• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

4 hours ago, champy said:

Comet NEOWISE looks nice in the east ( to the left and lower than Venus). Check it out around 4 am. Took these shots outside of Baldwinsville. 

50093671316_c727dd52da_b.jpg

50093088598_4221300fe3_b.jpg

What time did you take these pictures?  I went out around 4:30 and couldn’t find the comet but it may have already been too bright.  I assume that is Venus to the right, which I saw.  Venus is right in the middle of the Hyades, an open cluster of stars in Taurus.  The Pleiades are right above it.  

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

What time did you take these pictures?  I went out around 4:30 and couldn’t find the comet but it may have already been too bright.  I assume that is Venus to the right, which I saw.  Venus is right in the middle of the Hyades, an open cluster of stars in Taurus.  The Pleiades are right above it.  

It’s quickly transitioning to an evening comet. I think today and tomorrow are the only days it can be seen both in the morning and at night (But that means it’s actually one of the harder days to find it as it’s closer to the rising and setting sun). It’ll get easier to see it as it enters darker skies in the nights ahead but it’s also fading at that time so kind of a wash maybe? I was able to see it from 410-5am on Tuesday morning.  Here is my bush league pic - iPhone held over the eyepiece of a 30 dollar crappy refractive telescope. 

C3682014-BD40-4C57-8396-C58FA54232DC.thumb.jpeg.c862b2473fed3ada8dcc5671a1ce9ea8.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CNY_WX said:

Early. 4am or maybe even a bit before. It's best when Venus starts rising and before you even get the hint of sunrise. Once it hits 415-430 it's all over because of ambient light. 

6 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This is amazing. What settings did you use for this? What camera?

Canon 5D Mark IV. 24-105mm L lens. About 4 second exposure, 800 ISO, F 5.6. Remote controlled on a tripod so you don't get mirror shake. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

It’s quickly transitioning to an evening comet. I think today and tomorrow are the only days it can be seen both in the morning and at night (But that means it’s actually one of the harder days to find it as it’s closer to the rising and setting sun). It’ll get easier to see it as it enters darker skies in the nights ahead but it’s also fading at that time so kind of a wash maybe? I was able to see it from 410-5am on Tuesday morning.  Here is my bush league pic - iPhone held over the eyepiece of a 30 dollar crappy refractive telescope. 

C3682014-BD40-4C57-8396-C58FA54232DC.thumb.jpeg.c862b2473fed3ada8dcc5671a1ce9ea8.jpeg

That’s not bad considering your Rube Goldberg setup, lol!

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Comets are fascinating. Just giant rocks floating around trillions of stars within trillions of galaxies. I cannot even comprehend it. 

Comets are actually dirty snowballs comprised of rocky material held together by frozen gases.  As a comet approaches the sun and warms the frozen gases begin to sublimate and give a comet’s coma it’s fuzzy appearance.  As they get even closer the amount of gases increases and a tail forms and gets blown off the coma by the solar wind.  As they approach perihelion many get destroyed by solar warmth and gravitational pull.  That happened this year with Comet Atlas and Comet Swan. Most comets originate in the Oort belt which is outside the orbit of Pluto.  Once they make their initial trip to the inner solar system, if they survive, they go into elongated long period orbits.  The remains of destroyed comets are the source of several meteor showers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Quite the lightning show looking south tonight.  

D608DC97-0CCC-4E07-8D17-DF4F2A518399.gif

Looks like they’re firing up just west and just south of you, that one that just fired up over Blasdell should give you a nice soaking soon. I think I’m going to be just too far N and E here to get anything but can even see the lightning from here in Amherst. 

Looks like we may finally see some beneficial showers and storms..

Fay moving off to the northeast Saturday will little impact to
the local area. Mid-level trough crossing the area will allow for
frequent beneficial showers and thunderstorms by Saturday
afternoon. Severe threat looks limited, but a moisture rich
atmosphere with surface dew points near 70 and precipitable
water values around 2.0 inches will provide the ingredients for
heavy rainfall and possible localized flooding. The convection
will diminish in coverage Saturday night with the loss of
diurnal heating and passage of the shortwave trough.

Somewhat drier air moves in behind the shortwave Sunday, but
additional scattered convection will develop mainly Sunday
afternoon due the presence of persistent mid level troughing
and the approach of another shortwave.

One last shortwave this period will pass across our region Monday
bringing scattered to widespread showers and thunderstorms.

qpf_acc.us_ne (11).png

qpf_acc.us_ne (10).png

KBGM 1148a update more bullish for CNY rain:

It`s important to not that the coldest cloud tops associated with the deepest convection and heaviest precip continues to shift toward the northwest quadrant of the storm. This gives us confidence that the western edge of the heavier rainfall shield should at least make it into our far western areas. Cyclonic flow around Fay will advect tropical moisture (PWATs exceeding 2") in from the southeast through the afternoon. Orographic lift along the eastward-facing slopes of the Poconos and Catskills looks to be key for enhanced rainfall late this afternoon and evening. Model soundings show the presence of elevated instability for NEPA and the western Catskills, which although modest, should be sufficient for embedded thunder with locally heavy rain rates over these locations from about 3-4 PM through about 10- 11 PM. There is a potential for moderate to locally heavy rainfall to linger into the overnight hours across our NY zones, especially east of I-81, as easterly flow continues to provide upslope enhancement on the northern side of the low center. Will also have to watch for where the inverted trough/residual coastal front to the north of the low center reaches. If it happens to setup a bit farther west, then rainfall totals may be underdone overnight.