Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Banter 2020

George BM

39 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

So my family has had quite the last two weeks. Not only was my brother in OH, an essential employee at Fermi Nuclear Power Plant in MI as an Electrician, tested positive for COVID-19. He has been in quarantine in his home with only mild symptoms for now. Then yesterday my mom calls me from FL to tell me that my other brother in GA fell off his roof about 45 ft. down as he lives in the GA mountains and their back yard slopes down. He was life flighted  to Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga. No family can see him as he is in ICU but my sister who lives in Atlanta picked up his wife and drove her up to at least be closer. Lucky for him just broken bones and a bad laceration on his head. The older Miss J. was supposed to have her recital this weekend, which has been postponed to August. And it is my sisters 17th Anniversary today hoping she gets to go back to Atlanta to be with her husband. 

Needless to say I have a rose bush. It has a mess of buds on it but as of last night they had not opened. This morning when I went out to water the front garden I found this perfectly opened bloom. The timing could not be any better. Mother Nature shows you her beauty just when it is needed. 

rose.jpg

And her loving compassion for those in greatest and deserving need. May all be and remain well with you and your family. As always.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Sorry to hear this. Know what you are going through. Glad to hear she is doing ok for now. 

Thanks. She’s in her 50s and otherwise healthy as far as I know. So hopefully she’ll be alright. So far so good. She can go back to her living home but they need to disinfect and properly be able to quarantine her first 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Drinking the Deez Nutz imperial nut brown ale I picked up from eastern shore brewery in st michaels Thursday. Not bad but tastes more like a dark barleywine than a brown ale. Needs a little more sweetness 

4333D7EC-AB5B-4A61-AE5F-D6D31A65F340.jpeg

Whats the abv?

That sounds like something I would like. I am not a big fan of brown ales, but love the high gravity stuff that leans towards a barley wine.

• Like 1

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Whats the abv?

That sounds like something I would like. I am not a big fan of brown ales, but love the high gravity stuff that leans towards a barley wine.

10.5 abv. It really is like a dark barley wine. I don’t taste a lot of nut or typical brown ale flavors. Pretty boozey

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

10.5 abv. It really is like a dark barley wine. I don’t taste a lot of nut or typical brown ale flavors. Pretty boozey

The only brown I absolutely loved was Founders Sumatra Mountain Brown, brewed with  Sumatra coffee. An Imperial ale, at 9% I think. Was more like a coffee stout. Loved that beer, but have not seen it in a couple years. Not sure they make it anymore. Love to find a stash of that somewhere.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

The only brown I absolutely loved was Founders Sumatra Mountain Brown, brewed with  Sumatra coffee. An Imperial ale, at 9% I think. Was more like a coffee stout. Loved that beer, but have not seen it in a couple years. Not sure they make it anymore. Love to find a stash of that somewhere.

I had it this past season. They definitely still make it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

It’s good. I had it at the brass tap in Baltimore probably last November 

The place I go to find beers that a lot of other places don't have is Atlantic Liquors in Rehoboth. If it exists, they have it. I am in withdrawal from going down there, and going to all the cool places like DFH  etc. I usually head down there 3-4 times in winter and and about the same in summer. Have not been since just after Xmas. Hopefully in another month.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

The place I go to find beers that a lot of other places don't have is Atlantic Liquors in Rehoboth. If it exists, they have it. I am in withdrawal from going down there, and going to all the cool places like DFH  etc. I usually head down there 3-4 times in winter and and about the same in summer. Have not been since just after Xmas. Hopefully in another month.

Head down this week, screw it 

11 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Head down this week, screw it 

I am back to going into work after working at home for a month. My summer vacation period is generally late June into early August. Hopefully things will get more back towards normal in another month or so.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I would never sell my 2002 f350 7.3 diesel truck but damn ...it almost stranded me again . These trucks have  huge rust issues....and not just the bed and rails.  I've had  to repair rusted through brake lines 3 times , rusted power steering hose and today the transmission cooler lines rusted through and i just  made it home . Just finished repairs ( 3 hours) . Time for a beer :drunk:

Get rid of that rust bucket lol. Probs get a nice deal on a new one right now.

7 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

So my family has had quite the last two weeks. Not only was my brother in OH, an essential employee at Fermi Nuclear Power Plant in MI as an Electrician, tested positive for COVID-19. He has been in quarantine in his home with only mild symptoms for now. Then yesterday my mom calls me from FL to tell me that my other brother in GA fell off his roof about 45 ft. down as he lives in the GA mountains and their back yard slopes down. He was life flighted  to Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga. No family can see him as he is in ICU but my sister who lives in Atlanta picked up his wife and drove her up to at least be closer. Lucky for him just broken bones and a bad laceration on his head. The older Miss J. was supposed to have her recital this weekend, which has been postponed to August. And it is my sisters 17th Anniversary today hoping she gets to go back to Atlanta to be with her husband. 

Needless to say I have a rose bush. It has a mess of buds on it but as of last night they had not opened. This morning when I went out to water the front garden I found this perfectly opened bloom. The timing could not be any better. Mother Nature shows you her beauty just when it is needed. 

rose.jpg

@Mrs.J, I am so sorry to hear about this!!  I know that at times, it seems bad things happen all at once like that.  Take care of yourself, and I hope your family will be OK!!  And thanks for the perspective, you're right, nature sometimes just has beauty when you need it.  What a lovely photo!!

If I may, here's a red rose for you...

249435255_RedRose.thumb.JPG.39b5de257948097c697cb22e2b146076.JPG

• Like 3

@nw baltimore wx, @Baltimorewx, and @C.A.P.E....not sure if this would live up to your beer standards, but I do enjoy Great Lakes beer from my hometown (Cleveland, OH)!!  They make some good stuff, and I've been able to find it in a few places in DC!  Or, I'll bring some back when I visit there!  Here's some Dortmunder Gold...one of their flagship brews, and quite fine if I may say!!

20200515171253_IMG_0698.thumb.JPG.6f54f214930cbd38ae29f8a6d1cd8ea9.JPG

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

@nw baltimore wx, @Baltimorewx, and @C.A.P.E....not sure if this would live up to your beer standards, but I do enjoy Great Lakes beer from my hometown (Cleveland, OH)!!  They make some good stuff, and I've been able to find it in a few places in DC!  Or, I'll bring some back when I visit there!  Here's some Dortmunder Gold...one of their flagship brews, and quite fine if I may say!!

20200515171253_IMG_0698.thumb.JPG.6f54f214930cbd38ae29f8a6d1cd8ea9.JPG

Yeah that’s not my style but their fall/winter beers are pretty good 

• Like 1

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Yeah that’s not my style but their fall/winter beers are pretty good 

Yeah, the Dortmunder is one of their "lighter" beers, a golden ale.  Personally I like that at this time of year, generally.  But I also like the heavier fall/winter ones too, especially stouts.  They have the "Edmund Fitzgerald" porter which is nice, and I've seen their "Blackout Stout" (commemorating the blackout in the northeast some years back) but never tried it yet.  I also like their Holiday Ale, has some nice spice to it and is pretty heavy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Start me a GoFundMe page and let me know when it hits 50K then I'll consider it :whistle:

that's low balling for  a new F350 superduty diesel with 8' bed 4x4.

Actually the 7.3 diesel is the most desirable Ford truck motor they've made . Funny thing is people pay top dollar for used ones ...even with rust EVERYWHERE. 

I generally buy 2-3 year old vehicles. Bang for the buck and still like new.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

What kinda whiskey?

It’s a Manhattan with Bulleit rye. I really like the spicy rye with the sweet vermouth. I need to start making my own Luxardo cherries. Buying them on amazon in packs of 3 for $54 is getting expensive.

37 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Looks exactly like what i just consumed!

Jefferson's very small batch for me.

I love Jefferson stuff. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

It’s a Manhattan with Bulleit rye. I really like the spicy rye with the sweet vermouth. I need to start making my own Luxardo cherries. Buying them on amazon in packs of 3 for $54 is getting expensive.

I love Jefferson stuff. 

Nice. Unfortunately I haven’t had a good Manhattan or old fashioned since I went to a bar and got one, probably in January or so 

18 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Nice. Unfortunately I haven’t had a good Manhattan or old fashioned since I went to a bar and got one, probably in January or so 

Ohhhh, Manhattans!  I haven't had one in some time, myself, but like them a lot...Makers Mark for the bourbon for me (and sweet vermouth)!  Also like a "perfect" Manhattan, which has both dry and sweet vermouth.  There was a place in Atlanta when I lived there (the Highland Tap, for anyone familiar) that made awesome martinis and Manhattans.  Friend of mine and I would go there quite often.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I generally by 2-3 year old vehicles. Bang for the buck and still like new.

Yup - agree.   Something 2-3 years old is still barely broken in.  With the rapid depreciation of new vehicles these days it's hard to justify buying something new.  I'm nearly 60 and have only owned 7 vehicles in my entire life.  Still own 5 of the 7 now.  Oldest is my 91 Chevy Silverado I purchased new in July 91 for $17K loaded.  Only reason I purchased new one then was A.) couldn't find any used worth buying and B.) knew I was going to keep it a long time.  Didn't think I'd still have it 29 years later.  It has no rust, 185k on the odo and the only thing major I've done is rebuild the tranny and replace the intake manifold gasket.  Needs some new seals and a gasket here and there, but overall is in good shape.  Would love to have a newer truck, but the sedimental attachment is too strong to part ways with the one I have now.    

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic