• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Banter 2020

George BM

DE governor says no chance of getting to Phase I before June 1. As MD and VA start to open, DE digs in their heels. This is going to devastate the tourism industry at the beaches for many years. So many restaurants and bars will fold. 273 deaths so far with half of them in nursing homes... I guess this is all worth it.

32 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

DE governor says no chance of getting to Phase I before June 1. As MD and VA start to open, DE digs in their heels. This is going to devastate the tourism industry at the beaches for many years. So many restaurants and bars will fold. 273 deaths so far with half of them in nursing homes... I guess this is all worth it.

VA is opening partially... N VA will not open for another 2 weeks -- https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/northern-virginia-can-delay-reopening-through-at-least-may-28-governor-says/2300290/

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam has signed an executive order that allows Northern Virginia to delay reopening as the region grapples with an elevated number of coronavirus cases. 

Northern Virginia can wait until at least May 29 to reopen, the governor announced Tuesday morning. Northam expects the rest of the state to be able to gradually reopen this Friday, May 15, two weeks earlier.

"While the data show Virginia as a whole is ready to slowly and deliberately ease some restrictions, it is too soon for Northern Virginia," he said in a statement. "I support the request from localities in this region to delay implementation of Phase One to protect public health.”

Executive Order 62 allows the following areas to remain closed, as officials there requested: Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William counties; the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas and Manassas Park; and the towns of Dumfries, Herndon, Leesburg and Vienna. The region has about 2.5 million residents, or about 30% of the state's population.

The executive order extends the restrictions already in place. Restaurant service is limited to takeout and delivery. Theaters, gyms and salons will be closed. Essential businesses including grocery stores and pharmacies can remain open. 

Northern Virginia has been hit hard the the virus. In the past 24 hours, the region reported over 700 cases. The remainder of the state reported about 270. On average, about 70% of cases in the entire state occur in Northern Virginia, the governor’s office said.

Northam said Northern Virginia could reopen even later than May 29, depending on how many people are sickened, hospitalized and killed by the virus. 

Had a nice little day in Cambridge today, just got back a half hour ago. Stopped at a couple of parks, went to RAR and not only got this great beer but got drunken tots (beer cheese, bacon, scallions, crab meat and sour cream) a steak and shrimp empanada and cannolis. Yum 

D7F8D8F5-BA89-4181-8DDA-CB32A1D1F53C.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

I wonder if he'll address the situation about the 500k tests . I heard on the radio this morning that only 1% have been used . Here's a link from yesterday talks a bit about it . Just delete if its not allowed. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wtop.com/maryland/2020/05/maryland-governor-asked-to-document-distribution-of-south-korea-covid19-tests/amp/

"We still don't have enough tests" has become the new "hospitals are being overwhelmed" anecdotal talking point. There are many, many stories out now of testing sites being so empty they shut down and municipalities offering free tests to anyone who wants one.

Just now, losetoa6 said:

I had to Google this.  I had no idea who this cat was lol. It's a shame that Ellicott city has been a flood magnet and now Corona.  I like the area and shops but I'd personally never start up a business in the flash flood prone area of EC . 

You don’t know who Gordon Ramsay is? Lol

9 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m not a big strawberry in beer fan because it tends to be too sweet, but jonjons brewery Stumptown’s kettle sour of blueberry and strawberry  (Blawberry Smooth-eez) is really good! Good thing. The two of us here just cracked the growler.!

I tried an IPA a while back that was brewed with strawberries, and it was damn good. Can't recall the name off the top of my head. I need to find it again.

17 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

This is so easy you can do it with your Miss Mappy. :D

oh it looks super easy for sure - reminds me of the homemade spanakopita my mother makes. 

15 hours ago, ErinInTheSky said:

As always, LMK if you hear something about daycares.

i will!

14 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

I wonder if he'll address the situation about the 500k tests . I heard on the radio this morning that only 1% have been used . Here's a link from yesterday talks a bit about it . Just delete if its not allowed. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wtop.com/maryland/2020/05/maryland-governor-asked-to-document-distribution-of-south-korea-covid19-tests/amp/

i saw a news report about that last week - i guess there was a lag on getting the tests FDA approved, which I thought went through shortly after Hogan said he had recieved the tests. I agree that he should document where they are going -- especially since the same news report said that many nursing homes are having to buy their own tests from labs in order to get everyone tested per Hogan's order. Doesn't make much sense to me why Hogan doesn't use the 500k he was given. 

35 minutes ago, mappy said:

oh it looks super easy for sure - reminds me of the homemade spanakopita my mother makes. 

Ah if you can pass that recipe along. I am 1/8 Greek and have been taking time to get into that part of the family that we did not grow up with. My grandmothers father was from Crete but her mom and dad divorced, yes scandalous in the 1910's and we really do not know anything about that side of the family. I am trying to do it through food. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic