• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

42 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

The first one is somewhat developing right now north and northwest of Lake Ontario.  Parts of it are already moving through Rochester. It’s definitely diffuse and disorganized right now.  The 18z nam has it exploding in the next hour or so. Looks potent but it’s the nam

Oh cool, we’re the headwaters of an MCS. Thanks. 

33 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Oh cool, we’re the headwaters of an MCS. Thanks. 

Yup! Pretty fun to watch.  Looks like buffalo is lining up to get clobbered right now and Rochester is going to be too far east. I hate missing out on these events, they are so rare around here.  The most intense lightning storms I’ve ever seen around here are always MCS’s.  Buckle up buffalo, it’s looking promising for you guys 

• Like 1

Looks to be some big hail. Really rare to see storms like this come from the NW.

...A SPECIAL MARINE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1045 PM EDT...

For the following areas...  Lake Ontario from and including the
Lower Niagara River to Thirty Mile Point...

At 1012 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located 10 nm north of Fort
Niagara, moving southeast at 45 knots.

HAZARD...Wind gusts to 40 knots and large hail.

20 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I can see the top of that storm from my patio. The lightning is absolutely continuous from this vantage. Just amazing. I can even see cloud structure.  I’m 50 miles away!

Can you see any sprites above? 

40 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I saw some 65dbz returns packed with cloud to ground lighting strikes so I figured there must be a nasty hail core in there.  That seems quite unusual for a nocturnal MCS

Warning with half dollar sized hail. Yikes. 

Storms from the NW to SE are always our best producers. That gave us the several tornados (Hamburg, Holland, Allegany Co) in 2017, the crazy Cheektowaga tornado of 2006 ( I believe ?) that crossed over the Thruway and hit near the Galleria Mall. Wonder why we always get our best storms from that direction? Maybe just because that’s the direction MCS’s and Derechos like to travel in our region? 

Either way what an awesome surprise and a great memorable storm, especially from the constant thunder and lightning. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Delta, you might get clipped by that new cell. Warning just posted. 

I just chased it and nearly got more than I bargained for. I was able to cut off this cell. Next thing you know I was in one of the strongest hail cores I’ve seen around here in awhile. I think I sustained a few dents and chipped windshield. Daylight will tell.  It went from whoa fun to holy shit really fast. Haha. Super powerful storm though. Absolutely continuous lightning. 

2F266CCB-6DC6-4566-B489-76D744011DB9.thumb.png.b167c38bd0094dc671ab3ffc646dbad0.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I just chased it and nearly got more than I bargained for. I was able to cut off this cell. Next thing you know I was in one of the strongest hail cores I’ve seen around here in awhile. I think I sustained a few dents and chipped windshield. Daylight will tell.  It went from whoa fun to holy shit really fast. Haha. Super powerful storm though. Absolutely continuous lightning. 

2F266CCB-6DC6-4566-B489-76D744011DB9.thumb.png.b167c38bd0094dc671ab3ffc646dbad0.png

The cloud tops topped 50k feet. Unreal for storms like that around here.

image.png.5da01c820304dfc6185926d59e3758f5.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

codnexlab.NEXRAD.BUF.N0Q.20200603.406.02

Lot of really interesting things in that loop. Notice how that first big cell that hits Niagara county turns a bit right and really dives straight south into the more unstable downstream air.  Nocturnal storms are definitely WNY’s best chance at severe weather.  

• Like 1