• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

10 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Flooding in West Seneca.  Orchard Park Road is currently closed with stranded vehicles 

12CDC544-F69A-4736-9F16-0665CFB15E6D.jpeg

I was at my mother in laws in Gardenville until 2 AM trying to get a sump pump working. Absolutely miserable experience that makes me appreciate my dry basement. Next time we move, a basement that doesn’t flood is going to be on my non-negotiable list.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, WNash said:

I was at my mother in laws in Gardenville until 2 AM trying to get a sump pump working. Absolutely miserable experience that makes me appreciate my dry basement. Next time we move, a basement that doesn’t flood is going to be on my non-negotiable list.

When I moved into my house my home inspector told me I needed to replace my sump pump relatively soon. 3 weeks after we moved in the sump pump shut down and the basement flooded with about 1" of water. I called a friend and we rushed to Lowes and bought a new one and was able to replace it while the basement was flooded. No issues since aside from last week when the power went out. I need a backup sump pump and a generator for the situations for when the power goes out and we get lots of rain or my 1st pump ever fails. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

When I moved into my house my home inspector told me I needed to replace my sump pump relatively soon. 3 weeks after we moved in the sump pump shut down and the basement flooded with about 1" of water. I called a friend and we rushed to Lowes and bought a new one and was able to replace it while the basement was flooded. No issues since aside from last week when the power went out. I need a backup sump pump and a generator for the situations for when the power goes out and we get lots of rain or my 1st pump ever fails. 

I’ve been in my house for 25 years and when there’s a normal amount of rain the sump pump runs continuously. I’ve had probably 5 or 6 floods in my basement, most were not caused by pump failure but by defective switches in the float.  After the last flood 3 years ago that left 4-5 inches of water we decided enough was enough and installed a backup pump that runs off of our municipal water supply.  The only time we had to use it is when our primary pump failed and it took almost a day to replace.  The backup did a good job keeping our basement dry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

We had a little more rain overnight, finished with 1.36"..I have as much rain in the last 7 days (4.01") as I did in all of may and June..

I measured 1.29 inches this morning.  I’m pushing 6 inches over the last week and a half.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

I’ve been in my house for 25 years and when there’s a normal amount of rain the sump pump runs continuously. I’ve had probably 5 or 6 floods in my basement, most were not caused by pump failure but by defective switches in the float.  After the last flood 3 years ago that left 4-5 inches of water we decided enough was enough and installed a backup pump that runs off of our municipal water supply.  The only time we had to use it is when our primary pump failed and it took almost a day to replace.  The backup did a good job keeping our basement dry.

We installed the Liberty backup water pressure powered pump as well. Nice to know that'll kick in automatically when the power goes out. I recommend to anyone.

20 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Front already quite active this morning. Lots of sunshine to destabilize. 

Screenshot_20200719-095824_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, that MCS over MI/Lake Huron is chugging along.  Looks like a solid cloud deck out ahead of it is approaching WNY though. Will be interesting to see how well that complex holds together over the next few hours.  Wonder if temps, at least in WNY, are held down today with the incoming clouds. 

57 minutes ago, Revracer800 said:

That line of storms rolling east looks nasty. Several tornado warnings and severe tstorm warnings. If that holds together western and cny is gonna get nailed good. 

The SW off lake Erie concerns me. It might shred the line apart some and miss the majority of the Niagara frontier

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

The SW off lake Erie concerns me. It might shred the line apart some and miss the majority of the Niagara frontier

Bingo. Still a decent line but well below Severe status. Special Weather Statement w/ gust to 40mph. SW flow does a number in these things 9/10 times. Only exception really is elevated convection.  

8 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Bingo. Still a decent line but well below Severe status. Special Weather Statement w/ gust to 40mph. SW flow does a number in these things 9/10 times. Only exception really is elevated convection.  

Doesn’t look like the line has weakened much to me. Pretty gnarly looking on radar anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Doesn’t look like the line has weakened much to me. Pretty gnarly looking on radar anyway. 

No STW and lost almost all of its lightning, an indicator that this thing is weakening. 50 miles ago there was a significant amount of lightning. Has a nice linear shape to it but velocity shoes no winds above 40mph. 

I’ll gladly take the rain but a little bit of a letdown from a severe perspective. 

Ehh kind of a miss on forecasting that line to roll through like it did.  First softball game of the year and the girls only got 2 innings in.  On a side note trying to explain to non weather people that the sky is about to unload is a daunting task.  On another side note... I was the only parent who made it to the car with a dry shirt.  Can’t say I didn’t try to warn them lol.

0EDD74BD-4411-493C-AD20-32FEF7F32122.jpeg

0D2EDB3B-0B8B-4F58-AFC8-4A90A54270E0.jpeg

17 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Ehh kind of a miss on forecasting that line to roll through like it did

I agree completely. I’m sitting here completely baffled as to what the hell is going on. There wasnt a single model that showed any of these prefrontal storms or rain until 8pm or later tonight yet. Very bizarre. And does that mean we still get the MCS squall line later too? 

• Like 1