo has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  East central Niagara County in western New York...
  Central Orleans County in western New York...

* Until 715 PM EDT.

* At 315 PM EDT, Doppler radar and automated gauges indicated
  thunderstorms producing heavy rain across the warned area. Up to
  three inches of rain have already fallen from east-central Niagara
  county to central Orleans county. Flash flooding is ongoing or
  expected to begin shortly.

That's crazy. Get the row boats out lol. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Easily best summer of my life so far. 

You're welcome. I helped break the summer heat records over in West Michigan after I moved there as well. My incredible ability to be a walking furnace wherever I go. Maybe it's a secret X-men power? Name: Global Warmer

32 minutes ago, Revracer800 said:

Damn that rain on the on the shore west of Rochester hasn't moved all afternoon, gotta be some impressive rain totals put there. 

It reminds me of the Sea Breeze fronts they get down in Florida. I wonder if this is a similar setup? I know the winds were coming from the North earlier today over there.

• Thanks 1

3-5" already

...THE FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 715 PM EDT FOR
EAST CENTRAL NIAGARA AND CENTRAL ORLEANS COUNTIES...

At 408 PM EDT, Doppler radar and automated gauges indicated
thunderstorms producing heavy rain across the warned area. These
storms continue to train over the same area. Three to five inches of
rain have fallen from Middleport to Medina to Albion. Flash flooding
is ongoing or expected to begin shortly.
  • Like 1