Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Banter 2020

George BM

3 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Our kids are starting kindergarten in the fall.  Unless they are allowed to go to school with no restrictions we are going to home school.  Not putting them through wearing masks and not being able have recess and social interaction etc. That’s literally the entire point of kindergarten. 

Yep, same here. Luckily my wife stays home and has the patience/ability to do this. 

• Like 1

Mr map ran to Home Depot as I ran out of weed paper (for the garden lol), said there was a line around the building as they were only letting in so many at a time. 

extra layer of mulch it is instead. He said there were a lot of people out, glad to see they are being safe about it. 

happy weekend

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Our kids are starting kindergarten in the fall.  Unless they are allowed to go to school with no restrictions we are going to home school.  Not putting them through wearing masks and not being able have recess and social interaction etc. That’s literally the entire point of kindergarten. 

I’m not homeschooling.  Not only do I not have a ability to do that because of work, but I think any amount of social interaction is good for them.  

3 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I’m not homeschooling.  Not only do I not have a ability to do that because of work, but I think any amount of social interaction is good for them.  

We figure “social interaction” six feet apart with masks is not going to be healthy in any way for young kids. Rather just enroll them in some organized clubs, sports, and have set play dates to scratch that itch. 

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We figure “social interaction” six feet apart with masks is not going to be healthy in any way for young kids. Rather just enroll them in some organized clubs, sports, and have set play dates to scratch that itch. 

Yeah I can see that side of it too, but a moot point for my family since we’re both working during the day when homeschooling would happen. 

What will you do if schools “reopen” for just 1 or 2 days a week?

I have no idea.  It would be very inconvenient if my kids schools weren’t open, but the one I teach at is.  I teach in a different school system than my kids go to.  I hope DC, MD, VA, make a regional decision to avoid this issue. 

6 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I have no idea.  It would be very inconvenient if my kids schools weren’t open, but the one I teach at is.  I teach in a different school system than my kids go to.  I hope DC, MD, VA, make a regional decision to avoid this issue. 

Yeah, this and the daycares will probably spell the end of the lockdowns even for the diehard believers. It’s just totally unworkable. 

Yeah, this and the daycares will probably spell the end of the lockdowns even for the diehard believers. It’s just totally unworkable. 

I’m getting more towards your line of thinking although for different reasons, minus the whole culture war aspect.  We half assed this process so badly.  Im not sure continuing these half baked semi lockdowns that don’t really keep the virus under control serve any long term purpose.  I guess most states agree since they’re starting to open.  We obviously are far too ignorant and stupid to pull off the test, trace, isolate, thing that Asian countries, Germany, etc are doing.  So what are our options?

26 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I’m getting more towards your line of thinking although for different reasons, minus the whole culture war aspect.  We half assed this process so badly.  Im not sure continuing these half baked semi lockdowns that don’t really keep the virus under control serve any long term purpose.  I guess most states agree since they’re starting to open.  We obviously are far too ignorant and stupid to pull off the test, trace, isolate, thing that Asian countries, Germany, etc are doing.  So what are our options?

I think we will just plow ahead as Americans tend to do and the deaths will fade into the background.

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

We will definitely set up play dates and do sports.  But it’s just a matter of what the landscape looks like.  We had a play date with a good friend who is militant about the social distancing.  It was miserable for my kids.  She was yelling every 5 seconds not to get close and it was not healthy for the kids at all.  If school is going to be like that i can’t see putting them through that.

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

I will not Homeschool. I am already hitting a wall with the youngest Miss J. And she will be in HS next year. The older Miss J. has it all under control. But honestly there would be two bloody bodies on the kitchen floor if I have to even try to get the younger to do what she needs to.

4 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

I will not Homeschool. I am already hitting a wall with the youngest Miss J. And she will be in HS next year. The older Miss J. has it all under control. But honestly there would be two bloody bodies on the kitchen floor if I have to even try to get the younger to do what she needs to.

If schools are only open 1 day a week you will be homeschooling anyway...

22 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

We will definitely set up play dates and do sports.  But it’s just a matter of what the landscape looks like.  We had a play date with a good friend who is militant about the social distancing.  It was miserable for my kids.  She was yelling every 5 seconds not to get close and it was not healthy for the kids at all.  If school is going to be like that i can’t see putting them through that.

Yeah I’ve been thinking about this.  My 4 yr old now yells “look people coming, we have to cross the street!” if we encounter other people on a walk...not normal. 

41 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

There are going to be many reports of total meltdowns from parents and teachers once the schools reopen. A little kid is going to get arrested for hugging a classmate next school year, 100% guarantee. Schools are already pretty hysterical with the fear and zero tolerance stuff related to guns and violence. This is like tossing gasoline on the fire.

• Haha 1

There are going to be many reports of total meltdowns from parents and teachers once the schools reopen. A little kid is going to get arrested for hugging a classmate next school year, 100% guarantee. Schools are already pretty hysterical with the fear and zero tolerance stuff related to guns and violence. This is like tossing gasoline on the fire.

nobody is gonna get arrested for hugging someone. Unless arrested = suspended

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Social distancing will be impossible to implement in schools IMO.  Kids are programmed to be social, it’s just natural. There’s no way they’re going to stay away from each other all day.  Just have to accept that they will be in contact. 

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

nobody is gonna get arrested for hugging someone. Unless arrested = suspended

Kids already get arrested in school pretty frequently (more than the zero times it should be).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/09/22/florida-cop-under-investigation-after-arresting-kids-6-and-8/2411142001/

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/johnson-county/9-year-old-arrested-and-handcuffed-at-elementary-school

There are many such stories.

I agree it’s more than the 0 times an elementary schooler should be dragged out of school in handcuffs (minus extraordinary circumstances), but hardly frequently, that’s unfair. But fine, there could definitely be overreactions. I’ll concede that.

Just now, George BM said:

Random question @Mrs.J.

Have you ever thought of or do you plan on opening your own restaurant?

Nope. Having worked in restaurants in HS and college I know what all it requires. 

I only cook and bake for family and friends. I find relaxation in cooking and baking, and a restaurant I do not find relaxing. I am happy to pass along recipes for those who want them though. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Not exactly. I will not be responsible for the learning content. Which is for the best. Being Dyslexic I have my own issues still. :D

I understand that, but it is possible to buy full homeschooling curricula online. If your kids can focus and learn from a talking head on a zoom, this could work out fine.

So did my annual Mother's Day tradition a day early. All I ask for is an unlimited budget at my favorite local nursery. The only thing different is that I usually come home and start planting. I will not be planting till tomorrow afternoon at the earliest most likely Monday. Got a Bahn Mi from a local Vietnamese food truck that was at the nursery for lunch. Was actually a better day for some Pho but the Pork Belly was calling my name in the Bahn Mi. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

So did my annual Mother's Day tradition a day early. All I ask for is an unlimited budget at my favorite local nursery. The only thing different is that I usually come home and start planting. I will not be planting till tomorrow afternoon at the earliest most likely Monday. Got a Bahn Mi from a local Vietnamese food truck that was at the nursery for lunch. Was actually a better day for some Pho but the Pork Belly was calling my name in the Bahn Mi. 

Oh yeah, pho would be real nice...might have to do that actually. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic