Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

23 minutes ago, brentrich said:

Any signs of fall coming yet? 

The sun is getting lower in the sky every day above the arctic circle but a place like Barrow, AK still has 24 hours of sunlight.  By August 1 the sun finally dips below the horizon for a half an hour.  The lengthening of night is amazing, by the end of August, Barrow has 4 hours of the sun below the horizon.  On September 24 day and night are equal and the buildup of cold air should be starting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

The sun is getting lower in the sky every day above the arctic circle but a place like Barrow, AK still has 24 hours of sunlight.  By August 1 the sun finally dips below the horizon for a half an hour.  The lengthening of night is amazing, by the end of August, Barrow has 4 hours of the sun below the horizon.  On September 24 day and night are equal and the buildup of cold air should be starting.

I guess I gotta hang in there a little bit longer, sick of heat/humidity already. :(

Some obs from the cottage up on Chaumont Bay...It’s tropical!  Water temp has to be at least 80. Obnoxiously warm actually as you don’t get much relief when swimming.  Had a localized monsoon fire up last night from about 3-5am. Tropical-like downpours have been popping up all morning with sky high humidity, locally enhanced I’m guessing by the super warm water. Pretty cool conditions fueled i would guess in part by the freak 7 day heat bonanza that laid down a blanket of ambient heat. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Some obs from the cottage up on Chaumont Bay...It’s tropical!  Water temp has to be at least 80. Obnoxiously warm actually as you don’t get much relief when swimming.  Had a localized monsoon fire up last night from about 3-5am. Tropical-like downpours have been popping up all morning with sky high humidity, locally enhanced I’m guessing by the super warm water. Pretty cool conditions fueled i would guess in part by the freak 7 day heat bonanza that laid down a blanket of ambient heat. 

Our ground here is still bone dry, so I'm all for a couple more inches of rain over the next couple of days. This type of environment should be conducive to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vortmax said:

Our ground here is still bone dry, so I'm all for a couple more inches of rain over the next couple of days. This type of environment should be conducive to that.

Thats crazy, you guys got 2-3 inches of rain.  Are you on a hill where it really runs off?   I have standing water in portions of my yard still today.  I thankfully won't need to water anything for a good 5-7 days.  

9 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Thats crazy, you guys got 2-3 inches of rain.  Are you on a hill where it really runs off?   I have standing water in portions of my yard still today.  I thankfully won't need to water anything for a good 5-7 days.  

We're just east of the bullseye of 3+" of rain. I don't have a measure, but we probably picked up half that over double the time - and it soaked it very quickly. The topsoil here is quite thin with a lot of clay underneath so maybe that plays a roll.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

80. 5 different days 

I believe the water quality starts to suffer the warmer the lake waters get...on the other hand when we cool down towards Sept there will be thunderstorms developing at night due to the cooler air...the very first signs if lake effect...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I believe the water quality starts to suffer the warmer the lake waters get...on the other hand when we cool down towards Sept there will be thunderstorms developing at night due to the cooler air...the very first signs if lake effect...

I’m really hoping for a good lake effect season. We didn’t have one good band all of last year. We are due!! 

After this summer I’m really going to want a solid winter. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I think we have really missed out on early season lake effect rain in recent years. Septembers have been warmer than normal, with a cooling trend so gradual we miss out on the delta t’s needed for convection (lake effect rain) in the early fall.

• Like 1

KBUF sounds intrigued. 

Ridge pushes east of the area Thursday as a shortwave trough, and
its associated surface cold front advance out of the Midwest.
Scattered to numerous showers and thunderstorms are expected to
develop as the cold front sweeps into the area late Thursday and
Thursday night. Moderate to strong instability is expected to
develop by late afternoon with increasingly favorable shear
profiles. Locally damaging winds look to be the main threat, though
an isolated tornado is possible, with backed low level flow veering
with height creating strongly curved/favorable hodographs,
suggestive of strong organized convection with rotating cells.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Only 2%, typical media over blowing things.

day2probotlk_0600_torn.gif

Ummm a 2% chance of tornados in WNY is orders of magnitude higher than on an average day.  Don’t be deceived by percentages.  This is the same mindset that a 1% death rate from covid is nothing to worry about (that equates to 3.3million dead Americans) 

39 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Ummm a 2% chance of tornados in WNY is orders of magnitude higher than on an average day.  Don’t be deceived by percentages.  This is the same mindset that a 1% death rate from covid is nothing to worry about (that equates to 3.3million dead Americans) 

I agree, but we've had a couple 5% days in WNY last few years. 

43 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

This is what everyone is talking about. On their Facebook page. Misleading title 

“A tornado in Western New York tomorrow!!! The weather could get nuts by tomorrow afternoon.” 

https://wyrk.com/an-isolated-tornado-is-possible-on-thursday-in-wny/

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This is what everyone is talking about. On their Facebook page. Misleading title 

“A tornado in Western New York tomorrow!!! The weather could get nuts by tomorrow afternoon.” 

https://wyrk.com/an-isolated-tornado-is-possible-on-thursday-in-wny/

I fully agree that the average person still completely blows it when attempting to interpret a forecast.  I saw some similar posts where people just assume that a tornado will be coming through at some set time tomorrow.  These are the reasons I never became a pro forecaster, you work so hard only to be have idiots misunderstand your forecast and then ridicule like you were wrong and they were right.  It must be so frustrating.  

• Like 1