Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Banter 2020

George BM

33 minutes ago, RDM said:

Yup - agree.   Something 2-3 years old is still barely broken in.  With the rapid depreciation of new vehicles these days it's hard to justify buying something new.  I'm nearly 60 and have only owned 7 vehicles in my entire life.  Still own 5 of the 7 now.  Oldest is my 91 Chevy Silverado I purchased new in July 91 for $17K loaded.  Only reason I purchased new one then was A.) couldn't find any used worth buying and B.) knew I was going to keep it a long time.  Didn't think I'd still have it 29 years later.  It has no rust, 185k on the odo and the only thing major I've done is rebuild the tranny and replace the intake manifold gasket.  Needs some new seals and a gasket here and there, but overall is in good shape.  Would love to have a newer truck, but the sedimental attachment is too strong to part ways with the one I have now.    

I have a 93 with 111K on it. Just put 800 bucks into it for tie rod ends and idler arm, new front brakes and such. New front basically. Still runs like a top. Cabs corners rusted up a bit, had those replaced 4 years ago. Otherwise she has cost me nothing but to drive it. 

2 hours ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

For the hikers/park people on here, check for ticks after going out. Found two on me today when I got home from work! ughhh :thumbsdown:

21 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

And I pulled one of of me this morning.....they are out there thick this year!

I should probably start checking myself for ticks from time to time... especially considering that I occasionally walk/hike/run through tall grass and weeds in my local park (I like going through the wilderness off the paved surfaces).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Nice. Unfortunately I haven’t had a good Manhattan or old fashioned since I went to a bar and got one, probably in January or so 

Dude, when it’s okay, make the trip here. These are good. It’s a simple recipe of 1/2 oz sweet vermouth, 1 oz of Bulleit rye, two dashes of Angostura bitters, and a small dash, a half dash, of orange bitters. I pretty much always double it and add two Luxembourg cherries with a little juice.

Wr can act old and sophisticated, and drink Manhattans while shooting pool. @losetoa6 will show up, get drunk, and spill Pabst Blue Ribbon on the table.

Just another day here...

9 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

I have a 93 with 111K on it. Just put 800 bucks into it for tie rod ends and idler arm, new front brakes and such. New front basically. Still runs like a top. Cabs corners rusted up a bit, had those replaced 4 years ago. Otherwise she has cost me nothing but to drive it. 

Cool - keep it!  That $800 bucks will go far compared to payments on another truck.  That's where I'm at too.  Costs almost nothing but to drive it.  Replaced both tie rod ends and the idler arm on mine a long time ago.  However, all the bushings are still original and the shocks too, although as a group they are shot.  Been contemplating having all bushings replaced with urethane, replacing the shocks and the brake lines too.  Even if it costs a few grand, still a lot cheaper than payments.  Plus, I'll be paying for my wife's vehicle for a couple more years - the 7th of 7 that I've owned.  Bought her a one year old SUV 15 months ago.  Since then it's been driven 62 miles...   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nj2va said:

We live in the Fairlington neighborhood in Arlington and the HOA just announced that the pools (there are 6 in our community) will not be in open due to COVID.  WTF.  

So your HOA fees WILL be adjusted, right? That would be question 1, of many.....

19 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

So your HOA fees WILL be adjusted, right? That would be question 1, of many.....

That was my first question, too.  I'm sure unlikely but hopefully it means they're able to maintain the same fees for next year vs the usual small increases that happen annually.  

47 minutes ago, nj2va said:

We live in the Fairlington neighborhood in Arlington and the HOA just announced that the pools (there are 6 in our community) will not be in open due to COVID.  WTF. 

My building's pool likely won't open either.  Given that it's sitting empty right now with the exception of some rain water and green stuff, even if they filled it today the pool water would get sufficiently warm maybe sometime later in July if the weather is hot enough.  Big reason they gave was lack of lifeguards, since a lot of them come from overseas every summer and this year they can't get here.

4 hours ago, nj2va said:

Maybe they can use the extra resources they don't have to spend on the pool and apply it to the sewer systems and drainage issues they have there. Are they keeping the Tennis Courts open?

4 hours ago, fourseasons said:

My building's pool likely won't open either.  Given that it's sitting empty right now with the exception of some rain water and green stuff, even if they filled it today the pool water would get sufficiently warm maybe sometime later in July if the weather is hot enough.  Big reason they gave was lack of lifeguards, since a lot of them come from overseas every summer and this year they can't get here.

Yeah, they also cited the lack of lifeguards since they normally use Eastern Europeans for the summer.  I find it hard to believe there aren’t college students home for summer or others in the local communities who are certified lifeguards but who knows.

12 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Maybe they can use the extra resources they don't have to spend on the pool and apply it to the sewer systems and drainage issues they have there. Are they keeping the Tennis Courts open?

Yeah, tennis courts are open (pretty sure they require you to reserve a time especially for the more popular courts like the 3 courts next to the main office/Abingdon school).

7 hours ago, nj2va said:

Do they still pick through the garbage bags to see if they can figure out who put their trash out early? That place is the worst..

1 hour ago, George BM said:

Is this a future storm in the GOM this year? Also, do we get some decent remnants from it up here?

I don't know all the details but what I do know is that it suddenly teleported to the Chesapeake bay as a category five storm while we were all asleep.

Also, here's leaked satellite footage of multiple cat 5s in quick succession heading towards the mouth of the bay:

eadc1cf043d58f92ba9e3a940e272ec7.png

• Weenie 2

20 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Been told that all Baltimore county organized recreation is cancelled thru the end ofJune. So if you were hoping the kiddos sports were gonna start, don’t count on it 

pretty sure this call was made a while ago. my husband sits on a rec council for our area

56 minutes ago, mappy said:

pretty sure this call was made a while ago. my husband sits on a rec council for our area

Probably but was just confirmed that for the park I work at. I mean I figured It would be a while still but we were still lining the sports fields up until the weekend just in case things started sooner than later 

6 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Probably but was just confirmed that for the park I work at. I mean I figured It would be a while still but we were still lining the sports fields up until the weekend just in case things started sooner than later 

We are scheduled to start playing ball in couple weeks once/if phase 2 happens. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

and to be fair, each rec group announces as they see fit. just because my area made the call a while ago, doesn't mean your area did. either way, sucks for the kids.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nj2va said:

Yeah, they also cited the lack of lifeguards since they normally use Eastern Europeans for the summer.  I find it hard to believe there aren’t college students home for summer or others in the local communities who are certified lifeguards but who knows.

I guess there were some people in my building who were hopeful they'd let the pool area open up for sunbathing even with the pool itself empty and uncovered.  Those hopes got crushed yesterday when the deck chairs got put back into storage.

3 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Remove your security flood light because its shining in someone's sensitive eyes lol

There's a townhouse community right next to me, and the owners of one of the houses put in a backyard floodlight last year and kept it on 24/7.  Just recently it got turned off and it's not even put on at night.  I didn't even think of the possibility the HOA got to the owners.  The layout of the community means it's not hard for criminals to sneak around backyard areas (and there have been some incidents in the past year) so I didn't blame them one bit for installing one.  Now if the owners of another house could do something about their motion-sensor floodlight which is set so sensitive that sometimes it's like a little kid playing with a light switch...

13 minutes ago, mappy said:

and to be fair, each rec group announces as they see fit. just because my area made the call a while ago, doesn't mean your area did. either way, sucks for the kids.

Yeah the area I work at is used by multiple Rec councils and high/‘middle schools etc. I don’t know who exactly made the decision but it’s been made. Makes my job super easy but yes sad for the kids 

20 hours ago, fourseasons said:

We just got an email this morning about pool opening date. They are shooting for June 13th. Apparently Frederick Co. came out yesterday and it passed inspection but our community is waiting on the MD state restrictions to be lifted. 

About a month ago the pool company reached out to our neighborhood looking for kids who were certified for Lifeguarding. They want to staff with as many community kids as possible. And help with summer jobs. So sounds like they have enough lifeguards on staff if there is a projected opening date. 

• Like 1

FYI: beginning thursday you can get a test without needing an appointment

select sites in the state will have testing available without appointment, at no cost. hogan also directing license pharmacists to order and give tests. 

https://governor.maryland.gov/2020/05/19/governor-hogan-announces-critical-milestone-in-covid-19-testing-strategy-as-state-broadens-criteria-for-testing-dramatically-expands-testing-availability-statewide/

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic