• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

14 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I've always thought the one thermostat zone in a house with forced air was a horrible idea. Hot air rises. The full sun beating on your roof all day also adds to the heat upstairs. Having my nest thermostat in my dining room is useless as its the room that is in the shaded, back of the house, so as long as it's 68 there it doesn't matter it's 95 upstairs and wildly uncomfortable. Imo new houses should have multilevel smart zones for heating and cooling because a house doesn't heat and cool the same everywhere.

Yep exactly how my house is. My master bedroom is an addition put on about 15 years ago and has Cathedral ceilings so there is no attic. The only space in between the ceiling and the roof is the 10” gap which is obviously insulated but with what and how well it was insulated I have no idea. Our room is often a good 10 degrees warmer during hot days then the rest of the house even with the central air pumping non stop. The amount of CFM coming out of the 2 registers is so little it does next to nothing to cool the room. Hence why I bought a 12,000 BTU window AC. Thing works amazing cooling down our 20 x 25 foot room even with the tall ceilings (I know cold air sinks but it’s still added cubic feet that the unit must cool as air mixes with motion). Was only $350 at BJs but had to drive to Rochester to get it (on that 95 degree day last week) as all the Buffalo locations were sold out and even the Victor location I went to only had 2 left in stock. I’m not a fan of the look of window air conditioners especially from the outside of the house but it’s by far the easiest and cheapest solution to the problem I have. Strangely enough in the wintertime that room does not get much colder than the rest of the house so I’m not sure why it gets so much hotter in summertime. 

4 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Yep exactly how my house is. My master bedroom is an addition put on about 15 years ago and has Cathedral ceilings so there is no attic. The only space in between the ceiling and the roof is the 10” gap which is obviously insulated but with what and how well it was insulated I have no idea. Our room is often a good 10 degrees warmer during hot days then the rest of the house even with the central air pumping non stop. The amount of CFM coming out of the 2 registers is so little it does next to nothing to cool the room. Hence why I bought a 12,000 BTU window AC. Thing works amazing cooling down our 20 x 25 foot room even with the tall ceilings (I know cold air sinks but it’s still added cubic feet that the unit must cool as air mixes with motion). Was only $350 at BJs but had to drive to Rochester to get it (on that 95 degree day last week) as all the Buffalo locations were sold out and even the Victor location I went to only had 2 left in stock. I’m not a fan of the look of window air conditioners especially from the outside of the house but it’s by far the easiest and cheapest solution to the problem I have. Strangely enough in the wintertime that room does not get much colder than the rest of the house so I’m not sure why it gets so much hotter in summertime. 

Is it above the garage? Or near a wall or area that's less insulated? My son's room is on the second floor but his closet wall is the joint to the upper garage and us hotter in the summer and much colder in the winter...youre not having the second issue but it could be a possibility.

34 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Is it above the garage? Or near a wall or area that's less insulated? My son's room is on the second floor but his closet wall is the joint to the upper garage and us hotter in the summer and much colder in the winter...youre not having the second issue but it could be a possibility.

Nope it’s on the total opposite side of the garage, its connected to the rest of the house both downstairs and upstairs. Underneath our room is our family room and a small hallway with another bathroom. I really think it has to do with the cathedral ceilings (no attic) with likely poor insulation and the fact the the registers do not blow out much air compared to the rest of the rooms on the 2nd floor (not part of the addition). 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This week is my perfect summer. Mid 80s and decent dews. Night walks with high dews and that muggy feeling to the air with the crickets chirping. Everything feels alive. Just perfect.

Pretty much agree. 80s for highs, maybe get to 90 and lower humidity is perfect. Humidity rising this afternoon though.  We just had a shower of sorts. Fell apart moving north. Weak sauce.  Need a downpour for the garden, hopefully in next few days we get one.

5 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Nope it’s on the total opposite side of the garage, its connected to the rest of the house both downstairs and upstairs. Underneath our room is our family room and a small hallway with another bathroom. I really think it has to do with the cathedral ceilings (no attic) with likely poor insulation and the fact the the registers do not blow out much air compared to the rest of the rooms on the 2nd floor (not part of the addition). 

You are likely correct. My upstairs stays warmer, which is not unexpected but I have an attic (Dutch Colonial house).  I shutoff and sealed registers in the finished basement as it's always cold down there. Didnt help that much. I was going to install a supplementary fan in the duct serving upstairs but haven't got around to it.  I think our problems are either an undersized ACU and/or flow balance out of whack.  Would need some pro analysis to really know.  Actually, I could figure it out, I'm a power systems engineer but...lazy.  And the wife used to just turn up the ac until you needed a sweater downstairs...which makes me think my issue is more of a flow balance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

Check out Northern Maine today, under heat advisories.  Already 88 degrees in Caribou at 11am with a forecast high of 96.  Pretty amazing that Northern Maine will be hotter than any of us will get all summer.  What a wild spring it has been.  

Yeah, common theme all late spring/early summer of “over the top” (terrible yet awesome Stallone movie) heat. Guessing day after day of full sun at max sun angle produces this home grown heat?  I always thought northern heat had to originate down south and get funneled our way, clearly not...

7 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Yeah, common theme all late spring/early summer of “over the top” (terrible yet awesome Stallone movie) heat. Guessing day after day of full sun at max sun angle produces this home grown heat?  I always thought northern heat had to originate down south and get funneled our way, clearly not...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/06/19/record-heat-maine/

This article was awesome in explaining this weather stuff going on. Crazy to see how miserable the weather has been down in Virginia too...kinda like us the last few years. 

It’s really getting to be sprinkler season in my backyard vegetable garden. I’ve counted only two soaking rainfalls in the past three weeks. It gets pretty dry in Buffalo during the first 2/3rds of the summer, but this is really dry, really fast.

2 hours ago, WNash said:

It’s really getting to be sprinkler season in my backyard vegetable garden. I’ve counted only two soaking rainfalls in the past three weeks. It gets pretty dry in Buffalo during the first 2/3rds of the summer, but this is really dry, really fast.

I’m using more water in the last few weeks than I have in some entire years.  It’s pretty parched. These storms have been so hit or miss. I missed out on 3/4 of an inch by 10 miles today. Would have been nice. 

14 hours ago, WNash said:

Yeah its definitely drier than usual. June-September is usually quite dry, but it hit earlier this season. 

• Like 1