• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

26 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

My girls dream house lol Sitting at 239k..

ISr1qypzudtsxi1000000000.jpg

I would buy this house tomorrow around here for that price. Something like this is over 400k around here.

This is the housing development behind my house and the prices. I can't believe the prices are so high in my backyard. Hopefully it helps my housing value.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3644-Delilah-Ln-Hamburg-NY-14075/2094805663_zpid/

I’ve gone from being annoyed by this weather to absolutely fascinated. Is it possible in the modern climate regime (eg last +\- 400 years) to experience anything more anomalous than this?  2pm on May 9th and I just had a blinding snow squall whip through with near 0 visibility, temp of 30 degrees, and a fresh new inch on the ground.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

I’ve gone from being annoyed by this weather to absolutely fascinated. Is it possible in the modern climate regime (eg last +\- 400 years) to experience anything more anomalous than this?  2pm on May 9th and I just had a blinding snow squall whip through with near 0 visibility, temp of 30 degrees, and a fresh new inch on the ground.  

I agree its incredibly fascinating but certainly not anywhere near as historic as you implied.  Just 30 years ago Rochester had 10 inches of snow on the ground on May 8th.  7 years ago the Adirondacks got 36 inches of snow on Memorial day weekend.  May is a transition month,  everything is on the table.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I agree its incredibly fascinating but certainly not anywhere near as historic as you implied.  Just 30 years ago Rochester had 10 inches of snow on the ground on May 8th.  7 years ago the Adirondacks got 36 inches of snow on Memorial day weekend.  May is a transition month,  everything is on the table.  

Yeah, I probably got carried away by the thunder snow.  I would be curious though to see how this stacks up against the other May snow/cold events in terms of duration and timing.  Accumulating snow 2 straight days during peak heating seems tough to beat. 

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Yeah, I probably got carried away by the thunder snow.  I would be curious though to see how this stacks up against the other May snow/cold events in terms of duration and timing.  Accumulating snow 2 straight days during peak heating seems tough to beat. 

I’m with you though, I think this is the latest accumulating snow I’ve seen in my lifetime. So definitely a significant event with a somewhat long return interval. 

We had ~2" of overnight snow near Albany, Clifton Park, on May 18 2001. Could have been May 2002. So once every 2 decades or so for upstate lowlands based on very limited sample size.  If this continues after dark we could easily see a few inches.  Although melting between 6 hour measurements, esp in daylight will really knock totals down. I suspect we may see some inflated numbers with people over measuring.  Actually, not sure what the cirrext protocol is when its melting between squalls.

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

We had ~2" of overnight snow near Albany, Clifton Park, on May 18 2001. Could have been May 2002. So once every 2 decades or so for upstate lowlands based on very limited sample size.  If this continues after dark we could easily see a few inches.  Although melting between 6 hour measurements, esp in daylight will really knock totals down. I suspect we may see some inflated numbers with people over measuring.  Actually, not sure what the cirrext protocol is when its melting between squalls.

Yes, the Rochester airport will have at least 8"...there I mentioned the elephant in the room....

• Haha 2