Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

COVID thread is locked.  

What I think is appropriate for this thread is LOCAL-related questions/comments regarding the pandemic and associated reopening, etc.  Examples such as:

1.  Does <business> have curbside pickup?

2.  What is <counties> doing for school next fall?

3.  Can I get tested <here>?

4.  Is this <location> open and what restrictions does it have?

Policy discussion, case analysis, armchair epidemiology is not allowed.  

What about updates on things like daily numbers and new studies...so long as there is no policy or opinions of said data/studies thrown in?

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Ha. I think NFL will figure something out. They have time.

they will...but what many fans need to prepare for mentally is that it is VERY likely several teams will get screwed this season and that is just how its going to be and this will likely end up being an "asterisk" type NFL season.  For example...some players WILL test positive and the whole league can't pause because a few players on one team are out 2 weeks (or longer).  And there is no objective way to say if the player is a star player then the team gets to make up a game later...fact is there will likely be a policy that if a team gets crushed by positive tests maybe something is done...but absent that teams will just have to suck it up and play through.  And fans of a team need to be prepared that yes their star QB could suddenly miss a month with Covid and it could destroy their season...but that is just how its going to be.  That or no season at all.  

15 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Still RG3.

K that's not too bad. In philly we learned the importance of not having a decent bu if Wentz goes down. Foles was big on ball control and not turning it over and subsequently got Philly a SB. But when Wentz went down last year we saw what an elderly immobile over the hill qb was capable of.....nothing. I believe with a healthy Wentz another trip to the SB was likely. 

As long as Lamjack has someone half decent behind him as an insurance policy, the sky is the limit with this team imho. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

they will...but what many fans need to prepare for mentally is that it is VERY likely several teams will get screwed this season and that is just how its going to be and this will likely end up being an "asterisk" type NFL season.  For example...some players WILL test positive and the whole league can't pause because a few players on one team are out 2 weeks (or longer).  And there is no objective way to say if the player is a star player then the team gets to make up a game later...fact is there will likely be a policy that if a team gets crushed by positive tests maybe something is done...but absent that teams will just have to suck it up and play through.  And fans of a team need to be prepared that yes their star QB could suddenly miss a month with Covid and it could destroy their season...but that is just how its going to be.  That or no season at all.  

Fully prepared for Wentz to be out an extended period with Covid-19, then another few weeks with an ingrown toenail.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, mappy said:

HURTS

Ehh my frustration with that pick wasn’t just the fact you don’t typically use that high a pick on a position you already have covered but that Hurts is a high risk high reward long term project. He really struggled reading a defense and making reaction throws. He was very good last year because OK designed a whole lot of one option pre determined throws with running options if the passing option was covered. That kind of thing won’t work at the NFL level. It will take time for him to learn to read a defense and it might never happen. He is very unlikely to be a viable backup option for a team with playoff aspirations this year. They would have been better off this year signing a veteran quality backup. Long term that pick could work out though. But what fan is excited for 3 years away...we want to win now. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Ehh my frustration with that pick wasn’t just the fact you don’t typically use that high a pick on a position you already have covered but that Hurts is a high risk high reward long term project. He really struggled reading a defense and making reaction throws. He was very good last year because OK designed a whole lot of one option pre determined throws with running options if the passing option was covered. That kind of thing won’t work at the NFL level. It will take time for him to learn to read a defense and it might never happen. He is very unlikely to be a viable backup option for a team with playoff aspirations this year. They would have been better off this year signing a veteran quality backup. Long term that pick could work out though. But what fan is excited for 3 years away...we want to win now. 

i could care less, but it sure was funny watching twitter lose their minds when they picked him during the draft

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

He probably misses the Dallas game due to Hat head. 

Hey - hat head hurts too!   In 9th grade two of us needed the 1 XL helmet in the inventory.  (my hat size is around 9.5) We flipped for it and I lost. (no joking, that's how we decided).  Had to wear a mere large that crushed my skull when I pulled it down to normal position.  Couldn't stand it more than a couple mins.  Most of the time the bottom of the face mask was around my nose.  It looked every bit as goofy as it sounds.  Never been able to wear normal baseball hats.  Looks like a beanie cap up top.  

@Ralph Wiggum

My joke aside I feel bad for Wentz. I’m not one of the iggles fans who thinks he is soft. Everyone has to play banged up. But his injuries are the kind that preclude elite performance no matter how tough you are. You can’t suck it up and play through some injuries.  I had similar problems, granted no where near his level.  But playing soccer during my freshman season in college I started having repeated injuries. ACL, Achilles, various muscle tears. Once it started I never could stay healthy long again. It was extremely frustrating. I even attempted to resume playing twice in competitive adult leagues after taking several years off thinking I was “healed” only to have the same issues resume almost immediately.  Later found out there was an underlying foot conditioning putting stress on my muscles and ligaments. But my experience makes me feel bad but also nervous Wentz will never be over his health issues.  Last years injury was a freak thing due to a dirty play (imo) so maybe this assessment is unwarranted. We will see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

No, I don’t think so

This is something else...

This subforum definitely has a problem when the mods outright ban relevant discussions on topics that affect everyone simply because they are clutching their pearls and power-tripping. I hope the posters here wake up and demand a change. Good luck to you guys, but this is what a culture of reporting posts and demanding mod action every few minutes gets you...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mappy said:

MD kids will not be returning to the classroom this academic year, virtual learning through the end of school (june 22) 

Knew it was coming and fine with it. The 2 Miss J's have been doing very well with their virtual learning, Mr. J and I have been happy with the type of work they have been getting. And our district in FCPS has been chosen for a pilot project that allows face to face video. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mrs.J said:

Knew it was coming and fine with it. The 2 Miss J's have been doing very well with their virtual learning, Mr. J and I have been happy with the type of work they have been getting. And our district in FCPS has been chosen for a pilot project that allows face to face video. 

yeah, i knew it was coming too. this week has been better for us, daily class meets, have to turn in work, small group sessions with kids and the teacher. much much better than it was previously. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

This is something else...

This subforum definitely has a problem when the mods outright ban relevant discussions on topics that affect everyone simply because they are clutching their pearls and power-tripping. I hope the posters here wake up and demand a change. Good luck to you guys, but this is what a culture of reporting posts and demanding mod action every few minutes gets you...

lol 

34 minutes ago, mappy said:

well, Hogan's moves today should make some happy. elective surgeries back on, outdoor activities allowed again, etc. 

I didn’t hear about outdoor activities. Link?

Just now, losetoa6 said:

I asked my 2 highschool daughters how they felt if they were asked to return on Monday May 18 th and they both in unison said they absolutely would ...they miss school in general ...sports, classmates , some of their teachers:). I'm not surprised at all  by the decision though.  Man...I sure hope this Fall goes back on time . 

My middle school kid wants to go back. Which is surprising given her dislike of the amount of work they made her do

Thanks for the update @mappy.  I am not surprised that the rest of this school year will remain virtual.  At this point, the previous date of May 15 would only be ~4 weeks before the end of the year anyhow and I guess they've been doing OK with the distance stuff for the most part.   Not perfect, but it seems to work at least for older students (just going by my own experience).  Also, I'm sure trying to pack every school in the state with a ton of students would be a bridge too far in terms of "gradually" opening things back up.  Hopefully by fall, maybe students will be able to return.  I know my daughter in a lot of ways just misses having others around, socializing, etc. with them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I asked my 2 highschool daughters how they felt if they were asked to return on Monday May 18 th and they both in unison said they absolutely would ...they miss school in general ...sports, classmates , some of their teachers:). I'm not surprised at all  by the decision though.  Man...I sure hope this Fall goes back on time . 

i hope fall goes back on time too, and i hear you. mine tells me daily how much she wants to go back to school. i haven't told her the news yet. she's video chatting with friends and i dont want to ruin that good mood she's in.

Just now, WxUSAF said:

My parents already have a tee time for tomorrow lol 

our next door neighbor has been prepping his boat all week with hopes Hogan would say it was okay. i'm sure he's over the moon about the news. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic