• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It really is incredible. 6 weeks from the most powerful sun of the year. 6 weeks after June 21st is beginning of August and usually the warmest time of year. 

It's been long thought around here that the ice boom clogging up the lake with ice is why we are cold well into the middle of spring...but I recently read the real culprit is Hudson Bay being directly to our north and having a micro climate type effect down through the eastern great lakes and the NE. So many theories I guess but one way or another something is responsible for it.

32 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

It's been long thought around here that the ice boom clogging up the lake with ice is why we are cold well into the middle of spring...but I recently read the real culprit is Hudson Bay being directly to our north and having a micro climate type effect down through the eastern great lakes and the NE. So many theories I guess but one way or another something is responsible for it.

I'm certainly no climate scientist and haven't read too much on this, but...I bet you would find that average temps here from about mid-March through May are much cooler than the rest of the NH at similar latitude for what seems like 2 obvious reasons - 1) frozen Hudson Bay and residual snow cover in eastern Canada extending down to 45 deg latitude; and 2) massive bodies of water (Great Lakes) immediately upstream ranging in temps from freezing to 50 degrees.  Combine that with building heat domes in the southwest US pushing up into the Rockies with a propensity for air coming off the Rockies to bend southeast, and you have a perfect recipe for a mean trough over the upper GL's/northeast US.  Seems like from Washington D.C. points west are immune from our seasonal spring lag/extended winter as they mild and green up on que in early April.  

5 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

There have been a number of studies on the ice boom.  It seems the general consensus is that it has no noticeable impact it. I imagine a couple microclimate (a mile or so of shoreline) locations might have a colder week on the Niagara peninsula that are directly next to the boom, but on the large scale its just too small and insignificant to have a real effect. 

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fulltext/1982/19820002.pdf

https://weather.buffalostate.edu/sites/weather.buffalostate.edu/files/uploads/photos/PDF/iceboomposter.pdf

4 minutes ago, cny rider said:

Eric I figured that had to be coming your way.

We started as snow here in Otsego around 1700.  

Still snowing, it's all stuck to the trees so it's quite beautiful.

Yeah, theres a roughly 2300' hill i can see but couldn't for a while, radar was an excellent tell and was shown excellently by the HRRRRRR all day which is usually trash. Its snowing moderately and accumulating. Just wish it happened 2 hours earlier. Either way that epic changeover saved this event regardless if it amounts to much, nevermind the calendar.

I see decent banding setting up overhead on the radar.

Should snow steadily here for the next couple of hours.

Maybe we will get 2 inches on elevated surfaces?

I'm more excited about the squall potential tomorrow.. My kids have never experienced thunder snow.

Just now, cny rider said:

I see decent banding setting up overhead on the radar.

Should snow steadily here for the next couple of hours.

Maybe we will get 2 inches on elevated surfaces?

I'm more excited about the squall potential tomorrow.. My kids have never experienced thunder snow.

As a coastal guy primarily that would be an epic treat for them.... pretty much the only benefit of being downstate is epic coastals when the cards are dealt correctly. I've experienced it numerous occasions. Jan 2011 I had thundersleet and snow the same night and was in my glory. Hopefully you get a good cell!

I just can't believe that even in May this year the 'Cuse gets whiffed to the SE....NW allll winter, and now SE allll Spring. 

We did get one good surprise at the end of March.

Even you Buffalo guys seem to be getting lots of surprise snow showers this year. Seems like every cold shot you guys are posting great shots of little snow events there.  Here, it's just been meh. It's like everything has ridden on a line from Ithaca to Cortland to Cazenovia and South and East of there.

12 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Impressive! Enjoy. I know this winter freak would.

Its cooked. But even though the 1.5" or so was a let down...the way it happened was epic. I'll never forget the changeover and accompanying flash freeze during daylight regardless of calendar date which only makes it more remarkable.