• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

10 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

My daughter was born on Sunday. Healthy girl 6 lb 8 oz. Brought her home from the hospital today in what may be one of the hottest days of the year lol (hit 94 here). This just 2 weeks after a day it snowed in heavy squalls that accumulated throughout the day. Excited to have another little one to share my weather obsession with when she gets older!

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

My daughter was born on Sunday. Healthy girl 6 lb 8 oz. Brought her home from the hospital today in what may be one of the hottest days of the year lol (hit 94 here). This just 2 weeks after a day it snowed in heavy squalls that accumulated throughout the day. Excited to have another little one to share my weather obsession with when she gets older!

Congrats bro! 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

93 in May is pretty historic in Buffalo. We usually only average 3 days of 90+ a summer. I wonder what the max May temp is? 93 has to be very close. 

It will be our first and last 90 degree we will see for this summer. I can smell fall coming soon!!! :)

• Weenie 2

21 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Congrats! How exciting!

I would love if this was the only time we hit 90s for this summer. People can't understand why I like cold...I can't understand why anyone would like 90 degrees...so many people are like, "I LOOOOOVE this weather!" Really? I don't like weather that makes me sweat and want to pass out the second I go outside. Bleck.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Congrats! How exciting!

I would love if this was the only time we hit 90s for this summer. People can't understand why I like cold...I can't understand why anyone would like 90 degrees...so many people are like, "I LOOOOOVE this weather!" Really? I don't like weather that makes me sweat and want to pass out the second I go outside. Bleck.

I have a pool and rely on warm/sunny weather to make/keep it warm.  So once the snow stops i'm pretty much rooting for a blast furnace most days (with afternoon T Storms for the garden and lawn). 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I have a pool and rely on warm/sunny weather to make/keep it warm.  So once the snow stops i'm pretty much rooting for a blast furnace most days (with afternoon T Storms for the garden and lawn). 

Same here. People that don't have pools or don't enjoy the beach like a cool summer. A summer isn't a summer without a beach/lake/pool. What do you guys do all summer? 

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

Put on a solar cover, it makes a big difference in the water temperature. Plus it really helps keep the crud out of the water.

29 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Put on a solar cover, it makes a big difference in the water temperature. Plus it really helps keep the crud out of the water.

I do that.  It's still difficult to maintain above ground pool temp in CNY unless the Summer is a warm/sunny one.  Two years ago i barely went in the pool as every time temp got up to mid 70s (my threshold) it would rain and get cloudy for days, dropping it back down in to the 70 degree range.  That's happened a couple of Summers.

31 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I do that.  It's still difficult to maintain above ground pool temp in CNY unless the Summer is a warm/sunny one.  Two years ago i barely went in the pool as every time temp got up to mid 70s (my threshold) it would rain and get cloudy for days, dropping it back down in to the 70 degree range.  That's happened a couple of Summers.

I don't have a cover, but my pool is in the sun all day. It was 80 the last 2 days. I plan to get one though, just a hassle to take on and off. 

11 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I don't have a cover, but my pool is in the sun all day. It was 80 the last 2 days. I plan to get one though, just a hassle to take on and off. 

It is a hassle but it does work.  During a "normal" summer i can keep my pool temp upper 70s to low 80s for the most part.  I've thought about getting a solar heater but undecided as to where i would place it so i'm still looking around, stuck in analysis paralysis.  

Not that it will affect us but GFS been trying to gin up a tropical system in the caribbean the past few runs and head it somewhere towards the FL Keys, maybe into the GOM.  Early start to the season for sure.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'll take it. Although some rain for my veggies would be good.  

This is one hot steamer of an air mass. Dewpoints been mid to upper 60s for days now. This weekend might actually feel "refreshing."  Which is one benefit of living up here in summer. As much as I like the heat...not gonna lie, some relief at times feels good.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Models don't look too inspiring.

nam3km_ref_frzn_neus_16.png

hrrr_ref_frzn_neus_10.png

Especially not over the Niagara Frontier where the stiff SW winds over the 50 degree lake will all but kill any kind of impressive convection. Best chance at something is over the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes over towards Cuse.

34 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Some severe weather potential today...thoughts?

Certainly some potential.  The more sun we can get the better.  The prefrontal cells on the high res models look better than the actual frontal squall line.  The Niagara frontier over to ROC will likely be shadowed as usual :( 

4 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Certainly some potential.  The more sun we can get the better.  The prefrontal cells on the high res models look better than the actual frontal squall line.  The Niagara frontier over to ROC will likely be shadowed as usual :( 

On one hand, I like being protected from severe weather by the lakes, but on the other, would like to experience some big ones sometimes.

Several rounds of thunderstorms are expected to cross the region from
early afternoon through early evening. A few of these storms may be
severe with the primary risk being isolated damaging wind gusts, and
a lower risk of large hail. Thunderstorms will also contain brief,
torrential downpours which may produce minor flooding in poor
drainage areas.

...A STRONG THUNDERSTORM WILL AFFECT NORTHWESTERN WYOMING AND CENTRAL
ERIE COUNTIES...

At 1232 PM EDT, a strong thunderstorms were located over Eden, or
near Hamburg, and the nearshore waters of Lake Erie in the vicinity
moving northeast at 35 mph.

Winds in excess of 40 mph and pea size hail are possible with this