• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

59 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I do not have AC currently, except a window unit for my bedroom. But I am getting it installed this year, its only $2500 for the entire house. I've never had AC living at home or when I moved out. When it's really warm at night I just splash water on my face and put a fan on. My old apartment used to be 80+ at night, it was rough.

I never had it growing up until I bought my 2nd house with it and once you have it you can never go without it again IMO. We have it in our current house and our master bedroom was an addition put on about 15 years ago and the HVAC is very weak to our room so at night it wouldn’t drop below 74 or 75 even with the AC set to 68 degrees (the thermostat is downstairs in the dining room). We actually just bought a window air conditioner 2 days ago to supplement the central air for our bedroom because we like it so cold. Our daughter sleeps in our room so we can’t keep it below 69 or 70 but if it was up to me I would keep the whole house on 64 degrees 24/7. I love it cold in the house especially to sleep lol. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

I never had it growing up until I bought my 2nd house with it and once you have it you can never go without it again IMO. We have it in our current house and our master bedroom was an addition put on about 15 years ago and the HVAC is very weak to our room so at night it wouldn’t drop below 74 or 75 even with the AC set to 68 degrees (the thermostat is downstairs in the dining room). We actually just bought a window air conditioner 2 days ago to supplement the central air for our bedroom because we like it so cold. Our daughter sleeps in our room so we can’t keep it below 69 or 70 but if it was up to me I would keep the whole house on 64 degrees 24/7. I love it cold in the house especially to sleep lol. 

Why don't you get a 2nd thermostat installed upstairs? Is it expensive to do that?

31 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

In the process of power washing, sanding, and staining my deck. Despite lots of energy I am still cold. Summer returns next week! :thumbsup:

That's my next project with my deck. Just finished replacing a few deck boards a couple day's ago, now i gotta pressure wash, then paint. Hopefully this week i can get that done. Today I'm being lazy and taking it easy with a couple brewskis and a rack of ribs in the weber kettle smoking away. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brentrich said:

Why sad face, I LOVE IT! makes summer feels so short and fall is coming in 2.5 months!!!

Hey troll! Glad we had another 90 degree day last week after you said that was over for the summer in late May. Can't wait till we hit 90 again this week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Revracer800 said:

That's my next project with my deck. Just finished replacing a few deck boards a couple day's ago, now i gotta pressure wash, then paint. Hopefully this week i can get that done. Today I'm being lazy and taking it easy with a couple brewskis and a rack of ribs in the weber kettle smoking away. 

Yeah it's definitely a process. Replaced a few boards and exoxy a few more small spots. Wife is going to be staining today as shes still furloughed. 

I have a friend that is slowly chugging through the 46 peaks and he was up there this past Saturday working on some peaks and took some video of pretty good snow showers. I've never heard of snow in the high peaks this deep into Spring/Summer. 

Is this extremely unusual or does this happen more often than I realized?  I was completely blown away by it.

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

I have a friend that is slowly chugging through the 46 peaks and he was up there this past Saturday working on some peaks and took some video of pretty good snow showers. I've never heard of snow in the high peaks this deep into Spring/Summer. 

Is this extremely unusual or does this happen more often than I realized?  I was completely blown away by it.

From my understanding there are only 2 months in which you don't get snow in the Adirondack High Peaks. July and August. I've been there in September and seen snow and just came back in May in which there was tons of snow. I've never seen it in June, It has to be pretty rare.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

From my understanding there are only 2 months in which you don't get snow in the Adirondack High Peaks. July and August. I've been there in September and seen snow and just came back in May in which there was tons of snow. I've never seen it in June, It has to be pretty rare.

Agree.

Many years ago (20 plus) I joined some friends for a weekend hike to Marcy in September.

We met up Friday afternoon and hiked to a lean to in our shorts and T-shirts.

We woke up to a cold rainy day.  We still trudged up Marcy, saw nothing from the summit in the overcast and retreated to the lean-to.

When we woke up the next morning we had frozen boots and several inches of snow on the ground.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Albany broke an all time coldest 850mb temp record which stood for like 100 years, so the cold this past weekend was borderline historic. I guess it all adds up and it makes the high peaks all that more awesome that they can get winter weather 10 months a year. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Didnt they get a foot a few years ago on memorial day

May 25-27, 2013 whiteface mountain summit reported 3 feet of new snow.  

Absolutely amazing event. And now snow nearly 3 weeks after that date is quite impressive too. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

May 25-27, 2013 whiteface mountain summit reported 3 feet of new snow.  

Absolutely amazing event. And now snow nearly 3 weeks after that date is quite impressive too. 

Just checked All trails app and everyone reported snow on the peaks over the weekend.

A fun hike despite the rain and cold temperatures. At the summit it was snowing, and the views were non-existent thanks to cloud cover. Also, a very human-looking pile of feces was in the middle of one of the paths on the summit. The climb down was greatly enhanced by the company of the best trail guide ever, Patrice the dog. So points off for bad weather, no views and poop, but full recovery thanks to dogs.

For a shorter trail in the high peaks, Giant and RPR were quite challenging. 6/13/20 Left at 6:45 AM, plenty of parking, and finished around 2 PM. The first two miles have about 2,000 foot elevation gain, after that it doesn’t let up. Got to summit of Giant at 10:00 and it was snowing. Glad to have packed two coats, hat and gloves! Super beautiful. Rocky peak is only 1.2 miles further, but round trip added 2 hours for us due to the scramble down Giant being a very steep, slippery and technical hike. Wasn’t super crowded so it was a good choice of a hike during COVID. Total for us was 8.2 miles. All in all happy to cross off two more gorgeous peaks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Syrmax said:

Some rain soon would be a good thing. I've had to start ferrying buckets of water to the garden as the still young plants are really suffering. 

This week is my perfect summer. Mid 80s and decent dews. Night walks with high dews and that muggy feeling to the air with the crickets chirping. Everything feels alive. Just perfect.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2020 at 12:48 AM, WesterlyWx said:

You would need a second air handler unit which would be thousands lol. 

I've always thought the one thermostat zone in a house with forced air was a horrible idea. Hot air rises. The full sun beating on your roof all day also adds to the heat upstairs. Having my nest thermostat in my dining room is useless as its the room that is in the shaded, back of the house, so as long as it's 68 there it doesn't matter it's 95 upstairs and wildly uncomfortable. Imo new houses should have multilevel smart zones for heating and cooling because a house doesn't heat and cool the same everywhere.

• Like 2