• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Banter 2020

George BM

It’s so surreal seeing ads for food companies literally focusing on how they aren’t touching your food. I just got a dominoes commercial that was literally entirely about how hot the pizza is cooked, how nobody ever touches it at any point, and how they will deliver it contactless.

The world is gonna be weird for a while.

And now I want dominoes lol

• Like 1

It would seem that, at least in NY, staying at home is more dangerous than going out and doing an essential job.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-gov-cuomo-says-its-shocking-most-new-coronavirus-hospitalizations-are-people-staying-home.html

“If you notice, 18% of the people came from nursing homes, less than 1% came from jail or prison, 2% came from the homeless population, 2% from other congregate facilities, but 66% of the people were at home, which is shocking to us,” Cuomo said.

“This is a surprise: Overwhelmingly, the people were at home,” he added. “We thought maybe they were taking public transportation, and we’ve taken special precautions on public transportation, but actually no, because these people were literally at home.”

Cuomo said nearly 84% of the hospitalized cases were people who were not commuting to work through car services, personal cars, public transit or walking. He said a majority of those people were either retired or unemployed. Overall, some 73% of the admissions were people over age 51. 

Very interesting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mappy said:

MD kids will not be returning to the classroom this academic year, virtual learning through the end of school (june 22) 

That’s for Baltimore county, right? I don’t think hoco has been given a completion date, which is totally ridiculous since we are basically covering a section a week, at least in math. I’d love to know how many weeks I have so I can prioritize and plan but I guess that’s asking too much. It is totally infuriating to me how detached those in education that don’t teach have no remembrance of what teaching was like.

Excuse the rant.

4 hours ago, mappy said:

yeah i am pretty sure you couldn't even launch a boat if you tried. 

You can do pretty much whatever you like without ramifications right now. We were in Blackwater last weekend and it was a free for all. We just kept driving until we got isolated And then went about our day. And the roads? Fahgetaboutit.

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Yea. ..Some dude fishing off his 1984 runabout boat seems like the definition of isolation. 

Btw PSU...was there a LAWN CHAIR set up by chance along the pond edge :)

Shhhh they don’t know it was me.  That chair is earning its keep. 

Cant imagine anyone would give them a hard time. I hope it was just a clarification that yes it is ok.  

5 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

That's the spirit.  I taught my girls on the weekends some painting,  spackle, carpentry ,+ cars the past 6 weeks . That's some good that definitely came out of this ordeal. 

I am doing a project to scrape and power wash peeling paint off the cinder block and brick sides of my house.  I’m ready to paint and this same kid came up to me and said she wanted to help. I almost had a stroke.

Her helping me is actually great and I can’t wait to work on this with her. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I miss talking about sports and alcohol here. 

the covid stuff is exhausting. It’s literally on the news 24/7. 

red wine is the drink of choice for tonight. 

Had a nice cool glass of kefir. I’m thinking of trying a craft brewery this weekend, I had mead last weekend from a craft mead brewer and it was nice. Trying to support small local businesses.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, H2O said:

My middle school kid wants to go back. Which is surprising given her dislike of the amount of work they made her do

My 8th grader who was having a absolute crap year due to girl drama actually said she wanted to be able to go back. But I think it was that she wants to see her teachers. The 10th grader wants to go back because as much as she likes being home, she is better with in class instruction. 

It will be weird in the fall as the 8th grader is moving up to HS. Hope that she will get to check out the school as she has anxiety. Will have to see what plan the system comes up with for going back in the fall. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mappy said:

Hotspots are being given to families. 

Oh yeah those along the line in the higher elevations do not have internet connection, Comcast doesn’t go up there and vios is not anywhere close to expanding north either. They have dish usually for tv and rely on work/school/library/hotspot for online things. 

I agree. I know there are a lot of schools offering meals and it takes time to get them set up, etc... but 6 weeks, I feel, was way too long.

That's sad Mappy.  So close, but so far away.  Looked at the fiber coverage map and there's a sharp cutoff up towards the M-D IVO Parr's Ridge.  

Similar situation my brother had near my home in semi-rural Ohio just north of Dayton.  He lives just outside ATT DSL coverage (less than a mile).  Was on DISH for years with very slow data rates.  With no sign of fiber coming anytime soon folks in his area generated a unified campaign and lobbied for better service.  After a couple years ATT deployed a cellular upgrade that now provides the option to go with a fixed cellular AP option.  Provides Mbps speeds to fixed APs which is light years ahead of what he had with DISH.  Those fixed cellular options for semi-HSI can be setup fairly quickly if pushed.  Surprised MD doesn't push for the same in under served areas.  

Not sure we could ever live without fiber again.  Just checked our FIOS speed and we're at 82/79Mbps (down/up).  

10 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Did I hear my name called... Here are some cranberry orange scones. This weird cool weather had me in a tea and scones mood. 

FB19659F-562B-4A90-B2BD-5B360F8E3E4B.jpeg

OMG. I’m salivating. If i lived in your house I would weigh 500 lbs. They look amazing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nj2va said:

I miss talking about sports and alcohol here. 

the covid stuff is exhausting. It’s literally on the news 24/7. 

red wine is the drink of choice for tonight. 

Can we please talk about sex and sports. Most Americans favorite pastime no matter what their political affiliation is. We can all agree on something. 

• Haha 3

Welp, he wasn't playing much recently for the Caps anyway... but looks like Leipsic will be gone after what happened earlier today... wouldn't be surprised if Hathaway and Dowd want to punch him in the face

@nj2va @Chris78 @nw baltimore wx @Scraff

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/capitals/capitals-condemn-offensive-comments-made-brendan-leipsic

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That’s for Baltimore county, right? I don’t think hoco has been given a completion date, which is totally ridiculous since we are basically covering a section a week, at least in math. I’d love to know how many weeks I have so I can prioritize and plan but I guess that’s asking too much. It is totally infuriating to me how detached those in education that don’t teach have no remembrance of what teaching was like.

Excuse the rant.

You can do pretty much whatever you like without ramifications right now. We were in Blackwater last weekend and it was a free for all. We just kept driving until we got isolated And then went about our day. And the roads? Fahgetaboutit.

Yes, sorry. I should have been more specific. Baltimore County will go until June 22, other counties may be different. Thank you :) 

6 hours ago, RDM said:

That's sad Mappy.  So close, but so far away.  Looked at the fiber coverage map and there's a sharp cutoff up towards the M-D IVO Parr's Ridge.  

Similar situation my brother had near my home in semi-rural Ohio just north of Dayton.  He lives just outside ATT DSL coverage (less than a mile).  Was on DISH for years with very slow data rates.  With no sign of fiber coming anytime soon folks in his area generated a unified campaign and lobbied for better service.  After a couple years ATT deployed a cellular upgrade that now provides the option to go with a fixed cellular AP option.  Provides Mbps speeds to fixed APs which is light years ahead of what he had with DISH.  Those fixed cellular options for semi-HSI can be setup fairly quickly if pushed.  Surprised MD doesn't push for the same in under served areas.  

Not sure we could ever live without fiber again.  Just checked our FIOS speed and we're at 82/79Mbps (down/up).  

yeah, that sounds about right. those far north areas are disconnected. 

5 hours ago, yoda said:

Welp, he wasn't playing much recently for the Caps anyway... but looks like Leipsic will be gone after what happened earlier today... wouldn't be surprised if Hathaway and Dowd want to punch him in the face

@nj2va @Chris78 @nw baltimore wx @Scraff

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/capitals/capitals-condemn-offensive-comments-made-brendan-leipsic

Hope you guys are all well. I miss our hockey talks. 

Honestly fine if they cut him. I saw some of the comments. He’s trash. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Hope you guys are all well. I miss our hockey talks. 

Honestly fine if they cut him. I saw some of the comments. He’s trash. 

He'll be gone. He wasn't playing much after the Kovalchuc pick up anyway. 

• Like 1

https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/2020/05/baltimore-ravens-say-they-were-unaware-of-earl-thomas-incident-before-wednesday-night.html

Shortly after Thomas mentioned an impending explosive report in an Instagram video, TMZ published a story that claimed Thomas’ wife, Nina, held a loaded gun to his head during an April 13 altercation in Austin, Texas. Nina found Earl and his brother, Seth, naked in bed with other women at a rental home, TMZ reported, citing court documents.

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

https://www.pennlive.com/baltimore-ravens/2020/05/baltimore-ravens-say-they-were-unaware-of-earl-thomas-incident-before-wednesday-night.html

Shortly after Thomas mentioned an impending explosive report in an Instagram video, TMZ published a story that claimed Thomas’ wife, Nina, held a loaded gun to his head during an April 13 altercation in Austin, Texas. Nina found Earl and his brother, Seth, naked in bed with other women at a rental home, TMZ reported, citing court documents.

Nothing to see here...just an orgy with a blood relative!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic