Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Banter 2020

George BM

1 minute ago, DCTeacherman said:

Oh wow, awesome.  Been there a bunch of times.  During the super snowy weekends it seems like you guys are packed!

Nice.  Say hi if you are able to make it back.

Hope we eventually get back to the packed days of past.  

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

Nice.  Say hi if you are able to make it back.

Hope we eventually get back to the packed days of past.  

I absolutely will, love the beer and atmosphere there.  I started going up to Davis to ski at white grass in the winter of 09-10 and had been going almost every year since but the weather hasn’t cooperated recently.  I can’t even remember the last time I was up there in good conditions, maybe 2016 or 2017. Last time I was up there in winter I did a couple runs at timberline cause the snow wasn’t good enough for cross country.   

• Like 1

I absolutely will, love the beer and atmosphere there.  I started going up to Davis to ski at white grass in the winter of 09-10 and had been going almost every year since but the weather hasn’t cooperated recently.  I can’t even remember the last time I was up there in good conditions, maybe 2016 or 2017. Last time I was up there in winter I did a couple runs at timberline cause the snow wasn’t good enough for cross country.   

Pretty much the same here. My gf and I stayed at Jonjon and his wife’s place when they had the B&B some 12 years ago. Great people. The Thomas - Davis area is really beautiful, and their brewery is awesome.

• Like 1

Hopefully better skiing winters to come.  The last two have been horrible so we're due.

You should try coming out this way in the summer.  We're actually as busy or busier than ski season during summer for hikers/bikers enjoying the cool average July high temp of 78 degrees.

October is the busiest month of the year because of fall foliage.

We don't normally get May snow chasers though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Ji said:

It this because mappy dosent want to moderate the covid thread? She dosent have too...its banter

I’m not sure why you and others think the closing of the thread was my doing. I didn’t close it

1 minute ago, ErinInTheSky said:

I’m going to grab some mead today but for the MoCo people are there any local craft breweries I should try something from doing curbside?

All of what you said spoke to me. Lol. I highly recommend mead from Charm City Meadworks. Can buy it in most good beer stores. For MoCo recommendations, there are plenty! Here are my top choices in no particular order:

Saints Row

Elder Pine

Brookeville Beer Farm

Waredaca

Denizen’s

Astro Lab 

11 hours ago, jonjon said:

Hopefully better skiing winters to come.  The last two have been horrible so we're due.

You should try coming out this way in the summer.  We're actually as busy or busier than ski season during summer for hikers/bikers enjoying the cool average July high temp of 78 degrees.

October is the busiest month of the year because of fall foliage.

We don't normally get May snow chasers though.

I’ve been up to roaring plains and dolly sods for hiking trips in the summer.  I’d like to rent a cabin up there within striking distance of hiking options. 

The MD school reopening concept is making the rounds.

http://marylandpublicschools.org/newsroom/Documents/MSDERecoveryPlan.pdf

Sounds pretty terrible for the kids and parents, TBH. 1 day a week in school with heavy social distancing is one of the options.

That would be incredibly impactful to working parents. 

We are probably going to homeschool and use playdates and clubs for socialization.

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

The fall is a long way off . A lot of measures can be considered and taken between now and then . Hopefully the kids can return fulltime in person with obvious precautionary measures in place . 

My highschool girls were really disappointed with the cancellation of this academic year. 

Yeah, let's hope they figure something out. What's outlined in that doc is no good.

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

The fall is a long way off . A lot of measures can be considered and taken between now and then . Hopefully the kids can return fulltime in person with obvious precautionary measures in place . 

My highschool girls were really disappointed with the cancellation of this academic year. 

As soon as someone in the schools tests positive for COVID (which will happen almost immediately), they will shut down again. This whole plan is about protecting the teachers, not the students. we all know there are a lot of older, obese teachers locked in the classrooms with these kids and kids can spread diseases pretty easily. My wife and I are opting out, as the quality of online education for K-8 schools is subpar. They need the interaction and guidance. Luckily, we can do this but most parents have to work.

1 minute ago, snowfan said:

Yeah, let's hope they figure something out. What's outlined in that doc is no good.

It's really good if you are a teacher or a school administrator or a PhD in childhood psychology sitting on the board of education wanting to finally put into practice some theories you have in the greatest social experiment of all time...

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Are you saying on a school by school basis if someone tests positive or by district , state ? 

I understand protecting the teachers.  Hopefully during all this time the powers at be can get creative and innovative with safety measures.  Testing should be much better I'd hope by September.  Hopefully no hasty early decisions are made. 

I think it will be county by county at least. Like snow closures.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

The MD school reopening concept is making the rounds.

http://marylandpublicschools.org/newsroom/Documents/MSDERecoveryPlan.pdf

Sounds pretty terrible for the kids and parents, TBH. 1 day a week in school with heavy social distancing is one of the options.

That would be incredibly impactful to working parents. 

We are probably going to homeschool and use playdates and clubs for socialization.

What a mess. What will parents who work (not from home) do with their kids if they’re not in school?

50 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I think going back in person in the fall has to happen. Vulnerable populations will need extra protection in the workplace or work from home options. 

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It doesn’t have to happen. I could easily see it not happening at all. 

It might not, but I think it should.  It’s really a shame we ended up in this mess.  We mismanaged every aspect of this so badly.  We gave it out “best” shot which was a two month half assed lockdown that really hasn’t brought the virus under control.  

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It doesn’t have to happen. I could easily see it not happening at all. 

Our kids are starting kindergarten in the fall.  Unless they are allowed to go to school with no restrictions we are going to home school.  Not putting them through wearing masks and not being able have recess and social interaction etc. That’s literally the entire point of kindergarten. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic